mtbr member

Lyrik on and SL or SLR

Wondering if anyone is running a lyrik on their SL?

www.derbyrims.com
    I used a Lyrik u-turn coil on my Mojo C for a couple years before getting an HD. The Mojo C had the same geometry as the later SL and SL-R. It was usually set to 140mm travel to keep handling pretty quick, and sometimes a little lower for long climbs. But nice to raise to 150mm for unknown very rocky trail for more pedal clearance and rock step drop offs. And occasionally to 160mm travel for fast or steep downhill runs.

The 35mm stanchion Lyrik is stiffer than any 32mm stanchion fork and the stiffer front end helped the feel of traction and brought more handling confidence.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the feedback. I am on a 150 Rev right now and think I would like the added stiffness of the Lyrik. Thought I am concerned abou running it at 160 might affect the handling. I guess I could always drop it to 150.

www.derbyrims.com
    Quote Originally Posted by hani1 View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. I am on a 150 Rev right now and think I would like the added stiffness of the Lyrik. Thought I am concerned abou running it at 160 might affect the handling. I guess I could always drop it to 150.
    Going from a Rev 150 to Lyrik 160 with bigger and stiffer crown raises the head tube 20mm, and a near 1 degree slacker frame, also improving pedal clearance a little for the rough trails a Lyrik excels over.

Lowering your handle bars and bumping the seat forward can make the reach and fit balance the near the same as with the shorter fork for climbing .

Wider bars with shorter stem to maintain desired reach can balance the small increase in slow climbing wheel flop, and improve cornering feel, and standing pedal power leverage, and, and ...

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I'm currently playing with my Lyric set at 150mm on my HD with the back end also set at ~150mm. It made the fork noticeably more stiff in flex (almost feels like my Totem), but also more plush and only progressive at the very end of stroke (still working through the effects of going so short on damper/spring rate behavior). So far I kinda dig it as super tough trail bike. I love the lower BB. As you can tell Derby and I are at different ends of the spectrum.

The only thing I'd wonder about with your plan is that the SL sure feels flexy compared to the HD or even SLR (even the latest version of the SL) so I wonder if the super stiff front end will be awesome or totally overgun the rear end. That said, my old Reign X had a lot more flex than my HD and it felt good with the Lyric. BTW - the A2C on the Lyric is only 6mm taller than the Revelation I have when set at the same length, so the difference in length at 160mm would still only be 16mm and I'm only measuring that it slackens the bike by ~1/2deg.

In the end, I find all these changes are far less dramatic on handling after 2 minutes of riding than many people want to make them out to be. It's not like the bike will suddenly become a gift from above or a total piece of crap. It will just be slightly different and can usually be compensated for in terms of fit and feel, as Derby points out, with minor bar and stem adjustments.

BTW - When was your Revelation last rebuild, because that can often bring a bad fork back to life?