Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

LOUD creaking from upper main pivot of Ripley

I have an issue that required replacing the clevis of my Ripley. In doing this I obviously removed the rear wheel and clevis, and noticed that cycling the suspension in this state (totally unloaded) produced LOUD creaking/popping. I found that loosening the upper main pivot axle just 1/4 turn completely eliminated this, but re-tightening (to torque spec) brought it back, even after extensive lube applied to axle head, threads etc.

The overall loudness of this seems to be related to cycling the suspension when it's unloaded and unattached to the shock, as reassembling everything reduces the nose to a couple pops as the suspension cycles. The suspension feels smooth, i.e. bearings are OK. Anyone have an idea what would cause this? Would taking the whole suspension off and torquing/lubing everything fix it? The bike is only 3 months old so shouldn't yet need an overhaul...

mtbr member
    @DrewBird, how did you isolate the problem to the upper vs. the lower pivot? Just curious because I've had (and still have) the same problem. What I did initially was to completely disassemble and clean+lube the eccentrics (upper and lower). That solved the problem for about 2-3 rides before it started creaking again (I've now repeated the procedure several times). Just last night I was about to go through the effort again but kept asking myself WHY it was doing this. I checked torque on each bolt and they were perfectly to spec, so I loosened the upper eccentric almost all the way just to verify that the click still occurred (as I was led to believe that the lower eccentric was likely at fault since it carried more load). Oddly enough the click went away! I re-tightened the upper to 3Nm - no click. 4Nm - no click, and so on until I was back to the 7Nm spec. No click. What!? Why? I'm still unclear as to why this is happening and what the root cause is or why disassembling and reassembling (or in this case just loosening then retightening the shaft bold) temporarily fix the problem. If (when) it starts up again I'll try and remedy again without having to disassemble the whole thing (which is a pain), as I can deal with an occasional bolt clean+tighten, vs. the long process involved in complete eccentric disassembly. Just FYI - I'm 155 lbs and don't do jumps, although my trails are one continuous rock garden (so lots of suspension cycling).

mtbr member
    I isolated it basically the same way you did. With the clevis removed I cycled the rear suspension, and hear a lot of creaking. The I loosened the upper main axle bolt and repeated, and the creaking went away.

What seems to have fixed it (for now) was removing the left-side inner cover of the upper eccentric (so the thing that bolts into the seat tube, lubing it as well as the M8 fixing bolt that holds it in place, then reassembling everything. Nice and quiet, at least for the moment. We'll see how long it lasts; given your post I'm worried this might turn out to be a temporary fix.

mtbr member
    I assume you are talking about the eccentric core, and that you were referring to removing the eccentric core cap, lubing it, then bolting it back on to the eccentric core. If so, were you able to do this procedure without having to remove the entire rear triangle? Just curious.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Try Ibis customer service if you have concerns, Jeff and Todd are really helpfull.

Are you sure its your eccentric pivots? I have been riding my Ripley for 8months and I am 230lbs. I have had no creaking from the pivots, although I thought it was the pivots.

The biggest mystery was the creek when I cycled my suspension. sounded like the main pivot, it was actually my X01 derailuer pivots.

The other big creak one was the clevis (rear shock mount) and front pin. Greese those.

Also check the following as I have had these randomly

Chainring bolts
    Seatpost
    seat rails
    Stem bar interface
    pedals
    rear axle

mtbr member
    Thanks motoguru. I have been in touch with Ibis and they are assisting me with this issue in a manner befitting their excellent customer service reputation. In my particular case (which is quite rare, so keep that in mind folks) it was none of these other components (they were all detached when cycling the suspension) and is likely the swingarm to triangle interface; however for others who might read this post, the culprit in 99% of cases will be one of those things you mentioned, probably in order of rear axle being loose, sram derailleur clutch issues (search the web), seatpost/saddle, and then the others (assuming clevis bolt is the correct one).

mtbr member
    I'm in the same boat as Thorin, I was cycling the suspension with the clevis and drivetrain removed and getting the creak. Loosening the upper eccentric pivot bolt a bit eliminated the creak. Removing and lubing the upper eccentric left-side core cap and fixing bold eliminated it. So definitely the pivots.

Amazingly, without my so much as contacting them, Todd from Ibis saw this post and IM'd me with a solution. Maybe Thorin tipped him off? But either way that's some above-and-beyond service!

Too Much Fun

Good job! Word up

Quote Originally Posted by DrewBird View Post
    Amazingly, without my so much as contacting them, Todd from Ibis saw this post and IM'd me with a solution. Maybe Thorin tipped him off? But either way that's some above-and-beyond service!
    There's good customer service and then there's Ibis.

Whole other level.
    - -benja- -

mtbr member
    That teflon tape trick in the video from The bike Company looks to be well though through and tested. Looks like tubeless tape to me... what's the difference?

mtbr member
    Indeed. Interesting video (Yoke Isolator). I wonder what Ibis' take is on it. Meaning if they think it's a good idea or not worth the bother. FWIW, my yoke hasn't had any problems; but as the saying goes, an once of prevention...

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by simenf View Post
    That teflon tape trick in the video from The bike Company looks to be well though through and tested. Looks like tubeless tape to me... what's the difference?
    Teflon tape is different than tubeless tape. It is what plumbers use to put on pipe threads. It is much thinner and more flexible. It is also not sticky. It is also referred to as thread seal tape. You should be able to get it at a hardware store or anywhere that sells plumbing supplies. It is pretty inexpensive (~$3 for a small roll).

mtbr member

LOUD creaking from upper main pivot of Ripley

I know the plumber thread type, but the one in the video is definately thicker and adhesive. Looks more like tubeless tape than thread tape.

simenf - brainwashed by the big wheel mafia.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by simenf View Post
    I know the plumber thread type, but the one in the video is definately thicker and adhesive. Looks more like tubeless tape than thread tape.

simenf - brainwashed by the big wheel mafia.
    My bad. I should've watched the video first. There appear to be teflon type tapes out there made by 3M and the like. It's pretty pricey stuff and most the roll sizes are way more than you would need. You can get it on Amazon and probably eBay and whatnot.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I've just started to get a creak and I'm trying to track it down. It might be worth doing the teflon tape fix. But what, exactly, should I buy? Is it this CS Hyde Conformable PTFE Tape With Silicone Adhesive, Brown 1/2 inch X 36 yards: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientificor this PTFE Teflon Adhesive Tape Nonstick 0 13mmx15mmx16 5M 5mil x 0 590inch x 9 Yd | eBay ? It's way more than I'd likely need, but might be worth trying.

mtbr member

Re: LOUD creaking from upper main pivot of Ripley

You can buy thick pink Teflon tape from a local store for cheap.

sent remotely

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I emailed Bikeco and asked what the brand/type of tape was that they used in that video for the Ripley Yoke Isolator. It is Stans Tubeless tape was their answer

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mcam View Post
    I emailed Bikeco and asked what the brand/type of tape was that they used in that video for the Ripley Yoke Isolator. It is Stans Tubeless tape was their answer
    That's interesting! He called it teflon tape, but I guess it's not, or at least it's not what they used in the video. Did you try it out yet?

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by agoura_biker View Post
    That's interesting! He called it teflon tape, but I guess it's not, or at least it's not what they used in the video. Did you try it out yet?
    I haven't tried it out yet. I've ordered a Gnarcore and cable dice, so when those arrive (probably in the next week or so), I'll do the isolator at the same time.

mtbr member
    I have had really bad creaking on my Ripley for about a two weeks, I could figure out where it was coming from and finally got tired of it while on a 5 hour ride over the weekend. I decided to do something so I checked all the usual suspecst, chainring bolt, rear derailleur hanger and screws ect ect. Unable to find the squeek I did the teflon tape trick mentioned in the above posts over the weekend. I covered the rear chock mount with the material and squeezed it into the clevis- squeeking gone- for now.. Instead of using teflon tape I used some protective material that gets shipped with every specialized bike. Its the materiel that is on the bottom of downtube to guard against rocks. It feels like pretty durable stuff. It was pretty easy to do and took me about an hour to get it done right. So far the squeaks have stopped. Check out the pics.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails LOUD creaking from upper main pivot of Ripley-img_6257.jpg  

LOUD creaking from upper main pivot of Ripley-img_6259.jpg  

Last edited by rollinrob; 03-17-2014 at 09:10 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    My Ripley has developed a creak in the pivots as well. I noticed it tonight, and I can replicate the noise by holding the rear wheel at the top and pushing it from side to side (kind of "twisting" the rear triangle/swing arm). I'm not putting too much pressure on it, but it definitely makes the noise.
    I need to try that isolator "fix"

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Likewise on the isolator fix. Lubing is only a short term fix for me.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I'm going to try some lube to see if it fixes it short term, and if it does, it is the isolator for me I see you're a Kiwi, and a year younger than me. What part of the country are you in?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Tawa, Wellington. Yourself?

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Christchurch. The shakey city. Mind you, you guys have had a bit too

I'm back into mountain biking after being slack for a few years. I'm loving it

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast