Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008

metamorphosis - from mojo to mojo (superlight :) )

I am a proud owner of a vicious blue mojo.

After 1 and half year of using it I decided to make a small makeover

I like the bike, "sex on wheels" as many people say, but I think it deserves something better than (now) standard 10,7 kilos...

On this photo is the lightest configuration, created one year ago.

http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/3418408/

The vision is simple: create the lightest version, that is still an all mountain bike, no flatbars, 1,9 inch tires, tune speed needle saddles

The first step to the ultra light world was the SL frame. I could buy only the frame, because I bought my perfect rear shock, cane creek cloud nine one month ago. My favourite colour is blue, white is not hygenic, carbon.... not my taste

I find the sl blue more interesting than the standard mojo - an individual taste of course...
    I have blue links from standard mojo, the blue seat clamp too.

I will transform the 10,7 standard mojo to 8,9 mojo sl.

The parts from mojo, that go to sl are:
    - formula r1 brakes
    - xtr front and x0 rear derellieur
    - selle italia slk saddle
    - ritchey 4 axis stem (probably)
    - rocket ron 2,25 evo tires
    - cane creek rear shock
    - cane creek is headset

New parts
    - frame of course
    - cannondale lefty pbr solo air fork
    - custom steer tube 1 1/8
    - easton handlebar
    - ax lightness/tune-edge/tune wheels (3 options)
    - eclipse tubes
    - innolite/scrubs brake disc
    - thm carbones clavicula crank
    - sram xx cassete
    - ax lightness seatpost
    - power cordz/i link alligator cables and wires

the end result depends from some factors (for example the weight of tuned steertube, many products with big weight difference...)

So, we will see...
    I will inform of all project uptates

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Nice...

You'll have to get SRAM XX shifters and rear derailleur as well though.
    XTR is 9-speed, XX is 10.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    there are some options - i found gripshifts 10sp 100 grms, we'll see

must the rear derailleur be compatible with shifters? I don't think so... shifter and cassette of course.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Cool!
    Have to stick to either Shimano or SRAM, the actuation ratios are different - SRAM is 1:1, so for each 1mm shifter movement, the derailleur moves 1 mm, Shimano is 2:1 - sp they will not be compatible.

Who makes the 10speed gripshifts?

Stucco Bucket
    yea X.0 gripshifts are 9 speed. Im running those on my Mojo and Homegrown

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    sram attack + shimano = compatibility
    I use x0 rear der, so there's no problem I think. I have sram shifters.

http://www.jpracingbike1.com/Recon-G...-bbNaaajva.asp

10 sp, but I noticed now, shimano compatible only... that's not good...

Today I checked exactly the weight of the bike (configuration from photo) - 10,58, little bit less than I mesured before.

I would like to use scrubs or innolite rotors, but they are compatible only with sintered/resin pads... they don't perform best...
    Set of scrubs discs weight less than 100 grams, but they aren't idiot-proof...
    I don't know what metal matrix composite is. Aluminium coated? Anyone knows that?
    The second option are hope rotors, Heavier but user friendly.

Not too many resin/sintered brake pads on alu plates, I saw only original r1 from formula and they're not cheap...

I found an information about a new sram 9 sp cassete (same technology as xx) but this one will be available first only as 11-32 and I prefer 11-34 or 11-36.
    I don't want any kcnc cassetes or another aluminium something. I trust steel, shimano for example. I am not agressive rider but I want go home without any problems, on the bike not with it

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Lighter than this one from a good friend of my country?

My XCLUSIBIS bike

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    maybe... some of my ideas are lighter, some are heavier - my ass for example doesn't tolerate ax or tune saddles.
    this xclusbis is nice, but I prefer not so aggresive visual details - mine will be blue, the frame, so many blue anodized parts aren't my taste. I wil not anodize rims or spokes.
    Blue on my ibis is not the same blue on all parts - frame, fork, spacer, crank, links and seat binder, but I think it doesn't disturb. I saw a blue seatpost from kcnc and that blue was ugly...

Stucco Bucket
    Quote Originally Posted by Isurus
    Lighter than this one from a good friend of my country?

My XCLUSIBIS bike
    Im pretty sure he's talking about bikes that are ridden, not just propped up against stuff for $12,000 photo ops

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    do you know maybe how much the new revelation 150/2010 weight? I mean the 9 qr version.
    the information on the sram web page is 1620-1640 grams, I found an internet auction and asked the owner of the fork and he wrote me the same. my friend informed me in the email, that his rev '10 weights about 1790 grams, but with maxle.
    Is this possible that the qr version is almost 200 gram lighter?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I have the QR version - LOVE the fork, but am not 100% sure of weight.
    There are quite a few different models as well - which will also play a role in weight

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    yes I know, there are I think 5 versions, some of them with maxle and qr, the difference on sram web site is 1620 and 1636 grams - it seems to be for qr option.
    have you ever used any older revelation? I heard rs improved the dual air system. I wrote in an other topic, that the older one (2007) felt like short travel xc fork. I was a 130 mm version, the new is 150 and just that kan make a difference, but...

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    My stumjuper full suspension 29er weights 11 kilos and it cost me about 3 grand. hahah
    Your big wheels are so awesome!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Badpichu
    My stumjuper full suspension 29er weights 11 kilos and it cost me about 3 grand. hahah
    and? anything constructive for this topic?

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Great for you. My kick bike weighs 2 kg and cost me $100.

Stucco Bucket
    Are you bragging or whining? I cant tell.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I don't like the Ibis I would not buy it I hate the cable routing or lack of, I think its over priced and if I can get an aluminum 29er to that weight you tell me aside from the carbon what the advantage is? I am sure there is people that swear by them I just don't see it.

bike rider
    The Mojo SL frame is over a pound lighter than your Stumpjumper frame. It also has more travel. I have no problem with the cable routing. Take a look at mine, hard to see but the cables are short and straight:

At $2200 it is the most expensive bike part I've ever bought (only part I've ever paid retail for) but it's worth it.
    Keep the Country country.

Stucco Bucket
    I don't like the Ibis I would not buy it I hate the cable routing or lack of, I think its over priced and if I can get an aluminum 29er to that weight you tell me aside from the carbon what the advantage is? I am sure there is people that swear by them I just don't see it.
    Lets see pics of your $3000, 5.5" travel, geared, 11kg Stumpjumper

Cable routing is certainly a reason to hate a bike...

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I'd prefer some information in my topic ok?
    Spec is the best brand in the whole world - that know we all

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Here it is before a few upgrades, I will tell you what Parts I have that really help make it lighter: Monkey lites SL 31.8 handle bars 145 grams esi grips at 59 grams 4x thomson steam at 160ish I think, ec90 seatpost at 170 grams sette italia carbonio saddle at 140 grams, xtr cassette x9 deraillour short cage xtr cranks not pictured, stans arches with hope hubs not pictured that are just above 1700 grams. Its a light weight 29er that I ride everywere and its pretty light.

mtbr member
    Here it is before a few upgrades, I will tell you what Parts I have that really help make it lighter: Monkey lites SL 31.8 handle bars 145 grams esi grips at 59 grams 4x thomson steam at 160ish I think, ec90 seatpost at 170 grams sette italia carbonio saddle at 140 grams, xtr cassette x9 deraillour short cage xtr cranks not pictured, stans arches with hope hubs not pictured that are just above 1700 grams. Its a light weight 29er that I ride everywere and its pretty light.

You are on an Ibis forum, hello. Do you really think you are going to convert anyone. We all know it is a special bike. Old technology.
    milesW

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I was just bringing up the parts that lighten up my bike I dont want to convert anyone. I am sure the guys i ride with me that have mojos don't think my bike is old tech.

meh
    nah, you came in here trying to talk noise (go look at your posts)...your bike isnt in the same category to really compare it to the mojo though

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Your right mine is in a different league your right. My wheels are 700cc and my bike is al but I like it and that is what counts.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast