Too Much Fun

New question here. Mofo fork options and experiences

Dear Friends, Esteemed Colleagues and Ibis Headz,

I'm beginning the spec process for a Mojo carbon. I'm currently riding mostly on a Nomad (when I'm not on my trusty old Mojo Ti ,) which I'm likely going to keep.

Needless to say, I friggin LOVE the Nomad going down. LOVE IT. Going up, not nearly as much. Part of what I love with the Nomad is the Marzo 66SL up front. It just devours big terrain.

My goal with the Mojo will be more of an AM/XC rig for doing some racing etc and trying to capture some of the joys of my lightweight ride and my big squish ride in one delightful Combo Platter .

So the question: What are my bigger fork/longer travel options? Whats the longest travel fork you can reasonably stick on this thing? 150mm? One thing I really love about the 66SL is the rediculous stiffness from the 20mm axel and huge stantions. I'd love the Mojo to get close to that level of point and shoot stiffness up front. I'm looking at the new Marzo 55 ATA SL and the various Fox and Pace offerings.

Your thoughts? DISCUSS! (and by "Mofo" I meant "Mojo" but it won't let me change the subject. You mofos knew what I meant anyways.)
    Last edited by benja55; 07-25-2007 at 12:09 PM.
    - -benja- -

Mojo0115
    Nov 2004
    As a stock option from Ibis you can run Fox36 forks. I run a Pace RC41 150mm fork with 20mm axel and love it to death.

My mojo is probably built very similarly to your current Nomad. I run a fox coil shock I haven't changed to titanium spring yet, 2 rings up front and a bash guard and Mavic XL wheels.

Other mojo's are built to a lighter XC specification - the frame is so versatile it really is a "do it all" frame - switch components and take it on a Keystone Super-D, switch again and take it on an endurance race.

flow where ever you go
    I also run the Pace RC41 with 20mm axel. I also love it. I have run a Pike Dual Air and love the Pace more.

DT Swiss now owns the Pace forks and it doesn't look like they will be producing and selling them until 2008.

The Pace RC41 Fighter with 20mm axel will be called: EXC 150 Air RTLC 20

"I must not be crazy because I'm seriously questioning my sanity"

www.derbyrims.com
    The Mojo is plenty strong for a 160/36 mm fork per factory stress tests done that put the frame strength about the same as the Nomad and VP-Free, the larger sizes being strongest.

I want an adjustable travel 140 160mm travel fork for my uses of the Mojo. Id leave it set at 140mm for nearly all of my rides near home in the NorCal rolling coastal hills where there is much climbing and not so much jagged rock condition. But when riding more jagged high mountain or desert, Id use it at 160 for more step up and down slope handling forgiveness and better rough climbing pedal clearance.

I like coil, so my options for wind-down travel are the 07 Nixon Elite or Lyric U-Turn coil. Maybe there are other coil forks that wind down in this range.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I too have some Pace RC41 Fighters with the 20mm option and would love to tell you how they ride, but the damn Formula brakes haven't shown up from the US yet, so the mojo is an expensive bit of carbon sculpture at present

Glad to hear feedback from ZZ and NoShortcuts about theirs - I'll post some feedback when I have clocked a few miles

Too Much Fun

The Pace sounds NICE but...

...From what I've seen its a $1k+ fork, right? At that price it better really kick azz.

I'm very interested in the Marzo 55SL. I've really loved the 66SL I've been riding for the last year and if the 55 can most of that goodness then I might just have to go with that.
    - -benja- -

Mojo0115
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by benja55
    ...From what I've seen its a $1k+ fork, right? At that price it better really kick azz.

I'm very interested in the Marzo 55SL. I've really loved the 66SL I've been riding for the last year and if the 55 can most of that goodness then I might just have to go with that.
    Nah it wasn't that much. But it seems for higher end forks you pay premium.

Pace RC41 Fighter Fork w/LC2 Lockout 20mm - $722
    Fox 36 Float RC2 - $755
    Fox 36 TALAS RC2 - $1025
    Fox 32 Float R - $500

It is always going to cost more to get more.

(but the Pace does kick a$$ )

Too Much Fun
    Quote Originally Posted by zzsean
    Wow, thats not bad at all.

I think I was looking at the UK prices and just doubling them. Guess I should have actually looked!
    - -benja- -

flow where ever you go

good news, bad news.

Quote Originally Posted by benja55
    Wow, thats not bad at all.

I think I was looking at the UK prices and just doubling them. Guess I should have actually looked!
    The bad news is that the 20mm look to be out of stock at places with decent pricing in the USA.

The good news is that once DT Swiss starts production, the prices should come down some.

The bad news is that the DT Swiss one has a lot of red paint covering some of the stealth carbon look of the Fighter.

"I must not be crazy because I'm seriously questioning my sanity"