mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Long Term Ripley

So the Ripley has now been around long enough to see some heavy duty wear & tear from lot's of riders. Are there any issues/problems that have shown up, specifically with the twin eccentrics? I've read a few complaints of creaks & internal cable noise but not really any major design flaws. I'll be buying a new full squish bike next year and this one is on my short list along with the Specialized Camber. The Ripley certainly looks better (to my eyes) than the Camber and the numbers tell me it would be a quicker handling bike compared to the Specialized. I've been a Specialized fanboy for a while now but the Ibis is calling my name.
    There are three kinds of people: those of us that are good at math and those that are not.

Too Much Fun
    Quote Originally Posted by onepivot View Post
    So the Ripley has now been around long enough to see some heavy duty wear & tear from lot's of riders. Are there any issues/problems that have shown up, specifically with the twin eccentrics?
    Short Answer: Not really.

I've got several friends on Ripleys and they are total tweakers about quiet, reliable bikes, in addition to putting plenty of rugged miles on them in 4 season conditions. If they were having issues I'd have heard about it. And then heard more about it. Then more still.

So the fact that they're all still stoked on the ride and haven't been crying about creaks, noise etc tells me that the Ripley is rock solid at this point. AFAIK all Ripleys are shipping with the latest eccentrics and the cable dice, all of which helped a bit on some noise issues.

That said, the Ripley and the Spesh are two very different bikes in terms of feel, so I'd be sure you know which personal flavor of squish is more delish.
    - -benja- -

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by benja55 View Post

That said, the Ripley and the Spesh are two very different bikes in terms of feel, so I'd be sure you know which personal flavor of squish is more delish.
    Sublime use of rhyme

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by challybert View Post
    Sublime use of rhyme
    You two are poets and don't even know it!

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by cmrocks View Post
    You two are poets and don't even know it!
    "Hickory Dickory Dock, my girlfriend......."ooops, nevermind.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by benja55 View Post
    Short Answer: Not really.

I've got several friends on Ripleys and they are total tweakers about quiet, reliable bikes, in addition to putting plenty of rugged miles on them in 4 season conditions. If they were having issues I'd have heard about it. And then heard more about it. Then more still.

So the fact that they're all still stoked on the ride and haven't been crying about creaks, noise etc tells me that the Ripley is rock solid at this point. AFAIK all Ripleys are shipping with the latest eccentrics and the cable dice, all of which helped a bit on some noise issues.

Thanks, benja55. That's pretty much what I need to hear. Do you have any insight on comparing the Ripley and the Camber? I test rode a 2015 Camber Expert and it is lighter and quicker handling than my 2010 Stumpjumper Expert 29er (which one would expect) On paper, the Ripley should be a more nimble bike than the Camber but I have not had a chance to ride the Ibis. Thanks again.
    There are three kinds of people: those of us that are good at math and those that are not.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I've ridden both...and a number of the Spec bikes that are anything like the Ripley...have owned a couplw S-Works Epics too. The Ripley is it's own kinda beast. I own the Ripley. I like it's nimble feel and efficient pedaling platform.

Too Much Fun
    Quote Originally Posted by onepivot View Post
    Do you have any insight on comparing the Ripley and the Camber?
    Unfortunately no, I haven't been on any Spesh 29'ers or 650b bikes.
    - -benja- -

mtbr member
    Has anybody compared the Ripley to the Santa Cruz Tallboy 2. Sold mt LTc and narrowed down to those two bikes. Probably going to do the wide rims as well. Savings my pennies to get the xtr package. Any help will be appreciated...
    Just ride and quit bit$hin........
    SANTA CRUZ TALLBOY LT...SC Highball-SS-....Supersix-EVO1

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I've ridden both VPP and DW on various bikes and as long as you get the Ripley with the DBInline I think you'll be happier than if you went with the Tallboy. The DW is a lot better for all around riding compared to the Tallboy.

Disclaimer: I currently own a Ripley

All bike, all the time
    ^^^^Don't own either but have ridden both. The Ripley hands down...
    All bike, all the time

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I demo'd a Tallboy 2 and a Ripley last summer when looking at bikes. Ended up with the Ripley. It felt just as fast and nimble as the Tallboy, but way more capable on the rough stuff (especially with the Pike 140 up front and DB Inline in back).

(You should post this question in the Santa Cruz forum too, I'm guessing you'll get folks who preferred the Tallboy there. Different strokes and all... both are great bikes, but I preferred the Ripley.)

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I've used my Ripley for Breck Epic, Cape Epic, Leadville and all the training for these events. Perfectly reliable and no issues with it at all. I do recommend purchasing a frame skin!