mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Large or X-Large HDR? Help with sizing.

I'm 6'1'' coming off a Santa Cruz Blur LTc. Debating over a large or x-large HDR.

My Blur LTc is 19.5" seat tube and 23.5" top tube. With my setup on a 70mm stem it seems like there is too much seat post sticking out (i have long legs), about 9.75" measured to the top of the seat clamp.

Considering a large HDR is 19" seat tube and 23.8" top tube, would this be too small for my setup?

I am thinking about a x-large so less seat post but well over the stem and a 50mm stem to compensate the top tube difference (21" ST/24.6" TT)

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    For what it's worth I'm a little over 6' and I bought a large. I don't have it yet so I can't tell you how well it fits.

If you can see if you can demo a large and XL regular Mojo HD, frame sizing should be basically the same.

aka dan51
    Search the forums, there is lots of sizing discussion.
    Don't let exposed seat post be a reason for changing frame sizes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    ...People thought they were getting a good fork because it was a "fox".

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I did the same between MD and LRG. You need to try the bike. If you cant find an HDR than find a HD.

How much seatpost do you have sticking up? If you switch to a 400mm post you can pull it up a bit more.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Go large, I'm 6'2 and regret my XL purchase. The wheelbase is fine, TT length is suburb on the XL, but the stand over/seat tube height sucks. Especially if you're catching air y, or riding something really steep and tuck your body up to the bike.

Team Chilidog!
    I'm between sizes as well (small and medium). I opted for the small, and I have absolutely no regrets.

The shorter wheelbase allows you to fling it around a lot more, which is something I prefer than a bike with a longer wheelbase that's harder to jump and requires a lot more force to whip it around a corner.

Surprisingly, you don't lose any stability with the shorter wheelbase on the smaller frame.. the HD is just awesome.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    my vote is xl, they fit small, simalir to blur.
    long top tube/shorter stem is better imo.
    your weight would be more centered, and the bike would be more comfortable.
    lapierre is doing this with all their bikes next year, they discuss it here.Lapierre 2014: Mid-Sized Wheels for Spicy and Zesty and a Wicked 29er - Pinkbike

mtbr member
    I'm 6' 2" and have had some solid riding time on an XL HDR now. I'm convinced I purchased the right size, I took a shot in the dark going with an 80mm stem it works pretty well but the steering was just a bit slow for my taste. Swapped out for a 70mm the other day and it's perfect for me. I road around a bit on a friends Large HDR a bit and felt way to cramped in the cockpit for my style of riding.

Your results may vary ;-)
    Go get that KOM "You Deserve" - http://www.digitalepo.com/index.php

mtbr member
    You're going to get a mix of old school advice to go L, and new school advice to go XL w/ a shorter stem. If you were happy with the handling of your Blur then I'd say stick with the large.
    D-Bug's advice to ignore exposed seatpost is good, as is Canuck's advice to test ride. There's no right answer, only personal preference.

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by doismellbacon View Post
    You're going to get a mix of old school advice to go L, and new school advice to go XL w/ a shorter stem. If you were happy with the handling of your Blur then I'd say stick with the large.
    D-Bug's advice to ignore exposed seatpost is good, as is Canuck's advice to test ride. There's no right answer, only personal preference.
    Or you could go new new school, and ride something smaller with a shorter stem and wider bars and feel like you have a mini DH bike.

No matter what you do, test ride. Fortunately, you should be able to find something. It's a lot harder to find a small to test ride (fortunately, a friend of mine lent me hers).
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by samduhspam View Post
    I'm 6'1'' coming off a Santa Cruz Blur LTc. Debating over a large or x-large HDR.

My Blur LTc is 19.5" seat tube and 23.5" top tube. With my setup on a 70mm stem it seems like there is too much seat post sticking out (i have long legs), about 9.75" measured to the top of the seat clamp.

Considering a large HDR is 19" seat tube and 23.8" top tube, would this be too small for my setup?

I am thinking about a x-large so less seat post but well over the stem and a 50mm stem to compensate the top tube difference (21" ST/24.6" TT)

Thanks!
    Go with the XL...especially if you have long legs. I'm 5'10" and bought a medium. Big mistake. I tried compensating with a 70mm stem (
    HD shouldn't be run with anything longer than that IMO) and putting my seat all the way back, but these were just bandaids for the real problem.....the bike is too small. Luckily, I was able to get a large triangle from Ibis which I'm getting installed this weekend. With the large, I'll be able to run a 50mm stem with my 750mm wide bars with my seat optimized for pedaling efficiency. Mojo HD runs small for sure and to preserve the dynamic control of the bike, it's better to run the shorter stem with widers bars. The old mentality was to get smaller frames and run longer stems with setback posts and while some people still adopt this view, I think proper framing with shorter stems and wider bars is optimal for all mountain riding. Remember, the bike runs small so it'll still be great on the tight single track and will shine in every other situation. Personally, I like to ride inside of a bike, rather than on top of one. I also plan to do some amateur enduro races on it so having more bike under me means a better climb and a more stable descent. Also, these bikes tend to ride short and tall, but that won't matter because you have long legs and a dropper post yes?

In the end, try both and see what feels right. You're like me...right in between where we can ride two sizes...but one definitely feels better than the other....and with Ibis bikes...it's most likely the bigger one. Good luck!

mtbr member
    I'm 6-1 with long arms and rode a L Heckler for 7 years. I just replaced it with an XL HD. Best decision ever. I never realized how much that little bit of extra room would let me breathe more freely when going hard, provide serious stability when going down, and just never feel cramped when going up. The above posters are right, fit is everything, and if you can, definitely get on both a L and an XL head to head. As soon as I started pedaling the XL around I knew it just fit me right. You'll know when you hop on.
    ENJOY!!
    Wrecker of fine things