mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Limits of the Ripley?

Just curious if anyone is finding the limits on their Ripley...jumps/drops? At times I wonder if I should have purchased a bigger travel bike. I'm sure 120mm is "good enough", but at times a little more travel would be welcomed. All in all I love my Ripley, but hoping it could handle the abuse long term.

More Torque
    Quote Originally Posted by bassn View Post
    All in all I love my Ripley, but hoping it could handle the abuse long term.
    Are you worried about breaking it?

-D

mtbr member
    120 mm, you don't need more travel.... till you do!

Don't have a Ripley, but I watch one of my ridding buddies trying to get his 429 to keep up with us on the downs. It is not working out so well for him. Lot's of off's and crashes. Problems he didn't have on his Bronson. Are you running a 140 on it? That might make a decent difference. If you are just worried about durability I wouldn't be. It is a stout frame and will take the abuse.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Here are a few pictures of where I ride. I'm sure a few of you are very familiar with the trails at Demo. Nothing big, but keep in mind I'm fairly new to the sport and still learning. I'm basically a hack and that's why I feel somewhat concerned about long term durability. Skills will progress, but until then, I need my bike to withstand the beating.

Failed attempt - The balance log right after the jump was a bit tougher than I thought.
    Limits of the Ripley?-5.jpg
    Success on the 2nd attempt
    Limits of the Ripley?-4.jpg
    Limits of the Ripley?-1.jpg
    Limits of the Ripley?-2.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Limits of the Ripley?-3.jpg  

Dropshot Champ!
    The ripley was born at tested in santa cruz. I bet it was aired off santa cruz jumps thousands of times before it was even released.

Balance features become harder when you toss in a turn and a longer wheelbase. Keep up the practice!

If I lived in santa cruz and was riding demo and certain other area trails (especially with air time), I'd be swapping my fork for a pike 140. Although, in the third pic, your fork looks bigger than a sid120.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Nothing in you're pictures that I wouldn't ride on my 100mm TBc and I've ridden bigger, I think you're worrying too much. I honestly believe that a lot of people are riding more travel than they really need.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Landing jumps more about technique than travel. The travel comes more in to play in high speed chunk, in my opinion.

No dabs.
    Lopes testing the Ripley limits early last year.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by redmr2_man View Post
    The ripley was born at tested in santa cruz. I bet it was aired off santa cruz jumps thousands of times before it was even released.

Balance features become harder when you toss in a turn and a longer wheelbase. Keep up the practice!

If I lived in santa cruz and was riding demo and certain other area trails (especially with air time), I'd be swapping my fork for a pike 140. Although, in the third pic, your fork looks bigger than a sid120.
    I have the Pike 140 and loving it. Practice I will, and hopefully technique and landing will improve.

Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    Nothing in you're pictures that I wouldn't ride on my 100mm TBc and I've ridden bigger, I think you're worrying too much. I honestly believe that a lot of people are riding more travel than they really need.
    I too had a TBc and wouldn't have a problem doing these smaller jumps on occasion, but no bigger. I'm not really worrying per say, just trying to get advice and opinions of the more experienced riders on here, like yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Robo SD View Post
    Lopes testing the Ripley limits early last year.

Yeah, Brian Lopes would do the same jumps on a hard tail. He is just one bad moro!