Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007

May will be best to ask for your mojoīs setup and weight?

Please can you tell real set up and real weight, I want to be sure that everything macthes...thanks.
    In my post (just before) I have a 25,8 lbs or 25,720 Kg (without pedals). I havew place a lot of efftort but.....I am a bit dissapointed please help.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    My current Mojo is a standard medium naked carbon.

The bike's weight with pedals was 22.8 lbs (on an Ultimate scale at the bike shop) and the parts breakdown was as follows:

- SRAM X0 gripshift and rear derailleur
    - SRAM X7 front derailleur
    - Magura Marta SL brakes with Stan's rotors
    - Easton 31.8 EC90 flat bar
    - Thompson X4 100mm stem
    - Cane Creek IS2 headset
    - Nokon cables
    - Mavic Crossmasx SLR wheels
    - Fox RLC fork
    - Conti Speed King Supersonic 2.1 front
    - Conti Twister Supersonic 1.9 rear
    - Thompson Masterpiece seatpost
    - San Marco ERA saddle
    - Race Face Deus XC crank and bb
    - Speedplay Ti Frog pedals

My LBS is currently stripping the bike to build up an SL frame. The completed bike should be ready this afternoon. Although I didn't weigh the original frame prior to building it up, the SL frame on the same scale is 4.93 lbs. Once it's done, i'll post how much it comes out to.

Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Thatīs 3 lbs diference!

That is even more crazy.....is that difference in components??? from my set up???? Or I do have somethng bad in the frame?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    The biggest weight savings I got was in the wheelset. Depending on the weight of your tires, that could add to up a significant part of the weight savings. The Contis' are very light tires but as a result, the casing is a bit on the thin side. They won't last as long as some other tires that's for sure and I've already torn one tire and might consider something a bit more durable but slightly heavier.

Most of my component picks are all lighter than the stock ones, some more than others and it all adds up.

Founder: Dirty3hirties
    Quote Originally Posted by Oriol
    That is even more crazy.....is that difference in components??? from my set up???? Or I do have somethng bad in the frame?
    Are you unhappy the way the bike rides? Do you get too tired compared to your old bike? Are you trying to race? If so, did you lose a race by a few min? Or are you just unhappy because you thought the bike would be below 25 lbs....24lbs....whatever....that's pretty much arbitrary.

From your post, it just seems like you want the bike below a certain weight. Do you feel that the performance is hindered because it weighs that much? Weight isn't necessarily a disadvantage. Bikes weigh a certain amount because they are designed to accomplish certain needs or perform a certain way. If you wanted to race, there are other alternatives that would be better. A good analogy to use: Don't get a race car and expect to go off roading with it. I see too many threads where people are totally happy with their bike until they weigh it. OR, they don't even ride it, build it up....find out it's 1.5 lbs heavier than expected, then get all PO'd w/o even riding it! Give me the bike then....I'll gladly take it

There's nothing "bad" with your frame.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Well said.
    Does the bike feel heavy to ride??

I'm still waiting for my Mojo frame, so I'm still on my Orange 5. It weighs 26.5 pounds But feels light for a 5 inch travel bike. I built up some Stans Olympic rims on some Chris Kings with DT Revolution Spokes. Run it tubeless with Stan's Milk. Boy do those wheels give the bike unbelievable acceleration. Definitely get some lighter wheels, it makes a huge difference to the feel of your ride. Don't get all upset about numbers
    My mates comment on how quick I accelerate on Singletrack.... I'd like to say it's the rider, but I have to give the credit to the wheels

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Check the Scale

Some scales are way off leading to disgruntled weight watchers. Check on a couple of other scales before you do anything rash...

I agree, tires are important in keeping the weight down. The best bang for the buck too...

H
    Hans
    Ibis Cycles, Inc.

flow where ever you go
    Quote Originally Posted by BloorwestSiR

Most of my component picks are all lighter than the stock ones, some more than others and it all adds up.
    It's true, "It all adds up". Most every part can be replaced with something lighter, but the cost per gram saved is often HUGE, so "it all adds up" in cost as well as weight saved.

Personally, I don't think it all adds up in performance. I don't think I can feel the difference in how my Mojo rides when it's between a 25lb. and a 26lb. build as long as the tires are the same and all the parts are quality parts. Still, that didn't stop me from changing out the steel bolts to titanium and a few to aluminum.

If you really want it lighter, I would suggest looking closely where you can save the most weight and start there (usually wheels/tires as other's are recommending). Beyond that, you almost have to weigh each part individually and then compare to the "real" weights of what else is available. Then, if money is no object, it won't hurt to swap out every part until you are satisfied it is as low as it will go.

"I must not be crazy because I'm seriously questioning my sanity"

flow where ever you go
    Quote Originally Posted by hanssc
    Some scales are way off leading to disgruntled weight watchers. Check on a couple of other scales before you do anything rash...

H
    I know my bathroom scale always exaggerates weight around the Holidays!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Weight

Ok, I want my bike to be reliable, I am about 180lbs, and I like to do some long rides (days ) but I like also my bike to be as light as possible,money well not a problem but I donīt want to spend it for nothing. I just bought that set of new tires build here in Spain,
    Hubs Dt swis 240S centerlock, spokes aerolite and rims dt swis xr 4.2, 28 front 32 back....I really belive that those are real nice whells , they should be arround 1430 gr the set , so they are pretty light, I have to add the sealant and the tubeless kit, but, hub much can that be?.....Other componets
    07XTR Cranks, casette 07 xtr, derreilleur front xt back sram x.9 waiting for the x.o, Fork Fox RLC and RP23 on back...all the other stuff is the Ibis set up..equal to the xtr....so I donīunderstand that there is more tan one lb difference about 600 gr. But I will keep working on it.
    Questions:
    1 How much can wait a tubeless kit and sealant?, when the liquid drys.....it evaporates or the weight stays.....
    2- Can the chain be very diferent.
    3-Are the brake "clamps very diferent in weight? xt-xtr.or Martaīs.
    letīs see what can I do.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

NO, No my bike is just GREAT !!!!

Well ddraewwg, I just love my bike, and as I said I just wanted to be reliable also,but if Iam expecting to get less weight isvery nice.....very nice. Specially If I spend mucho money in wheels etc....But I have to say I feel the bike to be very light, efective and...fun a lot of fun Is the bike that I was looking for , it climbs, is confortable and goes down.....But again I have to say that If I can save a few grams will be nice. So when I read other people or Ibs claims it makes me a bit worried....I know tha frame theory, is can of stupid.....just as my cousin says.......is the muscle...what it really counts.....(what about that 23.5 lbs bike???)

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    NO, No my bike is just GREAT !!!!
    Well ddraewwg, I just love my bike, and as I said I just wanted to be reliable also,but if Iam expecting to get less weight isvery nice.....very nice. Specially If I spend mucho money in wheels etc....But I have to say I feel the bike to be very light, efective and...fun a lot of fun Is the bike that I was looking for , it climbs, is confortable and goes down.....But again I have to say that If I can save a few grams will be nice. So when I read other people or Ibs claims it makes me a bit worried....I know tha frame theory, is kind of stupid.....just as my cousin says.......is the muscle...what it really counts.....(what about that 23.5 lbs bike???). Every time that I go out riding a smile appears on my face...that will be in about 8 hrs........

MountainGoat aka OldGoat
    Quote Originally Posted by noshortcuts
    I know my bathroom scale always exaggerates weight around the Holidays!
    LMAO mine too
    Vote with your feet.
    No bike is perfect!

flow where ever you go
    Oriol, It seems people assumed you still had the XT wheels. You aren't going to get much lighter than the 1450 gram DT wheels that you have. Maybe your scale is off.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Yes tyres are an "easy way to save weight", but Is one place that you can feel your bike very different so......be careful....they are like your shoes!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I hope so since it does not make much sense to me....Thanks

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    stans 355 rims, smart sam 2.1 tyres(530 grams) stans liquid, fox float R, devo seat,
    king hubs, old school ti bb, action tec chain rings, middleburn crank, xt med cage rear
    derailer, xtr rear cassette 11-34, answer carbon risers 25.4 diameter, syntace 90mm stem,
    hope mono mini 180 front,160 rear and medium orange mojo frame is at 24.2 pounds.
    Mitch
    Boise

Keep Riding !!

