mtbr member

Mojo with DHX-air 5. Setup questions

Ok...

I have just got myself a DHX-air 5 that i want to put on the mojo...

Now this thing has sooo many settings and features I dont even know where to start in setting it up?

can someone please give me a Lamens idea of that each of the air chambers/dials does and how it effects the ride...

I tried reading the manual and now I am even more confused...
    what is the general setup i should start off with ?

THanks

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I will take a crack at it.

1. Set main chamber air pressure to achieve desired sag
    2. Red dial at top of shock adjusts rebound dampening. Set it as fast as possible. You will know it is too fast when you feel like you are getting bucked off the seat on your favorite trails. Rebound is almost impossible to set jumping off a curb or bouncing on your bike imho. It really takes consecutive hits to determine if it is set right.
    3. Pro-pedal Knob – Controls low speed compression. If you want a firmer feel when you pedal or if you are blowing through too much travel when you lean back on your bike, add more pro-pedal. However, increasing pro-pedal reduces small bump compliance.
    4. Bottom Out Knob – If you are constantly knocking off your o-ring and have proper sag, you may want to crank this in a bit. It makes the shock ramp up more at the end of travel making it more progressive (effectively high speed compression).
    5. Boost Valve – Adding air pressure to the boost valve increase or decreases the compression ranges for both the pro-pedal and bottom out. Basically adding air increases the low speed and high speed compression values for the shock. If your shock feels like a marsh mellow when you pedal and are blowing through the travel on small hits after adjusting 3 and 4 above, this needs more air.

Enjoy!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by DH_WP
    Ok...

I have just got myself a DHX-air 5 that i want to put on the mojo...

Now this thing has sooo many settings and features I dont even know where to start in setting it up?

can someone please give me a Lamens idea of that each of the air chambers/dials does and how it effects the ride...

I tried reading the manual and now I am even more confused...
    what is the general setup i should start off with ?

THanks
    Start out by setting the sag 25% for XC, 30 - 35% for max bump eater performance.

Set the rebound JUST SLOW ENOUGH so that when you go off a curb in the saddle you do not get bounced back into the air, but no slower.. To say it the opposite way, as fast as possible without getting bucked off the saddle after dropping off a curb IN THE SADDLE.

You can adjust the propedal levels and bottom out resistance (via compression damping) to your liking by changing the 2nd schrader valve air pressure, and you can also adjust the bottom out point by screwing with the mechanical adjuster at the end of the piggy back reservoir.

Bring the shock pump with you on the first ride or two.

Ride, fiddle, enjoy.

H
    Hans
    Ibis Cycles, Inc.

mtbr member
    Ah thanks guys....
    this has really set me in the right direction..

i love the support on this site

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    To digress a little, Hans, what is your take on the pros and cons of the DHX shock vs. the Rp23 for the new Mojo HD? If you were to use the bike mainly for epic trail riding (say 2-4' occasional drops and typical Sierra granite type terrain, where climbs are a part of every ride (as opposed to bike parks, big drops, etc.) Is it worth the .5 lbs weight difference, or do you feel that the RP23 w/ Boost valve works adaquately for all but hard core big drop terrain?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by buggymancan
    To digress a little, Hans, what is your take on the pros and cons of the DHX shock vs. the Rp23 for the new Mojo HD? If you were to use the bike mainly for epic trail riding (say 2-4' occasional drops and typical Sierra granite type terrain, where climbs are a part of every ride (as opposed to bike parks, big drops, etc.) Is it worth the .5 lbs weight difference, or do you feel that the RP23 w/ Boost valve works adaquately for all but hard core big drop terrain?
    I'm going to check with some of my guys that ride very aggressively and have experience with both shocks... Getting a little out of my area of expertise....

Quick thoughts on it: The RP23 should work great for most everything and is nice and light. If you destroy shocks or have problems with bottom out, the DHX air would be worth looking at as you have more control over the end stroke.

H
    Hans
    Ibis Cycles, Inc.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Yea, I wonder how significant the Boost valve is in the RP23 vs. The botteming resistance on the DHX for everything but the hardcorps ? Also, seems that the xtra travel of the Mojo HD would provide a degree of bottom end over the STD Mojo?

mtbr member
    Hey DH_WP,
    Did you go with the dhx? How does it feel vs rp23?

mtbr member
    Got the DHX -air... have not had a time to try it.. still testing a Manitou 3 way ..

will post once I have a ride on it

mtbr member
    Was a verdict ever reached on the dhx-air?

mtbr member
    No verdict ... gave up as it was to complicated to setup...so swapped it for another RP23 so have a backup if anything ever happens....

sorry, cant help you on this one

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    The DHX is a funny beast. Looks like it will all things to all men but curiously two independent suspension tuners in the UK not only don't recomend them.... they won't even service them. I think someone at TF Tuned said off the ercord that they were a complete pile of crap, didn't work, inconsistent etcetc. I got this feedback when investigating one for my Mojo. I have ended up with C-Wals Push MX tune van R. Awesome mate, thanks

In short on the DHX, I was told in no uncertain terms that
    1) The RP23 is a better shock
    2) If I want better decending performance then go for a coil (not even the Vivid air is living up to the hype
    3) A coil over isn't all that much heavier than a DHX in the grand scheme of things

The DHX's I have tried on other bikes (06 and 07) have been woefull. I thought I was going mad but the rebound is so inconsistent on a longer rougher run that I would actually call it dangerous.

mtbr member
    I had one when they first came out and it was terrible. But I heard they got better... Only reason I was asking is because my frame showed up yesterday with a DHX-a instead of the RP23 that it was ordered with...

Well Biked
    Jun 2005
    I heard they were custom valved for the HD at fox. If that's true are the RP23's also custom valved?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by c-wal
    I had one when they first came out and it was terrible. But I heard they got better... Only reason I was asking is because my frame showed up yesterday with a DHX-a instead of the RP23 that it was ordered with...
    You should get what you wanted. What dealer? Why not get it changed if it's wrong?
    H
    Hans
    Ibis Cycles, Inc.

mtbr member
    I had thought about the DHX-a when I ordered the frame but I still have the memory of the wallowing mess of a shock that blew through its travel too easitly on the one I had 5 years ago. I would hope that it has gotten better, but I know what to expect from the RP23...
    Besides for most of the stuff I ride the RP23 on this frame is probably fine - it's not like I'll be sending it on Z's with this bike, and most things at Demo can be hit with a hardtail.
    At any rate I contacted the dealer and they are shipping me out a shock to swap along with the correct hub conversion for my rear hub.
    Ultimately at this point in time it doesn't matter because my hand is still swollen and I can't bend a few fingers after a slip up on Braile a month ago... So I've got time to get it all sorted out.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    What about other options, such as a Vivid, Van R, or a Monarch (all three available custom tuned from PUSH). I just blew up my RPL and am leaning towards one of these three options to replace it. What are the opinions out there on these, is anyone riding them?