Thread: M3 Vinyl?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

M3 Vinyl?

Hi,
    Just got my Mojo SL frame yesterday and I can't wait to build it out! I have followed this forum for about a year now while debating which new ride to buy. I have noticed in a lot of the Mojo pictures a clear vinyl is used to prevent cable rub and rock dings. I believe it is called M3 vinyl but I don't know if that is an industry term or just slang. My Mojo came with clear vinyl dots but most of the pictures I see have much bigger pieces. Any help on finding this stuff would be appreciated.
    Thanks!

Ride More Work Less
    Jun 2006
    This thread from last summer shows all the various tapes that people have used to protect the frame.

Protect your frame

mtbr member
    I just ordered 3m protective film from Pricepoint,it was under accessories as paint protection.Enough to do a couple bikes.
    milesW

Founder: Dirty3hirties
    You should call Ibis or search for threads about protecting the SL because the tapes people are using (leading edge tape, helicopter tape) which is basically a polyurethane tape, DOES NOT stick to the rubberized paint. Ibis was testing a new tape from 3M.

Bonk is the same stuff...won't stick to the rubber paint...er, actually, what Ibis said was that it doesn't work as well.

I haven't seen any threads from people who own the SL who have found a tape that works.

mtbr member
    ddraewwg,I wasn't really thinking about the matt finishes as I got a gloss Mojo SL.
    milesW

Founder: Dirty3hirties
    Quote Originally Posted by miles wadsworth
    ddraewwg,I wasn't really thinking about the matt finishes as I got a gloss Mojo SL.

Ok, then you have the SL build, not the SL frame? The OP says he has the SL frame which has the rubberized paint. And from what I have read on these forums (Hans posted something about the tape), the "normal " stuff doesn't work.

mtbr member
    No,I got a gloss clear Mojo SL,Ibis had a few on the shelves that were not for sale to the public.I got a little bit of a hookup.I will post some pics when I get it together.The frame and finish look sweet,4.lbs.
    milesW