Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

lower headset knock on mojo hd?

I cam hear/feel my lower headset bearing knocking when rocking the bike back n forth. What else is weird is i cam tighten my headset bolt super tight and it does not make the steering tighter/bind. Everything seems good, the fork race is seated nicely. Cups seem to be tight. Enough space between bottom.of.top.cap and top of steer tube. Any ideas?

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    What headset?

Dumb question, but you did fully loosen the stem clamp bolts before trying to tighten the top cap bolt, correct? Gotta ask

aka dan51
    Insert in head tube coming unglued?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    ...People thought they were getting a good fork because it was a "fox".

mtbr member
    Cane creek XX. yeah, stem bolts loosened first.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    The bearings must be busted.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Yody View Post
    I cam hear/feel my lower headset bearing knocking when rocking the bike back n forth. What else is weird is i cam tighten my headset bolt super tight and it does not make the steering tighter/bind. Everything seems good, the fork race is seated nicely. Cups seem to be tight. Enough space between bottom.of.top.cap and top of steer tube. Any ideas?
    If you tightened the top cap and the steering did not tighten, that sounds like the top cap is bottomed on the steerer. Though you say there is enough space. Maybe add another spacer on top of the stem as a double check on that space.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I am in the process of replacing the Cane Creek XX headset on my friend's bike and it is making the same knocking sound. But if I tighten it down, it does bind so only half of the similarities as you.

When I pulled the headset apart, the bearings still sit nicely in the cups but the inner race is loose and can be moved both horziontally and vertically by the steerertube.

I say try the add'l spacer height again to see if still doesn't bind when tightening.

www.derbyrims.com
    I read somewhere and saw pictures, that some tapered steer tubes don't taper enough for some head tubes and bind on the upper bearing, preventing full tightening. The lower bearing would be loose in this case.

Remove the fork and look for markings where the upper bearing would etch a ring around the steer tube.

Good luck!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by derby View Post
    I read somewhere and saw pictures, that some tapered steer tubes don't taper enough for some head tubes and bind on the upper bearing, preventing full tightening. The lower bearing would be loose in this case.

Remove the fork and look for markings where the upper bearing would etch a ring around the steer tube.

Good luck!
    Wow that would be ridic, I'll take a look

mtbr member
    Wow that would be ridic, I'll take a look
    i have a chris king tapered headset and i experience the same problem- would like to see if the cause is the tapered thing or the headset itself. i have added spacers and it stays tight for a ride a or too then knocks again...

mtbr member
    May 2011
    You could switch to an external headset up top to give yourself a bit more room in there. Kind of sucks though.

mtbr member
    Tried adding a spacer and it changed nothing, tried using a different split ring with no change. No matter what my steering won't bind up no matter how hard I tighten the top bolt. Didn't see any rings on the fork steer from being too short, and as far as I can tell everything looks okay when inspecting. I'm no headset expert but this one is strange. I'll call Cane Creek in the morning

mtbr member
    If the taper of the steering tube were too long, would it even leave a mark on the steerer necessarily? Seems like the part of the headset that would contact the taper would be turning with the steerer, so might not score it. I may be visualizing this all wrong, but if I were you, Yody, I wouldn't be writing that possibility off yet.

....or maybe it has something to do with the hole you drilled in your frame for your dropper post

mtbr member
    ....or maybe it has something to do with the hole you drilled in your frame for your dropper post
    Are you serious

mtbr member
    Naw.... just f'n with you.
    Seriously, hope you figure it out.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Where are you positioning the split in the crown race? If it's at the front or back it can open when rocking causing it to feel loose. Try putting it to the side.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by doismellbacon View Post
    Naw.... just f'n with you.
    Seriously, hope you figure it out.

talked to Cane Creek today, and they can't seem to come up with a solution..... Wondering if I should just buy a new headset, kinda sucks, considering this one is only 1.5 years old.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Do you have access to another fork to try? I too remember reading about mis-tapered forks somewhere on MTBR. I think it may have been Marzocchi????

www.derbyrims.com
    Quote Originally Posted by wheatgerm View Post
    Do you have access to another fork to try? I too remember reading about mis-tapered forks somewhere on MTBR. I think it may have been Marzocchi????
    After second thought, if it was the tall taper problem, it would also be loose between the upper bearing to upper race while pressing down on the top-tube seating the lower, I'd think, a bit like tightening the stem before both bearings were seated down snug by tightening the top cap first.

Maybe run it by a LBS for another pair of eyes?

A lower end head set can wear out quickly if a little over tightened. Seems like a high end head set can endure about as much as an L-shaped hex wrench can tighten by hand, up to a feel of binding.

Dropshot Champ!
    Are you serious
    at least he didn't say you run cement truck tire pressure and thats the cause

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Another thing to look is the star nut, it could be flexing or moving or worst of all the threaded section maybe rotating when tightened. Trying another set of forks with a different star nut could help you find out.

#AINTNOBODYGOTTIMEFERDAT
    Interesting point on the tapering on the fork being too tall. I've never even thought of that happening. Did this problem happen over time, or has it always knocked like this? Putting on a new fork and just discovering the problem? I'd measure from the bearing race when it is on the fork to the end of the taper and that measurement should be less than the distance of cup to cup on the frame. The upper bearing could be compressing down on top of the last couple mm of the taper. That could keep the whole assembly from tightening down.
    YouTube | #1 Rule for California mtb: If you're having fun, it's illegal.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeBMX View Post
    Interesting point on the tapering on the fork being too tall. I've never even thought of that happening. Did this problem happen over time, or has it always knocked like this? Putting on a new fork and just discovering the problem? I'd measure from the bearing race when it is on the fork to the end of the taper and that measurement should be less than the distance of cup to cup on the frame. The upper bearing could be compressing down on top of the last couple mm of the taper. That could keep the whole assembly from tightening down.
    I'm pretty sure if he didn't ride like such a hack his problem would be solved

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtb-ripper View Post
    I'm pretty sure if he didn't ride like such a hack his problem would be solved
    Youre riding xc bikes with 32 forks these days, no.room to talk lol

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    check your top bolt. I stripped mine and it would display the same symptoms as you are having. I was trying to chase down a lower knock like you and kept tightneing and could never get it tight because I stripped the bolt in the process. And my knock ended up being bushing play in the forks so check that also.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast