mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Length of seatpost?

Does my seatpost have to be 410mm long? Somebody wrote that some bikes need the length to strengthen the top tube junction.
    It looks like I could chop 3 or 4 inches and still have lots left over.
    A bicycle will take you to fantastic places....if you let it.

Ibis fan since '08 now rolling on the big wheeled Ripley.

komojo dragon
    Mar 2007
    There should be a "minimum" inserted length mark on the seat post. That's a safety thing. If you look at where your highest seat height for riding is at the seat post clamp, and there is a gap between that and the minimum mark, (min mark is below your max ride height spot!) the difference between these is ok to lop off - and if you do, make sure you chamfer the end or file a radius lip around the end of where you cut the seatpost. If you are tempted to go for more check with Ibis and the seat post mfg. first!

One or more warranties could be voided: bike frame, seat post, life expectancy
    O-Jo-Mo-Jo!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Ha! I just cut a few inches off my post this afternoon...

Anything over about 4" insertion into the frame can be cut, but if you let others ride your bike you have to remember that you have a shorter post now and try not to over extend it.
    Extra points for cutting it at an angle with the longest part forward. It's lighter weight for a given post / frame interface strength and goes into the frame easier as well.

By the way that "FSA dynamic assembly paste" does seem to reduce the clamping force needed to keep the post in place.

Cheers!
    Hans