MTBR Contributing Editor

Lightening up the Mojo

Well I just added a new post to my blog on my weight lightening to my Mojo.

Please check out my blog http://www.gramslightbikes.com/ for more details:

Original build:

bike3.JPG

Weight lightening build:

bike1.JPG

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Control tech

How are those ti skewers. I have heard they are not totally reliable and not to be used for a mountain biking. True?
    Thanks

MTBR Contributing Editor
    I have used those skewers on the Mojo and my previous mountain bike and have never had a problem with them. Now I only weigh 155 lbs and I have a light touch when I ride even though I ride some pretty gnarly rocky garden trails here in Colorado.

You can find some thread on the mtbr 'Save Some Weight' forum with more information if you need it.

But IMHO there are a great product.

Trail Rider

Crankset

How did you lose weight on the crankset?
    [size=4]Don[/size]

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    He probably replaced the hardware with lighter weight materials, Ti or aluminium.

My Ibis has been slowly creeping down in weight since I picked it up in late November as well. When I got it, it was 26.4 lbs. After changing the tires and pedals I got it to 25.6. Then I swapped the wheels to SLRs and the seatpost to a Thomson masterpiece and it came down to 24.6. After a new seat, Stans rotors and going to a custom tubeless setup, it's now 23.4lbs.

Unfortunately, I didn't weigh each part individually so I can't really tell you where each bit of weight savings came from.

MTBR Contributing Editor
    I switched out the chainring bolts with a new Aluminum set. The main savings were the inner chainring bolts since they were steel, the others were already Aluminum and the new ones were slightly shorter in length.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Xtra weight saving

If you want to save a little more weight, switch the Mojo seat collar with the Silk's seat collar. You will save 50g

Green Mojo

How can I lose half pound???

My Mojo weighs 25.42 pounds with the following gear:
    Rear Derailleur Shimano XTR RD-M971
    Front Derailleur Shimano XTR FD-M971 - 34.9 mm clamp/down swing
    Headset Cane Creek IS
    Cranks Shimano XTR FC-M970 44x32x24T - 175mm
    Brakes Shimano XTR BL-975
    Shift Levers Shimano XTR SL-970 Shifter Pods
    Cassette Shimano XTR CS-M970 (11-34T)
    Chain Shimano CN-HG93 (112 links)
    Handlebar Easton EC70 Monkeylite 660 mm Lo
    Stem Ibis 3D Forged 31.8mm bar clamp/ 28.6mm steerer
    Saddle fi'zi:k Aliante Gamma w/titanium rails
    Seat Post Easton EC90 Zero 31.6 x 400mm
    Pedals Shimano SPD M540
    Wheels Mavic SLR
    Tires Maxxis LUST: 2.0" Larsen TT (rear) & 2.1" Ignitor (front)
    Fork '07 Fox Talas 140RLC
    Shock '07 Fox RP23 7.875 x 2"

I had really hoped to be under 25.0 lbs. What recommendations do you give for losing 1/2 pound? (I want to keep that nice IBIS seat collar and I like my Talas fork....).

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    What Grips are you using? I'm thinking of changing my grips to ESI Racer edge Foam grips. They will save 100g's for $15.99. The collar will save 50g's for $20.00

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Try changing the saddle, pedals and going to a tubeless setup. After changing those three items on my medium Mojo, my bike went from 24.6 lbs to 23.4lbs.

I switched to a Selle Italia SLR, Speedplay Frogs(stainless steel) and a custom tubeless setup that my LBS did for me. Here's my buildup

Rear Derailleur- Sram X0
    Front Derailleur- Sram X9
    Headset- FSA IS
    Cranks- Race Face Deus XC 175mm
    Brakes- Magura Marta SL with Stan's rotors
    Shifters- Sram X0 twisters
    Cassette- Shimano XTR CS-M960 (11-34T)
    Chain- Sram X9
    Handlebar- Raceface Next SL
    Stem- Thomson X4 110mm
    Saddle-Selle Italia SLR Vanox
    Seat Post- Thomson Masterpiece
    Pedals-Speedplay Frogs stainless steel
    Wheels- Mavic SLR
    Tires- Continental Twister supersonic 26x1.9 with custom tubeless setup
    Fork- Fox Float 140RLC
    Shock- Fox RP23
    Grips-stock Sram
    Humdinger bell

I still have the stock seat collar on mine and I'm running the RLC fork. I haven't swapped out any bolts yet like pastajet has.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Mojo Seat Binder

Quote Originally Posted by scarsellone
    If you want to save a little more weight, switch the Mojo seat collar with the Silk's seat collar. You will save 50g
    What is the weight of the Mojo Seat Binder?
    It is not posted on the website.
    Thanks

www.derbyrims.com
    Remove your pedals, manufacturer and magazine bike weights are always done without pedals (unless specifically mentioned as with).

Ti egg beaters are much lighter too, if you want an honest bike weight with pedals.
    Last edited by derby; 02-26-2007 at 07:22 PM.

mtbr member
    1/2 lbs not too hard

Easton Monkeylite XC: -100 grams vs the EA70
    KMC SL X9 or X10 Chain (9 or 10 speed): (about) -50
    KCNC Titanium Seatpost: (about) -40
    Do you have quick release? Forget it! get bolt ons: -50 grams
    Lighter Stem: a Thomson will probably be -30/40 grams, you can go lighter still into the 120-130 grams range (I would not do it)
    Saddle SLR (ouch!) -50
    Change all the bolts (and I mean ALL!) on your bike to titanium/aluminum: -70, switch to titanium for the linkage/shock bolts -30 grams

And you are (about) there: 200-400 grams depending on what you choose

This is the easy part, you could save a bit more by using a pre-2003 XTR front der, change the XTR pods to gripshift/sachs pre-2002 (they are about 130 grams), change pedals to frogs or CookBro ...

Is it worth to change all this stuff since you have very nice components ... not so sure
    Last edited by Davide; 02-19-2007 at 09:25 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Rim Strips?

Why do you have stans rim strips with crossmax wheels? Just curious.

MTBR Contributing Editor
    Using stans rim strips with crossmax wheelsets (or any other UST) lets you use normal tires like they are tubeless, no need to use tubes with a normal tire, normal tires weigh quite a bit less then tubeless tires, although they do tend to have a thinner sidewall then the tubeless variety, they spin better but I have noticed that they don't feel as stout nor as grippy, but its a very slight feeling

flow where ever you go
    Quote Originally Posted by pastajet
    Using stans rim strips with crossmax wheelsets (or any other UST) lets you use normal tires like they are tubeless, no need to use tubes with a normal tire, normal tires weigh quite a bit less then tubeless tires, although they do tend to have a thinner sidewall then the tubeless variety, they spin better but I have noticed that they don't feel as stout nor as grippy, but its a very slight feeling
    Have you tried lower pressures, like 22-28lb. range. If not, this may add some grip for you. For stoutness, I like the Continental "Protection" line of tires. The thicker sidewall helps them seal quick, they hold up well, and roll fast (including with low pressures).

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I have used normal tires with my crossmax for years and have not ever used a stans rim strip. Thats why the crossmax are nice, you don't have to use rims strips, which will save some rotational weight on the wheels. On non tubless wheels the stans rim strips works great, but I would not use them on the UST crossmax wheels. At the shop I worked at we experimented with all kinds of tire options for the tubeless wheels, even making our own "stans" rims strips before stan made them. I found what works best for me is a normal tire in the front and a UST in the back. I would wear out the sidewalls of a normal tire in about 3 months of riding on the back wheel. I weigh 185 lbs so I think my weight caused them to wear a little faster then my lighter weight friends.

By the way I just ordered a Mojo...yeah!

MTBR Contributing Editor
    Thanks for the advice.

