Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 26 to 45 of 45
  1. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    30
    davidsos - How much difference did you find between your new sl-r and your old sl?

  2. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    31
    Quote Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
    Please tell me that this will be on the 2013 forks and not the 2012's. Fox completely redesigned the air spring in the new 36 Float and it is supposed to be worlds better. The 2012 Float was designed around not using full travel 98% of the time because of both the air spring charecteristics and three stage damping.
    I didn't realize that Fox changed the 2013 Fox 36 Float so much. I assumed that it was just back to essentially the same model as before (people have been saying that they still don't get full travel from this thing).

    I was going to post a comparison between the 2013 Fox 34 160mm, 2012 Lyrik Mission Control DH Fork (no change for 2013), 2012 Fox 36 RLC, and a 2010 Fox 26 RC2 (with thoughts that it would be very similar to the 2013 fork).

    Looks like I'm going to have to find a 2013 Fox 36 to ride. This may take some time....

  3. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    218
    Quote Originally Posted by lloydd71 View Post
    davidsos - How much difference did you find between your new sl-r and your old sl?
    I went from a SL to a SLR and I was not expecting much difference, but I am amazed every time i ride the bike. It just wants to rip your legs off. I am running a 150mm fork so the HA is at 68 degrees, if flies up and down hills. For my local terrain the bike is perfect, it is super stiff and I have far more confidence taking on the more challenging descents I used to struggled with on the SL, the bike has given me an extra boost of confidence.

  4. #29
    Unpredictable
    Reputation: Ridnparadise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,842
    Quote Originally Posted by Yody View Post
    Great thoughts. My comment was a bit of a generalization. In some instances like you mentioned plush can be better, but fir me, for overall trail riding a bike with a but more compression and less leverage keeps me going faster, doesnt sink into travel, and gives me something to pump off of. Id you tend to just hover off the seat and let the bike do the job plushbis going to feel better. If youre using your legs to push the bikeinto the terrain and off of obstacles then having a bike with a bit of platform helps.

    For example i recently got my monarch plus back from push and was running it on the low compression setting. While the bike felt smoother than usual i just didnt feel like i was picking up speed and the suspension felt a bit clunky from using the travel too easily. Switxhed it to the mid comp setting and the bike instantly felt right at home, a bit harsher but faster and more controlled.

    Do you think world cup guys bikes are super plush? I dont know the answer but i doubt they are.
    I'd guess a lot ride pretty firm and you read reviews in mags like UK Dirt that suggest speed and control are not always associated with a smooth ride. Sounds a lot like skiing - you can be relaxed and smooth or aggressive and caffeinated and rip anything, but on the race course, hard is probably the go.

  5. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    11

    Socorro!

    Got a question for you guys on this string. Trying to decide between the Pivot Mach 5.7C vs SJ Carbon Evo vs (and now, thanks to this thread) the Ibis HD! Here's my deal. I'm 5'10.5" 165lbs and currently in So Florida - not many mountains down here : (. But I want I bike I can rip on and not worry about coming undone on some off landings. I can't (& probably never will be able to) ride like Brian Lopes. But I'd like to know the bike could hold up to some medium sized jumps (few feet maybe?)

    Out of the three bikes I demo'd 1) Carbon Evo. Medium felt small and that kinda scared me going downhill. The large felt a big gangly but very surefooted going down. Both pedaled alright with pro-pedal on. 2) Mach 5.7C only tried in a parking lot but loved the balanced riding position & pedaling response.

    So here's my dilemma. I'm leaning towards the Pivot but I'm worried the rear triangle might not hold up if I want to take medium sized jumps and huck it around a bit. (Again I'm not Brian Lopes and not that heavy). The Ibis seems a bit sturdier but the 160mm travel might be more than I need. Plus...the Ibis in Large seems pretty small to me on the website's geometry chart. (Where are the reach & stack?). The SJ might be more close in the running if I weren't between sizes because I loved the way it felt ripping down hill.

    Thoughts?

    Appreciate it.

  6. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,298
    5.7C all way. Best bike I've ridden & it corners like its on rails. The HD is overkill for Florida & you will build up the 5.7C lighter. I would not be concerned about the reliability of the Pivot, well made & great CS.
    As far as the Specialized its a no brainer - I've been waiting 15 months for a part for a 2011 S-Works Epic & they still can't tell me when I'll recieve it. Ibis & Pivot would never let this happen to one of there customers that dropped over 10 G's on a bicycle.

