mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Mojo with 150mm fork?

How does the Mojo ride and especially climb with a 150 mm fork? I am thinking about getting a revelation, but not sure if I need the U turn model. Non U turn is quite a bit cheaper. Does the DWL sit up high enough in the travel to accomodate a 150mm fork on long extended climbs (think Utah/Colorado)?

www.derbyrims.com
    Not much difference climbing, no difference if you set your bars a little lower and seat forward slightly to maintain your favorite weight center over the pedals and wheels you had previously with 140mm travel. Handling and climbing balance is a tad bit slower but smoother hitting rocks and more stable downhill.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I haven't ridden the bike yet. I bought the frame and am still building it up. I know I want a 150mm Revelation, but not sure if I need the U turn or not. Thanks for the input.

Quote Originally Posted by derby
    Not much difference climbing, no difference if you set your bars a little lower and seat forward slightly to maintain your favorite weight center over the pedals and wheels you had previously with 140mm travel. Handling and climbing balance is a tad bit slower but smoother hitting rocks and more stable downhill.

Grams Light Bikes
    The extra travel is worth the slightly slower steering and head angle difference. It only takes a ride or two, and you'll forget the height difference. The only time it rears its ugly head is on super steep climbs, and some extra body English forward and slight dip of the elbows and its fine.

aka dan51
    I just put a 150 Rev dual air on my Mojo 2 days ago. It climbs fine until the hill gets steep. I was seriously wishing I still had the coil u-turn back on the bike so I could drop it down to 115mm. Granted these were super steep fireroads, probably 18%+ grade. The front end got super light and twitchy, and a few times I had to dismount because of it. It could also be that the Lyrik weight 2lbs more and helped keep the front end down. Moderate climbs were fine.

That said, I was super surprised with how the fork felt. I've been on coil for 5 years, and this thing was buttery smooth on day one. It should only get better too.
    Those who know, ride a Mojo AND a Mojo HD.
    Quadzilla
    Quote Originally Posted by benja55
    Ok, whatever, cold water on my bike boner right there.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by pastajet
    The extra travel is worth the slightly slower steering and head angle difference. It only takes a ride or two, and you'll forget the height difference. The only time it rears its ugly head is on super steep climbs, and some extra body English forward and slight dip of the elbows and its fine.

Agreed. I run a fixed 160 Lyrik and was showing some guys how to tackle a super steep climb on bikes with less travel. Once changing technique they all went up no problem.
    I will be changing my solo air cart to coil u-turn shortly though. Then I will be buying a set of Revs. At that point I will have a dual setup ( coil shock, coil forks and Rp23 shock and Revs) Result... a truly versatile Mojo!

T.W.O.
    I run Duc32 with 650b front it still climbs great, not a whole lot of wheelie on steep climb either. I have my Duc32 climb mode disable. I never use it.

flow where ever you go
    I do steep climbs every day I ride and have no problems. The front end is not light at all (as long as I'm balanced on the bike properly). I'm running 150mm DT swiss fork and 650b front rim. I have 100mm stem and a small frame though many would say a medium frame would be my fit. I do notice a lighter front end when I've tried shorter stems.

"I must not be crazy because I'm seriously questioning my sanity"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pastajet
    What he said - I went for the FLoat 150 - thought about the Talas but figured it was less to go wrong. Haven't regretted not going for the travel adjust at all.

Dropshot Champ!
    Quote Originally Posted by dan51
    I just put a 150 Rev dual air on my Mojo 2 days ago. It climbs fine until the hill gets steep. I was seriously wishing I still had the coil u-turn back on the bike so I could drop it down to 115mm. Granted these were super steep fireroads, probably 18%+ grade. The front end got super light and twitchy, and a few times I had to dismount because of it. It could also be that the Lyrik weight 2lbs more and helped keep the front end down. Moderate climbs were fine.

