Dropshot Champ!

New question here. Lower link / Bearings Question.

I'm in the market for a used demo frame, coming over from an ironhorse mk3 w/ dw-link. My intent was to swap over all my parts and have a nice mojo.

Problem is, the more I ask around, the more I'm unsure about a few things. Every single mojo owner I've talked too w/o lopes link said the flex is horrid. Makes your ibis feel like a wet noodle in Downieville.

This scares me, since this is the main reason I was looking to ditch the ironhorse, because of flex AT the lower link pivot.

Out comes Lopes link, and people I talk to are still complaining about some flex (nowhere near as much) and that the lower link bearings are a weak point [especially in wet and muddy conditions like a norcal winter...] How often are you guys replacing lower link bearings?

With absolutely the same problems as my ironhorse, I'm a little scared I'd be replicating the problem...but to the tune of 1500-2000 dollars for a frame. A CR rear tri is about the same as one on my bike, so that's not any cheaper either!

Please be honest, what flex are you seeing on these bikes? How many sets of lower link bearings have you gone through? How long have you owned the bike? Have you had to replace a lower link yet? Have you spent time on a 5spot and noticed less flex?

Really hesitant to buy a more expensive bike with exactly the same problems as my current bike.

Thanks!

-Adrian

mtbr member
    I recently did a test ride of a Mojo SL (with lopes link) and did my best to make it flex. I tried and tried, but couldn't find any difference in flexiness between the mojo and my motolite. I rode norcal trails (Annadel), so not as extreme as Downieville, but still...

I can't say about long term mud on links though.
    我的镀铬光泽的冰柱一样,我骑在镇附近在我的低骑手自行车

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Go ride one.

mtbr member
    With my experience the links are easily serviceable (compared to my old Blur). And I have had no creaking in the two years I have had it. I don't ride in much mud though. Flex? I don't feel it, but I am not the most aggro, but use all my travel. You need to demo one, other wise you are just listening to opinions.
    milesW

Dropshot Champ!
    I've been on one at annadel, it was a parking lot ride though, from which you can tell nothing. An ibis dealer is letting me grab one for a ride or two though, really cool of them to do.

For those of you telling me to ride one, you're missing the point. I know they feel great when new, I'm asking whether the flex develops over time. A demo'd bike is going to be great, no doubt about it. I'm curious about in a year or two.

My dwlink bike felt solid when new or on new bearings, but as soon as that lower link gets dirty/trashed, the bearings fail FAST!

Any experience with that?

I don't mind a little bit of rear end flex, but when it's felt through the lower link, it's pretty bothersome...at least to me.

For the guy that has been riding for 2yrs, how often do you ride it? 1000mi/yr? More/less?

Thanks for the replies so far tho!

mtbr member
    I.ve had mine for about a year w/lopes I'm about 210 and ride in sfl (almost always mud) no issue w/ lower link and no change in flex.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    The bike will not develop more flex over time,I've got 2 years on mine with no issues riding in alot of water & mud in the Canadian Rockies.The best thing to do is when the bike is new pop off the bearing seals, pack them with grease -very easy to do,then do the same thing at the end of the year - you will have no issues.

meh
    200 riding weight, had for two years, never had any bearing problems (dry riding conditions mostly) and no noticeable flex (still havent upgraded to a lopes link)
    flex is blown way out of proportion imo (not saying it isn't there, but seems grossly exaggerated)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by seadawg
    I.ve had mine for about a year w/lopes I'm about 210 and ride in sfl (almost always mud) no issue w/ lower link and no change in flex.
    south florida?

flow where ever you go
    I have lopes link, bolt on rear wheel and bolt thru front wheel and have been riding since the first bikes came out. I weigh 160lbs.

The linkage is easy to service and never causes any problems of any kind. I have replaced the lower and a couple of bearings in the uppers, but only after taking the bike apart and finding the bearings get notchy (but that is notchy by fingertip feel, the bike's travel stayed the same and no noise or play at all).

Flex: there are people who swear it's there and a few who say it's too much. More say it's not flexy. I don't feel flex. I ride hard on technical trails, but that's relative. I don't have bermed corners I'm railing all day or jumps larger than 3' most days. Many people ride harder and on more demanding trails. But even among them, there are those who say there's flex and those who say there isn't.

- I'd say don't bother worrying about the links, and
    get to a demo day to ride and see how it feels to you.

"I must not be crazy because I'm seriously questioning my sanity"

mtbr member
    Flex: I've had mine for almost 3 years, upgraded to the Lopes link (and changed out lower link at same time) when LL came out. The LL firms it up, and I don't feel any flex at all. And in real world riding, wheels will generally flex before the frame IMO. Doubt you will notice any flex unless you're heavy and/or seriously hucking.

Lower Link/Bearings: The first time I replaced mine (after 1.5 years of 8 hours/week of 3/4 dry, 1/4 wet riding), bearings were still in OK (not perfect) condition. Then this week I just pulled my frame apart, and was surprised the 1 year old lower bearings were pretty shot, because I didn't noticed any issues w/ rear travel or creaks at all. (So little of the bearings' range is used in the travel, I guess you'd barely notice unless bearing fully seizes.) So you could probably change them out once a year max if you're finicky, but I think you can easily wait 2+ years without even noticing unless you do year-round mud riding.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by darty
    south florida?
    yes

aka dan51
    Bearing wear is similar to what I had on my Stumpy and Enduro. I swap them out once a year, usually after winter/muddy riding is done. They get notchy, but that's what all bearings would do when subject to dirt, mud, and water.

Here's a post I made from when I first got the LL. It's got a before and after video. The place to watch is the area between the rear triangle and the seatpost. You can see how the flex changed when going to the LL.

Lopes Link is HERE!!!
    Those who know, ride a Mojo AND a Mojo HD.
    Quadzilla
    Quote Originally Posted by benja55
    Ok, whatever, cold water on my bike boner right there.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by dan51
    Bearing wear is similar to what I had on my Stumpy and Enduro. I swap them out once a year, usually after winter/muddy riding is done. They get notchy, but that's what all bearings would do when subject to dirt, mud, and water.

Here's a post I made from when I first got the LL. It's got a before and after video. The place to watch is the area between the rear triangle and the seatpost. You can see how the flex changed when going to the LL.

Lopes Link is HERE!!!
    dan51, great videos, the LL makes a big difference. I am waiting for a demo Mojo for me to ride and determine for myself on my local trails how it fairs.

Dropshot Champ!
    yeah once i get a few term papers done and get caught up on school, im definitely gunna grab a mojo for a day......or a few days. Put it through it's paces on my local trails back to back with other bikes.

1500 for a used frame is what I'm looking at. 09 demo frame (silver paint). Factory warranty.

It's hard not to look at the blur lt/lt2/lt-c, and the tranceX tho. Giant pays for LABOR too! And both have better warranties than I could ever imagine.