  7. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    163
    Pivot Mach 5.7 c with eyes closed ....... you will not regret

  8. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Yody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,946
    I'm voting SL-R. Pivot is an nice bike but has way too much advertising splattered all over it like a road bike. Plus if you're riding relatively flat and mellow and/or jumps the pivots slacker head tube angle won't be as good. As a bonus the SL-R will be lighter

  9. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    31
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedroll View Post
    Got a question for you guys on this string. Trying to decide between the Pivot Mach 5.7C vs SJ Carbon Evo vs (and now, thanks to this thread) the Ibis HD! Here's my deal. I'm 5'10.5" 165lbs and currently in So Florida - not many mountains down here : (. But I want I bike I can rip on and not worry about coming undone on some off landings. I can't (& probably never will be able to) ride like Brian Lopes. But I'd like to know the bike could hold up to some medium sized jumps (few feet maybe?)

    Out of the three bikes I demo'd 1) Carbon Evo. Medium felt small and that kinda scared me going downhill. The large felt a big gangly but very surefooted going down. Both pedaled alright with pro-pedal on. 2) Mach 5.7C only tried in a parking lot but loved the balanced riding position & pedaling response.

    So here's my dilemma. I'm leaning towards the Pivot but I'm worried the rear triangle might not hold up if I want to take medium sized jumps and huck it around a bit. (Again I'm not Brian Lopes and not that heavy). The Ibis seems a bit sturdier but the 160mm travel might be more than I need. Plus...the Ibis in Large seems pretty small to me on the website's geometry chart. (Where are the reach & stack?). The SJ might be more close in the running if I weren't between sizes because I loved the way it felt ripping down hill.

    Thoughts?

    Appreciate it.

    So.....I'm the OP and just wanted to throw another curve at you. In my review, I stated that the Pivot 5.7c is likely the best trailbike I've ever ridden, but...

    I would go for the Mojo HD160. Think about it, if you wanted something with less travel, then you just convert it to an HD140. What if you want to run 650B? Easy on a Mojo HD (at 140mm travel or ~155mm travel). You want to run a 180mm/160mm fork? Go ahead. You can't do any of this on the 5.7c. As a bonus, the HD is even cheaper than the 5.7c.

    The 5.7c is a better bike than the Mojo SL, but not by much. Now, I've never ridden a Mojo HD140 but I can only guess it rides better than the SL (slacker, stronger, stiffer) which would put it awfully close to a 5.7c (if not better).

    You have so many options with the HD and it's cheaper. Only downside is that it is about one pound heavier (would you even notice?). Heck, you could spend the $300 difference between the two on a second shock and run it at 140mm in Florida and swap out to 160mm when you head out on vacation and bigger terrain.

  10. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    163
    Quote Originally Posted by meph2 View Post
    So.....I'm the OP and just wanted to throw another curve at you. In my review, I stated that the Pivot 5.7c is likely the best trailbike I've ever ridden,

    You have so many options with the HD and it's cheaper. Only downside is that it is about one pound heavier (would you even notice?). Heck, you could spend the $300 difference between the two on a second shock and run it at 140mm in Florida and swap out to 160mm when you head out on vacation and bigger terrain.

    PedroII

    Now the difference is only $ 99 , I own both bikes and I still think that for Florida the 5.7 c is a better choice

  11. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by meph2 View Post
    So.....I'm the OP and just wanted to throw another curve at you. In my review, I stated that the Pivot 5.7c is likely the best trailbike I've ever ridden, but...

    I would go for the Mojo HD160. Think about it, if you wanted something with less travel, then you just convert it to an HD140. What if you want to run 650B? Easy on a Mojo HD (at 140mm travel or ~155mm travel). You want to run a 180mm/160mm fork? Go ahead. You can't do any of this on the 5.7c. As a bonus, the HD is even cheaper than the 5.7c.
    If you run 650b on the HD, do you have to change the drop outs? Can you run 650b in the 160mm travel or just 140mm? I didnt know this about the HD, the Intense Carbine I knew could run both but now the HD can?! This is great news if it does not change the bike too much.

  12. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,298
    Quote Originally Posted by meph2 View Post
    So.....I'm the OP and just wanted to throw another curve at you. In my review, I stated that the Pivot 5.7c is likely the best trailbike I've ever ridden, but...

    I would go for the Mojo HD160. Think about it, if you wanted something with less travel, then you just convert it to an HD140. What if you want to run 650B? Easy on a Mojo HD (at 140mm travel or ~155mm travel). You want to run a 180mm/160mm fork? Go ahead. You can't do any of this on the 5.7c. As a bonus, the HD is even cheaper than the 5.7c.

    The 5.7c is a better bike than the Mojo SL, but not by much. Now, I've never ridden a Mojo HD140 but I can only guess it rides better than the SL (slacker, stronger, stiffer) which would put it awfully close to a 5.7c (if not better).

