Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Mtb Guide

Mavs XX1 HD setup

Hi all

Just so other threads dont get blogged up on questions re XX1 on my rig, Ive posted this to its own thread hope its helpful.

This build was put together by LBS, speccing sizzing re q factor etc, I do not know if its right or wrong, it works great has been totally reliable, not dropped a chain missed a shift.

2 months solid riding day after day. Summer here.

Ive made no modifications at the rear chainstay, seatstay junction, e.g filing etc, the chain is very close to the ss, cs bridge and Im still not sure how its not marked scratched gauged, can only think XX1 clutch, chain, cogs maintain such aligment and constant good tension theyres no bouncing into the chain stay seat stay bridge.

Speccs:
    Frame: Large
    Hub: DT 240 142x12
    Wheels: Enve
    Front 32t
    Rear, 10-42t
    Chain links: 54 links

Heres an under view of my frame bottom bracket area.

Q factor is q168, this is measured center of frame BB housing to cranks outer arm as per diagram below.

Chainline could be better in the 10t to front ring, but moving the crank into the frame, e.g removing the only spacer between the BB and frame would only worsen the line, moving it out would probably compromise the larger gears up the cluster, the weird thing is this is supposed to be exactly the same as 10speed in spacing at the rear, having not run an HD before, I dont know what the HD chain line high and low was like on a 10spd setup.

Everything is a compromise though and overall Im loving the XX1, its been awesome for me and as close to perfection I can get, its simple it works and really enjoying my riding another benefit is my fitness has gone up exponentially, not sure exactly why, same amount of riding I usually do this time of year but maybe its due to the overall efficiencies gained and better recovery during rides, my legs certainly don't get tired they way they used too on my older single ring setups when I ran 9spd and 10spd setups, the spread at the rear just seems to work well for me.
    Maybe the Mojo/HD combined also is a factor.

The other big noticeable difference for me is even less gear changes than usual, so Im probably pretty dialled gearing wise for my home trails.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I'm not trying to question your set up, but on the GXP isn't it supposed to be one 2.5 spacer on each side of the BB for the 68mm BB width (HD width). I see you have two 2.5 spacers on the NDS. This would create the chainline problem that you mention could be better between the 10t and chainring. I know on GXP BB the NDS cup actually creates the chain line because the crank bolts up to that cup/bearing. By adding that spacer to the NDS you are pulling the crank and chainring in closer to the BB centerline causing the problem with the 10t cog.

It is very different from Shimano and other setups. I know Shimano would use two 2.5 spacers on the DS with a 68mm BB. Like I said not questioning your set up, but it looks like it could be the problem. I'm sure you may have done this for other reasons.

Also in your opinion would the 156Q factor crank work? Hans said it would but it is a close fit.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Thanx a bunch!!!

Mtb Guide
    Quote Originally Posted by marcoton21 View Post
    Thanx a bunch!!!
    No probs.

Mtb Guide
    Quote Originally Posted by bpd131 View Post
    I'm not trying to question your set up, but on the GXP isn't it supposed to be one 2.5 spacer on each side of the BB for the 68mm BB width (HD width). I see you have two 2.5 spacers on the NDS. This would create the chainline problem that you mention could be better between the 10t and chainring. I know on GXP BB the NDS cup actually creates the chain line because the crank bolts up to that cup/bearing. By adding that spacer to the NDS you are pulling the crank and chainring in closer to the BB center line causing the problem with the 10t cog.

It is very different from Shimano and other setups. I know Shimano would use two 2.5 spacers on the DS with a 68mm BB. Like I said not questioning your set up, but it looks like it could be the problem. I'm sure you may have done this for other reasons.

Also in your opinion would the 156Q factor crank work? Hans said it would but it is a close fit.
    I didn't actually set it up, my LBS / plus the guys have setup lots of HDs in the past with Sram cranks and Shimano, so I trust them pretty good at what they do, plus they had installed nearly 20 sets of XX1 on other bikes before my frame arrived so I wasn't the crash test dummy this time haha.