My Mojo

My naked Mojo is 11.3 kg or 24.9 lbs

Standard XL Mojo Frame (no Ti bolts etc yet)
    Pace XCAM Carbon Forks
    Sram XO Long cage RD
    X-9 FD
    X-7 twist shifters
    Juicy Ultimate brakes 160/140
    Suzue carbon shell hubs (about the same as DT 240's)
    Stans ZTR Rims, DT Aerolight spokes
    Racing Ralph 2.25 Front
    Maxis Ignitor 2.1 Rear
    Stans Tubless kit
    Easton EC 90 Post
    Easton Monkey Light Bars - Oury Grips
    Easton MG60 Stem 100mm (Heavy @ 190gm)
    SDG Bel-Air Ti saddle
    Ritchey V4 Peddles

As you can see not hard to keep the weight down with fairly standard type of build

Further Upgrades:
    SDG Ti-Fly C saddle (-75gm)
    Ti Stem bolts (-??gm)
    Ibis R/shock Ti bolt kit (-??gm)
    Just Ride !

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Ok all those weigths look nice! So I donīt understand way I am so far off.....I will check everything and the balance!.....after mi next ride !!!!
    Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbmitch2
    stans 355 rims, smart sam 2.1 tyres(530 grams) stans liquid, fox float R, devo seat,
    king hubs, old school ti bb, action tec chain rings, middleburn crank, xt med cage rear
    derailer, xtr rear cassette 11-34, answer carbon risers 25.4 diameter, syntace 90mm stem,
    hope mono mini 180 front,160 rear and medium orange mojo frame is at 24.2 pounds.
    Mitch
    Boise

Hey Mitch, I'm gonna put Middleburn cranks on my Mojo when it arrives. Any idea on your bottom bracket axle length? Is it a 113mm? Are you running ISIS or square taper?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    i wrecked my xr4.2 rim on my second ride. I trashed my continental speed kings very quickly too. Now i'm trying out 2 combinations, my old crossmax xl with Conti Vertical Pro 2.3 UST, and another set of wheels Hope Pro2 with EX5.1 rims and Conti Mountain King 2.4
    Both these add wait but for heavy xc/ light enduro i'll pay the weight penalty.
    With the xr4.2/dt swiss 240s/speed king i had my bike around 11.2kg, with the others i'm at around 11.9kg
    Other than that large frame, Fox 32 Float, XTR groupset, oro puro 180/160, thomson bar, seatpost, easton xc bars, candy ti pedals.
    Hope this helps, a good strong build comes in under 12kg which i'm very pleased with, lightweight around 11.2kg. I've just added a Maverick Speedball R, hopefully it'll be reliable!! I guess it all depends what type of riding you're planning.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Smile

running old school square taper. length is 113mm, where are you getting the cranks from?
    Mitch

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I brought my Mojo in to the shop and weighed it again. It's actually 23.8 lbs so sorry about the error.

My new SL just got completed and it's 22.83 lbs on the same scale. The biggest reason I did the frame upgrade was I love the matte finish it has over the standard Mojo. Now only if it weren't winter and raining here in Toronto.

LJJ
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Ti Fly saddle

Don't get the Ti-Fly saddle !! Only Sados or Homos can take the pain. Trust me - I rode it ONCE, then bought an RL

LJJ

Further Upgrades:
    SDG Ti-Fly C saddle (-75gm)
    Ti Stem bolts (-??gm)
    Ibis R/shock Ti bolt kit (-??gm)[/QUOTE]

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    What tires were you using with the xr4.2 Dt 240s?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast