mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Lopes GoPro HD Video @ Crankworx

Whole thing is impressive, but I damn near spit out my coffee when I saw what speed he hit the tree section (~3:50).

The guy is a machine...

GoPro HD: 2012 Crankworx Jeep Air DH with Brian Lopes - Pinkbike

Dirt Bike Craig
    He's an animal! Tiger blood!
    Check out my photography on RedBubble http://www.redbubble.com/people/fmxdbc

aka dan51
    Those who know, ride a Mojo AND a Mojo HD.
    Quadzilla
    Quote Originally Posted by benja55
    Ok, whatever, cold water on my bike boner right there.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Perhaps a crazy question, but it seems like he tweaks the bike out on every jump. Is there a reason for this? Habit/Style? Wouldn't simply going straight actually be a bit faster?

Ok, that was more than "a" question.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Fassn8 View Post
    Perhaps a crazy question, but it seems like he tweaks the bike out on every jump. Is there a reason for this? Habit/Style? Wouldn't simply going straight actually be a bit faster?

Ok, that was more than "a" question.

He's likely turning slightly off the lips of the jumps to scrub speed/control height, and usung counter directional steering whilst in the air to set himself up for whats coming ahead. It looks like style, but in actual fact just tools to help him control the bike better. If you watch some WC downhill you'll see similar techniques come into play.

Airing straight off a jump is actually pretty hard, best to move around in the air and get some seperation. If not the bike will pivot around the stationary object (i.e. your body) and all of a sudden you are dead sailoring and in for a nasty crash.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Really well put, Mr. O. Spot on.

mountain biker
    He's scrubbing the lip of the jump so as to not overshoot the landing. They want to limit air time while conserving speed. They pretty much all do. They go so fast down that trail for that race, that if they hit the jumps square on at full speed, they would jump too far. You're faster when your wheels are on the ground.

Check out this scrub vid: ONE LAP: Mick Hannah & Ian Morrison Scrubbing Crabapple Hits - Mountain Biking Videos - Vital MTB
    continuous growth is the strategy of a cancer cell.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Got it. Pretty awesome. Thanks for sharing that video slyfink.