mtbr member

A little Mojo SL-R test ride after 18 months lovin a HD

It's taken me 10 years to make it to the Melrose Fat Tire Festival, finally got there this year and it turns out one of the event sponsors was Ibis, with a few demo bikes available. Sweet as there are very few places in Oz to demo nice bikes. Have wondered what the SL-R feels like compared to the HD.

Loved some aspects of the SL-R - nimble, light, tight, responsive - and can imagine it being a great XC/multi hour race machine but out of the box (and by design I'd guess) it's not the uber fun buggy the HD is... and I just ride for fun

ps. going forward Shadow Plus derailleurs should be standard kit on Mojo's - drivetrains are so noisy without em!

More pics and blabla at:
    Mojo SL-R Test Ride

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Hey Pete

Met you at the Fat tyre festival, tend to agree with your assessment of the SL-R good light weight trail/XC bike but not nearly as much fun as can be had on the HD

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Fingers in ears - la la not listening

Good to read a ride review.

After I decided to upgrade my SL (frame too small) I was torn between the HD and an SLR. I have been stocked on the SL and to be honest not sure what to expect of the SLR. I know the geo will be the same, although I will be running a 150mm fork compared to my current 140mm so will be a touch slacker.

I thought the HD would be similar to my previous bike, a Giant Reign which I thought was too much bike for my local trails, but it was fun.

According to my LBS my SLR should hopefully be here tomorrow. So looking forward to having built and see what it rides like.

Too Much Fun

Good job! You'll love the SL-R

Quote Originally Posted by shiny View Post
    Fingers in ears - la la not listening

According to my LBS my SLR should hopefully be here tomorrow. So looking forward to having built and see what it rides like.
    I went from a SC Nomad (1st Gen) to a Mojo SL, now on an HD 160. I miss the SL sometimes and might build it back up, but I do confess that the HD is a ridiculously nice pedaling bike. I don't really notice the weight, but I do notice the front end sometimes when climbing.

You won't regret the SL-R, especially if you put one of the new 34m forks on it at 150. That will be the shiz right there.
    - -benja- -

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    All this HD love is making my next bike decision easy. I can't wait until I have the funds.
    The Truth will set you free.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by digitalhippie13 View Post
    It's taken me 10 years to make it to the Melrose Fat Tire Festival, finally got there this year and it turns out one of the event sponsors was Ibis, with a few demo bikes available. Sweet as there are very few places in Oz to demo nice bikes. Have wondered what the SL-R feels like compared to the HD.

Loved some aspects of the SL-R - nimble, light, tight, responsive - and can imagine it being a great XC/multi hour race machine but out of the box (and by design I'd guess) it's not the uber fun buggy the HD is... and I just ride for fun

ps. going forward Shadow Plus derailleurs should be standard kit on Mojo's - drivetrains are so noisy without em!

More pics and blabla at:
    Mojo SL-R Test Ride

That is why I own one of each. The HD for all mountain and the SLR for the group ride suffer fest where speed is the key

aka dan51
    Quote Originally Posted by cdsdad View Post
    That is why I own one of each. The HD for all mountain and the SLR for the group ride suffer fest where speed is the key
    Yes, this is the only way to go.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    ...People thought they were getting a good fork because it was a "fox".