I know what you are saying though and I did wonder myself re the 68mm BB, its clear they show one spacer either side pic below.

Sram is not much different to Shimano other than how the cranks actually nip up which is still from the NDS, Shimano just uses the two pinch bolts instead of a center bolt, I cant see how it would alter the chain line on the drive side, it still has one 2.5 spacer on that side which is correct, take that out and it would screw up the alignment completely.

This is setup by top guys so I'm sure they wouldn't have add 2 on the non drive side for no reason, still I'm open minded, bearing in mind I have had no issues or have none, I've purely posted this for others as I've had quite a few requests, PMs etc so thought it might be helpful.

Last edited by Maverick005; 01-29-2013 at 07:36 PM.

Mtb Guide
    Re the 156Q, I wouldn't do it without measuring it first in hand, buying the cranks blind and hoping could be costly, they're is room but it might not leave any room for adjustment if its close.

The other thing I'd say with 156Q is for me I would hit the upper seat stays close to the seat tube /shock region, I did this a bit when I first got my HD, not now that 'm used to it but still close enough I don't think I would want a closer Q factor.

I'm more DH style bike rider as well so knees out not in, I move around allot on my cleats for weighting up weighting so would not suit me, climbing is a necessary evil, pedal efficiency is high but still last on my list of needs.

Drive Side arm clearance

Non Drive Side

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Thanks a lot!! very helpful.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverick005 View Post
    I didn't actually set it up, my LBS / plus the guys have setup lots of HDs in the past with Sram cranks and Shimano, so I trust them pretty good at what they do, plus they had installed nearly 20 sets of XX1 on other bikes before my frame arrived so I wasn't the crash test dummy this time haha.

I know what you are saying though and I did wonder myself re the 68mm BB, its clear they show one spacer either side pic below.

Sram is not much different to Shimano other than how the cranks actually nip up which is still from the NDS, Shimano just uses the two pinch bolts instead of a center bolt, I cant see how it would alter the chain line on the drive side, it still has one 2.5 spacer on that side which is correct, take that out and it would screw up the alignment completely.

This is setup by top guys so I'm sure they wouldn't have add 2 on the non drive side for no reason, still I'm open minded, bearing in mind I have had no issues or have none, I've purely posted this for others as I've had quite a few requests, PMs etc so thought it might be helpful.

Yeah he might have intentionally set it up this way. I also shift the chain line a little inward to the larger cogs because that is where I spend more of my ride time. That is why I did not want to come across as critical of your build. That said though there are still too many spacers in there and it might cause bearing issues, may be worth asking him. I am currently building my Vitmin P with XX1. Glad to hear you don't have any clearance issues with the freehub and chain. Beautiful bike, good luck.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    The confusion may be from the Shimano BB51 having three 2.5mm spacers for a 68mm Bottom B. There are two on the drive side and one on the crank side.

Are you running a shimano BB? Or is it the one that comes with the XX1? If it's the SRAM BB then it may not be a bad idea to pull the crank off and check how much spline is showing?

It could also be a "typo" on the SRAM instructions....like an Engineer never screws up a drawing.

Mtb Guide
    Quote Originally Posted by bpd131 View Post
    Yeah he might have intentionally set it up this way. I also shift the chain line a little inward to the larger cogs because that is where I spend more of my ride time. That is why I did not want to come across as critical of your build. That said though there are still too many spacers in there and it might cause bearing issues, may be worth asking him. I am currently building my Vitmin P with XX1. Glad to hear you don't have any clearance issues with the freehub and chain. Beautiful bike, good luck.
    Will check with them, still if they're was any extra resistance against the bearings sure Id feel that, this is one if not the most frictionless crank/BB systems Ive run, always had XTR level, XO, Raceface Turbines, Deus, Atlas etc, e13 DH. installed these myself many times so Im not new to this, normally I would do it myself.
    I dont think I will have any bb issues, I regularly work on my bike so will keep an eye on it, bit anal about regurlar maintenance haha,
    cheers

Ps whats up with new look mtbr, not sure about it.