That said, I was super surprised with how the fork felt. I've been on coil for 5 years, and this thing was buttery smooth on day one. It should only get better too.
    you just put the fork on want on the color mojo i want.

When do i get a ride dan!?

I hopped on a dw turner and an 09 mojo yesterday at demo (parking lot pedal around) and they were great

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I just bought the Rev. Team U Turn. We'll see how it works. I've had the Fox Talas on one of my previous bikes and thought it was time to try a Rock Shox. I have a new Boxxer on my DH bike and love it. Rock Shox is building solid forks at the moment.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Agreed. I rode a Talas 32 for a few years, then decided I wanted a RS Pike for the increased stiffness. Wow, what a great fork. So, when deciding what fork I wanted on the Mojo, I immediately thought of the Revelation. Now just deciding if I want U turn or non U turn. I wonder if there is less "restriction" in a non U turn fork, kind of like Talas vs Float?

Quote Originally Posted by stuntwood
    I just bought the Rev. Team U Turn. We'll see how it works. I've had the Fox Talas on one of my previous bikes and thought it was time to try a Rock Shox. I have a new Boxxer on my DH bike and love it. Rock Shox is building solid forks at the moment.

T.W.O.

Try Magura Thor

I have the bigger version, Wotan. I love it stiff easy to use. It also had the travel adjust. I didn't mind that feature on the Wotan because when you drop the travel it increase the neg air making the fork feel softer and more plush, with the twist I can put on the pro-pedal to firm it up too.

Thor has the same feature and design as Wotan I'm sure it's plenty stiff for Mojo. Oh minimum rotor is 180mm by the way.

aka dan51
    Quote Originally Posted by redmr2_man

When do i get a ride dan!?

I hopped on a dw turner and an 09 mojo yesterday at demo (parking lot pedal around) and they were great
    You just gotta show up for a ride, bring $4k in cash, and your own pedals. Unless you ride SPDs.

I just got done with a 37 mile, 6700' day and now think the bike is fine without adjustable travel. I lowered the stem by 5mm (that's all the space I had under it), and it helped a bit. Most rides aren't going to have the super steep climbs, and when it does I just gotta stay farther forward, or walk.

I did a DH race with this fork yesterday, and took first place in Sport class. Time to move to Expert.

The Mojo is seriously the best bike I have ever owned. DH race yesterday, all day epic today, all on one bike... just had to change the tires.

-Dan
    Quadzilla

mtbr member
    Unless you plan to make the bike as light as possible and very XC-oriented, don't waste money on the travel adjustment, go 150, it will do fine. If you gonna keep it around AM bound, stronger wheels and all, the bike will feel good at 6 inches front. I personally felt the diference when I rebuild my Mojo from a XC-ish spec to a more AM wise build, and it feels way better for me now.

But have to confess, now that I went Lyrik on the Pitch, I miss that when I ride my Mojo on the Float 32 with those skinny legs! I'll probably stick with my SL for a year more, then will swap it for a Mojo HD with a Float 36 mid next year. The added stiffness and control you have with a bigger fork is amazing. I keep asking myself why did I take so long to invest on a Lyrik or a 36. Now I can never go back!

aka dan51
    Quote Originally Posted by redmr2_man
    Here's how it looks now...
    Quadzilla

Dropshot Champ!
    im on crank bros and don't have 4k. I won't reallllly steal it.

If you do MBTB again this year, you should lemme go out and back on the burmas or rough go tho!

bike rider
    I prefer the way my bike climbs with the fork in 4" mode to 6" mode. I use a DUC 32 and always drop it for climbs. Everyone knows that a lower handlebar is better for climbing and a taller one for descending. Why not have the best of both worlds?

Travel adjust forks fall into the same realm as adjustable seatposts, some people see them as a huge advantage that gives you 2 bikes in one at the flip of a lever. Others see them as unnecessary expense, weight, and complexity. Those are the people I pass on climbs.
    Keep the Country country.