    You have so many options with the HD and it's cheaper. Only downside is that it is about one pound heavier (would you even notice?). Heck, you could spend the $300 difference between the two on a second shock and run it at 140mm in Florida and swap out to 160mm when you head out on vacation and bigger terrain.
    Understand what your saying about the HD geo & 650B, but with the Scott Spark being a very popular bike in Florida, would the best bike for him not be the new 2013 Scott Genius 700 650B, 67 HA,150mm rear travel and a claimed frame/shock weight of 5.0 lbs. This would be considerably lighter than an HD and even lighter then the 5.7C & SLR which weigh the same @ 5.3 - 5.4 lbs. frame/shock.The Genius would be down around the weight of a nude SL.
    Great job on the review, thanks for posting.

  13. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    31
    Quote Originally Posted by xc71 View Post
    Understand what your saying about the HD geo & 650B, but with the Scott Spark being a very popular bike in Florida, would the best bike for him not be the new 2013 Scott Genius 700 650B, 67 HA,150mm rear travel and a claimed frame/shock weight of 5.0 lbs. This would be considerably lighter than an HD and even lighter then the 5.7C & SLR which weigh the same @ 5.3 - 5.4 lbs. frame/shock.The Genius would be down around the weight of a nude SL.
    Great job on the review, thanks for posting.
    I don't agree that it would be significantly lighter (a little over a pound, about 1/25th of total bike weight heavier).

    I do agree that the bikes mentioned above are arguably better for Florida terrain, but the poster wasn't sure what he wanted. The Mojo HD is extremely versatile and keeps all doors open, with only a small weight penalty. The Scott/5.7c/SLR don't have any of these options.

    For the poster asking the original question, the Mojo HD can be run 650b in the 140mm setting with no mods and is officially approved by Ibis. It can be run with a small shim in the 160mm setting with a slight reduction in total travel to about 152mm of travel. This is well documented, especially by Derby. He has been running this setup for awhile now.

  14. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    11

    Thanks

    Thanks for all the input boys!

    Probably going with the Mojo HD - b/c of the versatility. But also considering, at the last minute, a trip to Outerbike at Moab in a few weeks. I'll let the trails there help make my decision.

    Happy trails.

  15. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedroll View Post
    Thanks for all the input boys!

    Probably going with the Mojo HD - b/c of the versatility. But also considering, at the last minute, a trip to Outerbike at Moab in a few weeks. I'll let the trails there help make my decision.

    Happy trails.
    Once you ride an HD in Moab you'll never want to ride anything else. The shop to rent one at is Uranium, ask for Marshal. He will also give you a screaming deal on a used one with only 30 to 40 days of riding on it for around 2500 if I remember correctly. Ibis Mojo HD Review - YouTube

  16. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    11
    Well I'll soon find out. Because I just got my ticket to Moab, UT for Outerbike.

  17. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    451
    Quote Originally Posted by humdinger View Post
    I currently ride the Marzocchi 55 RC3 Ti and after 15 years of riding cannot remember a better fork
    No truer statement has been posted on MTBR than this one.

  18. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Heretic Skeptic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    355
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedroll View Post
    Well I'll soon find out. Because I just got my ticket to Moab, UT for Outerbike.
    How did Outerbike go?

  19. #44
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    11
    Outerbike was great. Definitely worth the expense if you're in the market for a new rig and unsure what to get. Difficult to get some quality saddle time on every single model of interest. But if you go for the entire weekend you can certainly sample a huge number of bikes. Moab's trails range from the boring to death defying with everything in between. Great place to ride...but get yourself in shape before you go! Go for three days. Get there early each day (b/c lines build up). Bring your one favorite pedals and gear. That's my advice. I rode the new Turner Burner - gave some feedback directly to Mr. Turner himself. As for the bike...awesome! Can't say enough good things about the Burner or the 27.5 wheels. I just ordered one!

  20. #45
    fraid of heights
    Reputation: stiingya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,518
    Great review, comments. Wish the new Spec Enduro would have been compared with the others especially as they've gone a little more pedal friendly with it this year. Course would have gotten hit on frame only price, but on the other hand the frame comes with a CCDB and a blacklite post so it's still relatively in the ballpark. (but think how many frames they would sell if they ditched the post and threw a fox shock on there and sold a 2nd tier for 2500! course then they'd pry never sell any complete models, I digress.)

    Also would like to see the new RM Altitude thrown in. Likely it would have been too much of a "lateral" move like the 5.7. But would have been interesting to get that comparison.

    thanks for the reviews... definitely considering an HD this year.

    OH YEAH, OP post a pic of your new HD!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by the_owl
    Everytime you ride in mud, god kills a kitten.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •