mtbr member

Lower Pivot Bolt Removal

Any ideas on how to get this off? Mine is just spinning due to the loctite applied at the factory and I cannot figure out a good way to hold the other side in place. Thoughts? TIA!

Dropshot Champ!
    is your crankset off?

take cranks off, should be easy to get to with an allen on both sides.

Thread Killer
    I can't remember the size, but I think you use a hex (allen) from both sides. The head on the drive side is external and the flats for the other is internal. I think a M6 hex key on both sides will allow you to loosen and remove it.
    Cholla cactus=nature's guard rail.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I had a real hard time removing mine as well (remove crankset for sure) as you need a super long hex key on one side to grab inside the threaded bolt - forgot what size, but slightly smaller than the thread diameter) ended up twisting the hex key (cheap long one I had) as my regular good ones where not long enough to reach inside.

mtbr member
    Ok, thanks guys. It did not look like it would accept an allen on the drive side, but I will look again. Must have missed it.

mtbr member
    I just took mine apart the other day. A longer allen wrench on the driveside is the ticket. Mine was seized in there and I ended up threading the non-driveside bolt back in a few turns and Tapping with a mallet until it broke loose. Unfortunately it was seized to the bearing and it popped the bearing out simultaneously.

I was able to remove the bearing from the bolt with a socket and a mallet, press the bearing back in with my homemade headset press and all was well. Anyway, grease the axle where it will contact the bearings so this doesn't happen to you.