mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Mojo balance for tall guys

Hi guys,

A question I am pondering for my build: as I'm tall (6'6" / 2meters), I have relatively long legs (99cm), which puts the saddle pretty high and, accordingly, far over the back wheel. I am planning a build with an XL frame and a 120mm stem, as recommended by TallTom.

On my other bike, a Bionicon Edison, with similarish geometry (same TT length, but variable geometry), I find that I really need to collapse the fork on steeper climbs to be able to keep the front wheel down.

I often read from Mojo owners that the bike is very nicely balanced and that they don't need the climbing aid of a Talas, Pace, or so. I wonder, though, if this also applies for people my size, or whether I will need to collapse the fork for good climbing.

Thanks for any tips, especially from other tall riders who may be dealing with similar issues.

Cheers,
    Jeverb

MountainGoat aka OldGoat
    I have a friend who is 6'5" and rides with a Talas RLC and he uses the adjustment all the time. He is on a XL stumpy. Hope this helps
    Vote with your feet.
    No bike is perfect!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Thanks for the help. Would be cool to hear from some Mojo riders, too.

Cheers
    Jever

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jever98
    Hi guys,

A question I am pondering for my build: as I'm tall (6'6" / 2meters), I have relatively long legs (99cm), which puts the saddle pretty high and, accordingly, far over the back wheel. I am planning a build with an XL frame and a 120mm stem, as recommended by TallTom.

On my other bike, a Bionicon Edison, with similarish geometry (same TT length, but variable geometry), I find that I really need to collapse the fork on steeper climbs to be able to keep the front wheel down.

I often read from Mojo owners that the bike is very nicely balanced and that they don't need the climbing aid of a Talas, Pace, or so. I wonder, though, if this also applies for people my size, or whether I will need to collapse the fork for good climbing.

Thanks for any tips, especially from other tall riders who may be dealing with similar issues.

Cheers,
    Jeverb
    Rider on S size have same ''problems'' or wishes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I would go with an adjustable fork. My medium Mojo is on the small side for me [5'10" / 1.78m] and I have the seat high and back over the wheel much like you describe where you expect to be on the XL.

Currently my stem is 100mm which I might change to 110mm. At standstill my grips are roughly 1/2" / 1cm above seat height in the current configuration and likely to end up a bit lower soon.

Normal climbs are great in that position with the TALAS at full extension of 140 mm, but on really steep climbs I much prefer to be at 120 mm or even fully down at 100 mm.

mnt bike laws of physics
    jever98, You have great tastes in bike, or at least the same tastes as mine.

I am 6'4" with a balanced build. I do not own either of these bikes, but they would be my next choice.
    The Mojo has a lower BB height than the Edison, so if you are doing lots of technical climbing, lowering the front end may give you problems smacking stuff and slowing you down quick.
    However, with your build, your Center of Gravity will be farther back than most, and the need to get your weight forward will be more necessary. I would, at the very least, consider moving your seat more forward than you have on your Bionicon. I would definitely get an adjustable fork as well. For the steepest climbs, you will need it.

I would very much like to hear your comparison between the Mojo and the Edison. Especially the rear suspension quality.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    @yogiprophet: sure, will be very happy to compare once the mojo is built and the weather has become warmer and the snow gone, so I can actually ride again...

Thanks for the input and will keep you posted.

mtbr member
    I'm 6'1'' with a long torso. I have a Large Mojo SL.

The SL ability to climb surpasses that of any bike that I have utilized in the past 15 years. The front stays planted. Climbing utilizing the lockouts make the SL much taller and less tractable in my opinion than a active properly setup suspension. I feel more tractable with the suspension engaged. Honestly, its not logical how good this bike climbs. I was religious about locking out my olds bikes.

As to the statement about the low bottom bracket, its dead accurate. I would be afraid to lower this bike for a climb because crank,pedal drag is a real issue. Make sure you purchase ultra tough pedals because they will take insane amount of abuse hitting everything. Without doubt, the advantages of the BB height outweigh this issue.

Therefore, climbing aids are needed on every bike I have ever ridden other than the mojo SL. Your weighted so neutrally between front and rear coupled with positive traction that you can and will climb anything without the need for aids.

In conclusion, listen to yogi, dropping your front end will only cause problems. Lockouts up front were a great fix for the bad bike designs and poor forks of the past but, the SL geometry in my opinion makes this need obsolete. The front will stay planted. You most likely will purchase a fork with these features but you will not need or use them.