mtbr member

Mojo cable routing question

I'm having a bit of a cable routing issue. My cables are routed as per Ibis instructions but where the rear brake and derailluer cables go around the seatpost, the cable bow out and rub my lugs. I solved the problem using a zip-tie behind the seatpost to pull the cables inward. My demo Mojo, set up by Ibis, had a section of inner tube doing the same job as my zip-tie. Anyone have a really elegant solution?

Thanks,
    2007 Ibis Carbon Mojo

flow where ever you go
    With out seeing it, I can only imagine that shortening it will help. My leg rarely touches cable on the left and never touches on the right. I ran the cable fairly tight but no tricks were needed to keep it from bowing out. When the rear is active, it bows more up than out I believe.

mtbr member

Velcro Cable Tie

Quote Originally Posted by cchough
    I'm having a bit of a cable routing issue. My cables are routed as per Ibis instructions but where the rear brake and derailluer cables go around the seatpost, the cable bow out and rub my lugs. I solved the problem using a zip-tie behind the seatpost to pull the cables inward. My demo Mojo, set up by Ibis, had a section of inner tube doing the same job as my zip-tie. Anyone have a really elegant solution?

Thanks,
    I put a velcro cable tie to keep the der cable in place. It is a very clean solution. (I thought I had the "problem" because the continuous cable routing I use in the rear, I did not think the bowing out was possible using the rear stops). II don't have the problem with the rear disk tha t is routed under the front der.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I had the same issues. I shortened my rear der. cable housing so that it is basically tight between the stops when the bike is unweighted(is that a word?). The brake line I cut too short by accident but it still bows out under the seat instead of somewhere else...needs to slide maybe. I dream about internal cable routing.
    A bicycle will take you to fantastic places....if you let it.

Ibis fan since '08 now rolling on the big wheeled Ripley.

mtbr member
    I saw noshortcuts' post and I went out to the garage to take a picture of the cable routing but naturally, when I cut the zip-tie, the cables didn't bow out at all. They seem to bow more up than out. It might be that the zip-tie "molded" the cable housing into a better position. Davide, in case this "solution" is temporary, where did you get those velcro zip-ties? I'm concerned that the plastic zip-ties will eventually cut into the cable housing.

Yeah, internal routing would be muy sexy but I aways felt like the internal routing on my old Klein created a lot of drag on the cable. If Ibis could route the cable under the top tube with straight internal routing through the seatpost and the support just above the shock mount, that might be straight enough to avoid any odd kinks. Having said that, I'm pretty dang happy with my Mojo as is.
    2007 Ibis Carbon Mojo

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Davide
    I put a velcro cable tie to keep the der cable in place.
    Davide, where did you find the velcro cable tie?

Thanks,
    2007 Ibis Carbon Mojo

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cchough
    Davide, where did you find the velcro cable tie?

Thanks,
    You can find them in a bunch of places but I got them here http://cableorganizer.com/wire-wrap/

http://cableorganizer.com has a lot of neat products, the side entry braided sleeve is what I use to cover the cables on the top tube

have fun!

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    The cables only bow out when you are sitting on the bike. I wonder if the I-link cable system might work better? Or maybe I'll try to loosen the cable tie on the brake line so it can move there.

mtbr member
    Cool, thanks for the pointer. The plastic zip-tie works well enough but the plastic XTR cable housing looks prone to damage so I think the velcro/fabric ties are the way to go.

Thanks,
    2007 Ibis Carbon Mojo

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I had some ghost shifting issues so I replaced the housings at the rear deraileur with one piece from the back of the top tube to the rear der. I haven't thrash tested it yet but I'll let you know Monday how it worked out.

jceahodges

Idea! Another option...

I just built up my Mojo and was looking for other ideas to loosely connect the disc brake hose and rear derailleur in order to keep them from bowing out too much. First, I kept both of them as short as possible and secondly, I found an old nylon key chain that was about 2.5-3" long and had a small loop on either end. I fed the rear derailleur cable thru one of the loops and had my teenage daughter to unsew the other loop, insert the brake hose and re-sew the other loop. That's it... and it works great! Take a look at the image and it'll make more sense. I adapted a nylon key chain, but any piece of nylon and a sewing kit will work wonders. Hope this helps.
    Attached Images Attached Images