mtbr member
    Feb 2008

ladies input on Mojo HD?

My wife and I are avid mountain bikers and live in Vancouver, BC. The terrain up here is diverse to say the least. We ride everything from shuttling North Shore trials, to extended "xc" rides in Squamish, to the bike park in Whistler. Recently my wife and I had the opportunity to demo Mojo HDs on the North Shore and it was very well suited for my wife on that ride because she prefers a lighter bike that she can control more easily than a heavy DH bike. That being said, we are wondering how well she would be able to pedal it on our extended rides with lots of climbing. She currently rides a Specialized Safire (120mm) on "xc" rides, but the terrain can be overwhelming for that bike, mostly due to the steep head angle at 69 and she bottoms out the suspension often.

So we are in search of opinions from any women who ride the Mojo HD with 160mm of travel for more all-mountain/xc purposes. How do you find it on extended climbs vs short technical climbs? Do you notice the weight of the bike during climbs? My wife is 5'7" and weighs around 115 lbs with her riding gear on. She is an advanced rider but by no means an expert. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    While i'm not a woman, i can attest to the HD's climbing capabilities. The two guys i usually ride with are xc fanatics (one is just a fitness junkie, the other came over from road biking, so he's a huge weight weenie). They ride a Santa Cruz Superlight and a Bianchi hard tail xc race bike, respectively. While their fitness levels are considerably higher than mine, the only thing that holds me back is my lack of fitness lol. But the HD climbs better than both of those bikes in rougher terrain. I climbed a dried up river bed on my HD while both of them had to push. It climbs amazingly for how big it is. I have found that the front end will wander a little on steeper ascents if you aren't careful. I bought the Fox Talas 160/120, which solves that problem for me.

I love this bike almost more than life itself. And if she doesn't find the weight of it to be an issue, it's a solid choice.

Mtb Guide
    Not a chick either, but this bike will allow her to ride longer, faster, climb as well as shorter travel bikes definitely better than anything in its class at 140 or 160 modes easily its almost cheating its that good.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I ride a HD160 with a 140/180 TALAS and SLX, so it's not the lightest HD by any means. I was in N.Van last year and did two loops at Seymour, no shuttling, and rode from Lyn Valley all the way to the top of Grouse to just get a "good" ride in.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Thanks for all the input. I was able to ride an HD in Moab a couple years ago, and I agree with everyone on the HDs climbing ability. I think my wife is more concerned with the overall weight difference between her current bike, which sits around 24lbs, and the HD, which would probably be around 30lbs with a setup that could withstand bike park abuse. This bike would be a major purchase for us so that is why we are trying to get as much info as possible.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I would send an email to Ibis and ask them. You might even get a response for Ann Caroline Chausson herself. I think she won every race she entered last year.
    You could also send an email to Kristin Butcher at Bike magazine(bikemag. Com) and ask her what she thinks.

As for the weight, I don't notice it. I seem to recall Brian Lopes winning the air DH on an SLR, which would be right about the weight of her current bike.

mtbr member
    We live in Victoria BC. My Gf rides a SC Nomad. Not exactly the same as the Mojo HD, but in broad strokes they are comparable. She has friends with 4"-5" XC/trails bikes that are lighter and I have no doubt she'd be faster/less tired on them going up, but her confidence and enjoyment coming down on a 6"+ travel FS bike with relaxed angles is huge. She'd be a lot slower and be smiling less on a XC oriented bike.

It only takes one bad wipeout to ruin the day.

If we had loads of $$ we'd bling out her Nomad and drop 6-7 lbs, but we don't so she rides it as is.

If we were buying her another bike we'd go the same route for a bike like the Nomad/Mojo HD. We'd spend whatever we could afford to get the lightest bike possible.

BTW - we are both running heavy 2.4" Conti Trail Kings. They are quite a bit larger than the stock 2.35" Nevagals on her bike. Although they weigh more the extra diameter + the traction means she is faster uphill and downhill with less hang ups on roots/rock and less pedal strikes. Because she can keep her flow going uninterrupted she's less tired than when she was running smaller/lighter tires. For BC terrain the extra 20mm in wheel height makes a huge difference.

Just some food for thought.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    This could be considered a stupid reply. i don't have an Ibis (I have an older yeti 575). But I have been spending a silly amount of time researching and thinking about an Ibis HD and a few other bikes in the category. If weight is a concern, I think that it would probably be worth at least considering a look at the pivot mach 5.7c. Could be almost 2 pounds lighter (obviously depending on your setup ...biggest factor being many people run big forks on the HD, but the pivot really isn't designed for anything more than 150). Definitely not as solid for DH .... but ... again, if weight is a concern, it seems like a pretty good alternative with similar relaxed angles and capabilities. ( similar, but not the same )

Again, its not worth beating me up over this post. I totally admit to A) not having any direct experience and B) not claiming that the pivot would be better. Mostly just suggesting another option.

mtbr member

ladies input on Mojo HD?

It's a good suggestion SLC. And while I think the OP's wife would probably be stoked on an HD, the SL-R with 34/160 fork and maybe an angleset is worth considering too since weight and XC prowess is a concern. Not as burly as an HD, but It's still a massively capable bike across a wide range.

mtbr member
    Just be sure to ride them both, I demo'd the Mach 5.7 and the HD (and came off a 575) and there was absolutely no question which was the right bike for me. HD.

They seemed to ride completely different though in my eyes. The HD seemed worlds better both up and down.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    All good input and ideas. Thanks everyone! @vikb I will try putting some 2.3 tires on her current bike to see if it helps for now. The slr is also a good option and I will keep it in mind when we are making the final selection.

mtbr member
    My wife is the same height/weight as yours and has been on a Mojo HD for 2 years. Her bike is 29-30 lbs but it's not a problem for long climbing days and is great in the technical stuff. You couldn't pry the bike away from her.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Thanks ScottW....thats great to hear. What is the build of your wife's HD? We are going for the same weight range. Any suggestions for how you would alter the build based on her experience?

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottW View Post
    My wife is the same height/weight as yours and has been on a Mojo HD for 2 years. Her bike is 29-30 lbs but it's not a problem for long climbing days and is great in the technical stuff. You couldn't pry the bike away from her.
    Am I the first chick HD owner to comment??? I agree with the comments above. I'm a 5'8 rider from CO and the HD is the best trail bike I've ever owned hands down. I wouldn't even want to demo any other bike since that would mean I can't ride my HD. I do have a DH bike I ride at the bike park so the HD is my trail bike. I can climb on it all day no problem. That being said I used to ride a Transition Syren as my trail bike and though I love that bike so much I have to admit it is a pig while climbing. The suspension design is far superior on the HD and allows you to go so much faster. My first ride on the HD I was so much faster then I had ever been before on both the up and the down. I have ridden Froome on the Syren and would love to bring the HD back there. I ride some trails in CO that some might think the HD is overkill for, but it all depends on how you ride. The HD is a bike that can have fun anywhere. I ski fat skis with big boots everywhere and some people think the same thing, but to each their own. BC (that I have seen) is rowdy so I wouldn't think your wife would want anything less.

My build is at 31 lbs, but I like big rubber (minions) and use a bash (with type 2 der) - tried the gammut guide but broke that after a season and am loving the type 2). I also have a CCDB air on it and think it is the best shock I've ever ridden (want a ccdb coil for my dh bike now!) and it has been dialed from the first ride from my LBS. Talus up front since I really need to be able to dial down the front on steep ups.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by LaBelle23 View Post
    Am I the first chick HD owner to comment??? I agree with the comments above. I'm a 5'8 rider from CO and the HD is the best trail bike I've ever owned hands down. I wouldn't even want to demo any other bike since that would mean I can't ride my HD. I do have a DH bike I ride at the bike park so the HD is my trail bike. I can climb on it all day no problem. That being said I used to ride a Transition Syren as my trail bike and though I love that bike so much I have to admit it is a pig while climbing. The suspension design is far superior on the HD and allows you to go so much faster. My first ride on the HD I was so much faster then I had ever been before on both the up and the down. I have ridden Froome on the Syren and would love to bring the HD back there. I ride some trails in CO that some might think the HD is overkill for, but it all depends on how you ride. The HD is a bike that can have fun anywhere. I ski fat skis with big boots everywhere and some people think the same thing, but to each their own. BC (that I have seen) is rowdy so I wouldn't think your wife would want anything less.

My build is at 31 lbs, but I like big rubber (minions) and use a bash (with type 2 der) - tried the gammut guide but broke that after a season and am loving the type 2). I also have a CCDB air on it and think it is the best shock I've ever ridden (want a ccdb coil for my dh bike now!) and it has been dialed from the first ride from my LBS. Talus up front since I really need to be able to dial down the front on steep ups.
    Good info. Out of curiosity, what is your inseam and what size do you ride?

Mtb Guide

Great post, need more of this here.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by hillharman View Post
    Good info. Out of curiosity, what is your inseam and what size do you ride?
    32 inseam and ride a medium. I like smaller bikes (have a small dh bike), but the medium HD is the perfect sizing for me (use a 50mm stem). My Syren is a ladies medium (16 I think) and my previous Intense 6.6 was a medium but a little big for me as my riding tastes developed.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    32 inseam and ride a medium. I like smaller bikes (have a small dh bike), but the medium HD is the perfect sizing for me (use a 50mm stem). My Syren is a ladies medium (16 I think) and my previous Intense 6.6 was a medium but a little big for me as my riding tastes developed.
    Thanks for the input! We are sold on the HD....now just a matter of time and a lot of savings.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TexMatt View Post
    Thanks ScottW....thats great to hear. What is the build of your wife's HD? We are going for the same weight range. Any suggestions for how you would alter the build based on her experience?
    Her build could go lighter pretty easily but the set up works for our riding. XT 2x10 drivetrain w/SRAM shifters/der, Fox float 36, Reverb seat post, Enve carbon bars, thomson stem, hadley hubs/dt revolution/light bikes carbon rims, Conti trail king 2.2's, Hope tech m4 brakes.

Nothing about the current build that she doesn't like.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    A quick update. We did end up buying a Mojo HD for my wife. Two rides later and she is absolutely loving it. She doesn't even notice the weight difference while climbing and she even thinks it is easier to climb than on her Safire. The ride downhill is no contest. Her build is mostly XO, with a 34 Talas (the travel adjust is nice on the long fire-road type climbs) and KS dropper post.

I even took it on a short loop and thought it was amazing. Now I need one! Couldn't be happier with the decision.