It has all been an experiment. I am learning as I go. I had the stans system for about 4 months on both wheels and never had any issues, although one tire would lose a small amount of air over a couple of days.

Since I have the bike stripped down I have been doing some tests with tubeless systems.

Rims: 06 Crossmax SL (UST), Tires: Schwalbe Albert 2.25 (non UST)

1) Stans Olympic rim strips, just as it states, a rim strip, just like having a small piece of inner tube

2) Eclipse tubeless UST kit, this is really just a stick on foam piece sort of like window insulation that fits in the rims groove

So last night I stuck the tire on the wheel with stans, aired it up with the compressor and it just leaked, the bead would not pop up onto the rim edge. Hmmm, so I did the stans method of using soapy water and snapped right up! Wait a sec so that is how to make it work, the soapy water does it? So I deflated it added the sealant and reinflated and so far the tire has held pressure for 8 hours.

I did the same thing with the tire on the Eclipse, no problem.

So I watched one of stans videos in which he compares the various kits (of course his rims worked best, fancy that) and it kind of seemed to me that the rim strip would help the tire stay up on the rim edge if it burped a bit or if the tire got knocked hard enough (he used a C clamp as a demo of this happening), now is that really valid? I am not sure.

Now that I know that the soap is what really helped maybe you are right and no rim strip or kit is required, that would save weight! Now would not having a rim strip matter for burping and those sort of issues to keep the tire aligned back up on the proper spot on the rim? Any thoughts?

MTBR Contributing Editor
    I asked mostly the same question on the Stans site and they told me this:

"Soapy water is only used to help the beads slide in to place and to locate any leaks in the beads/sidewall.

The rim strip absolutely affects the ability to burp a tire. You can run a UST rim with a standard tire and no rim strip but it will be harder to inflate and burp much easier."

I never had a tire burp on me yet and I will carry a bit of soap with me on the trail if I have inflation issues. So time to drop all of the rim strips! Get to save 80 grams or so, got to like that!

Keep Riding !!
    My Mojo is now setup with Stans Rim Strips on standard DT 4.1d rims with non UST Schwalbe Racing Ralph on the Front and non UST Maxxis Ignitor on the rear with no problems so far however have only done a couple of hundred Km's. Friends have simular set-ups with lots of K's and no problems. Probably saved about 200 grams and hopefully no punctures
    Just Ride !

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I have never had problems with a tire burbing. I have found that on the trail if I get a flat (very, very, rare) I just put a tube in and ride home that way. You will usuallly not get a flat with stans sealant in the tires, I have seen some 1/4 inch holes seal up.

I have set a seal at a race with no compressor using a co2 cartridge, that worked pretty slick. Also try putting a tube in the tire and getting the beads to seal. Unsead just one side to take the tube out. Then put the stans in and get it to seal up. Even with a compressor it can take a long time to sead some non UST tires. I have found that if I am patient and keep working at it eventually they seal up.

MTBR Contributing Editor
    Update:

Rims: 06 Crossmax SL (UST), Tires: Schwalbe Albert 2.25 (non UST)
    Strips: Stans Olympics

So I did another 2 tests:

1) I removed the tire and the stans rim strip, installed a Eclipse presta valve and then put the tire back on. Even with the soapy solution the tire would not pop up onto the sidewall.

2) Removed the tire and taped the rim with electrical tape (still no stans rim strip), using the soap as before I was able to pop on the tire without any problem. I then deflated the tire, took out the core, filled with stans sealant, inflated tire and it has held air for a couple of days now.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jchembel
    What is the weight of the Mojo Seat Binder?
    It is not posted on the website.
    Thanks
    63 grams is what mine weighed on my digital scale. I replaced it with the Silk clamp which weighs 15 grams. Both are beautiful!
    My Wanted List:

1. '87 Shogun Prairie Breaker Team Issue (small)

Knomer
    Now all you need is an appropriate frame for this totally killer build!

Colnago comes to mind.