Compulsive Bike Builder

Mojo and a bigger fork?

A quick look on the forum and web, and I cannot find a Mojo with a Talas 36 or Lyrik 2 step.

Has anyone gone this route? Ibis says thumbs up to a 160 mm fork on the Mojo, and as long as you get one with adjustable travel you have your choice of geometry.

Any pics? Feedback? My own feelings are I like the Talas 36 or Lyric for steering precision, the 20 mm thru axle, and gobs of travel. A Pike U-turn Air might give me the stiffness I like with a shorter stroke, lighter fork better suited to the Mojo, though. Hmm.... Until the frame comes in, I have plenty of time to think and discuss...
    Disclaimer: ComCycle USA

holding back the darkness
    I'm running a Maverick DUC32 which is at that 160mm zone you mentioned. It seems to be about perfect. The climbing mode shaves about 3 inches or so off that and makes the handling a little twitchy, but great for going up; and the fact the the adjuster knob is on top of the upper crown makes it that much easier to get to. But I digress.
    160mm set up with an appropriate amount of sag makes my mojo feel ultra stable, but still very precise. I dunno if the axle offset of the 24mm system makes a difference in this regard.
    For reference, I'm a 175lbs all-mountain-ish guy. I don't do huge hucks and drops, but I do ride fast downhill and try to go fast uphill.
    **** censorship

www.derbyrims.com
    I'll be getting a 130 - 160 mm wind-down fork form my Large Mojo, probably the '07 Nixon Elite (coil) with firm spring for mine when I find a low price later. For desert chunky rock and fast sandy downhill conditions I'd like a little slower steering and more pedal clearance than my 145 mm fork allows. I'll probably still run 140mm travel most of the time only extending it to 160 for those desert type or very rough trail conditions.

I've wound down my current '06 Nixon Elite from 145 to 115 once for climbing but it didn't make much difference in climbing ease, the Mojo climbs so well as is.

6'6 Tall Tom mentioned he prefers to run his size XL at 130mm for best cornering and handling feel, even on very rocky trails. I imagine the slightly quicker steering angle balances with the longer wheelbase better on most trails.

For riding more aggressive bigger rocks and jumps the 160mm forks would suit the purpose well. Easy climbing would pretty much require an adjustable height type fork to keep the front end down.

mtbr member

Marz 55

Quote Originally Posted by DirtDad
    A quick look on the forum and web, and I cannot find a Mojo with a Talas 36 or Lyrik 2 step.

Has anyone gone this route? Ibis says thumbs up to a 160 mm fork on the Mojo, and as long as you get one with adjustable travel you have your choice of geometry.

Any pics? Feedback? My own feelings are I like the Talas 36 or Lyric for steering precision, the 20 mm thru axle, and gobs of travel. A Pike U-turn Air might give me the stiffness I like with a shorter stroke, lighter fork better suited to the Mojo, though. Hmm.... Until the frame comes in, I have plenty of time to think and discuss...
    It might be the one that makes me go back to Marzocchi ... a one pound weight gain but my Fox Float is not really so great
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    My wife runs an 06 Marz All Mountian on her Mojo. She runs it at 150mm and the bike still climbs just fine. So far she's ridden in Moab, St George, Sedona and Albuquerque with no complaints, in fact she loves the fork.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I have a first generation 110 - 150mm Fox Talas 36 on my Mojo (took it off of my Enduro and put a Totem on the Enduro).

As far as geometry goes the 110mm setting (which has the same axle to crown as a 125mm Fox 32 fork) is perfect for cross country for the best combination of up, flats, handling, and downhill. If I was going to set up for cross country racing a little steeper with a shorter fork would be preferable for climbing speed but would suffer a little on the downhill. In the 150mm mode it is super stable and holds a line really well and rips on the downhill, but definitely is not as good on the steep climbs. In the middle setting which is roughly the same A/C as a 140mm 32mm Fox it is great for rough trails but not as good as the 110mm setting for up and down terrain.

With the stifff Mojo frame and the stiff 36 - 20mm axle fork, the bike is absolutely beautiful for tracking, stability, and suspension action. I could save some weight on the front end by going to a smaller fork, but would only consider that for cross country racing, as the feel of the bike with the 36 is SWEET