Mtb Guide
    Canuk, I have had the crank off, but next time will check that, didn't notice anything last time. Cheers
    Just so ya know this thread is not about an issue with my XX1 my bike is running sweet, more to help even if mines wrong to help others haha, still I will look at that just in case.

Cheers

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Sweet ride!! Lov'n the XX1.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I'd love to see some pictures of the complete bike.

mtbr member
    I am running 156Q no problem. When I called Ibis they said it was the preferred setup but either would work. Have had zero problems so far.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I just rant into a problem with the 156Q setup. The non-drive side is way too close to the chainstays. I can easily flex them into contact.

mtbr member
    Do you have the 2.5 mm spacer on the BB non drive side? I will take a photo of my clearance and BB setup.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Yes, 1 2.5mm spacer on each side. I am using the CK BB so that may have something to do with it, but that seems unlikely.

mtbr member
    My recommendation would be to get the GXP or ceramic Sram BB. I have a Chris King and did not use it based on their requirement for a bunch of spacers.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Really close on the left. Maybe 2-3mm of space.

Mavs XX1 HD setup-xx1-left.jpgMavs XX1 HD setup-xx1-right.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by das recht View Post
    Really close on the left. Maybe 2-3mm of space.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	XX1 left.jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	206.8 KB 
ID:	769816Click image for larger version. 

Name:	XX1 right.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	190.0 KB 
ID:	769817
    How is the chain line? I am setting my HD up now with XX1, I like to set up the chainline slightly adjusted toward the larger cogs to allow for better chainline in the climbing gears. The way your crank is, it would be perfect to add 1 or 2 mm of spacer in the NDS BB cup to pull the crank more to the NDS and possibly give a better chainline. Because the way SRAM and GXP BB works all that is determined by the NDS BB and Spacer. Look at the OP posting and see the shop that set his up used two 2.5mm spacer on the NDS. You might be able to find a happy medium with 1 or 2mm extra. Looking at mine I see there is about 3-4mm of room before the DS contacts the DS BB cup. Good luck

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I was thinking about that. However, it is a bit of a band-aid. I may want to run a chainguide under certain circumstances and I wouldn't be able to do that if I moved a bb spacer from the DS to the NDS (or a fraction thereof).

I also won't be able to run booties on the cranks with the current setup. Calling CK to see what their thoughts are.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I was thinking about that. However, it is a bit of a band-aid. I may want to run a chainguide under certain circumstances and I wouldn't be able to do that if I moved a bb spacer from the DS to the NDS (or a fraction thereof).

I also won't be able to run booties on the cranks with the current setup. Calling CK to see what their thoughts are.
    No not as a band aid. There is no reason to remove or adjust the DS spacer. With the full 2.5mm DS spacer there is still that 3-4mm of gap to play with. Use it to adjust chainline and still be able to use a BB mounted chain guide. They way GXP works is spindle is bolted to the NDS BB bearing. The DS just floats, there is no side load in the GXP BB. This is why GXP BB always spin nicely. I am actually setting mine up with a Enduro ceramic BB. Chris King BB actually uses spindle spacers to take up that float (on the DS) and make it like a Shimano set up, but you can still adjust it the chainline the same way with BB spacers and in turn adjust the crank spacing. And then you would use less of the Chris King spindle spacers. It will take a little time but could work out perfectly for you.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    If I understand you correctly, use another non drive side 2.5mm spacer for the NDS BB cup and in turn remove some of the CK spindle spacers.

If so, that sounds like a pretty good idea. I will have to try that.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    If I understand you correctly, use another non drive side 2.5mm spacer for the NDS BB cup and in turn remove some of the CK spindle spacers.

If so, that sounds like a pretty good idea. I will have to try that.
    I think you understand the concept, however I can not give you exact thickness you have to work with. 2.5mm might work, but it also might be too much. Try it and check the chainline and your crank clearances to the chainstay. I actually have some .7mm and 1.2mm thickness BB spacers for just this type of tinkering. Good luck. Hope it works out.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    That makes sense. Thanks again.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast