Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

KS LEV or RS Reverb

Hi guys!

I haven't decided yet some of the components I'll ride in my future Ibis Mojo HD. In this case, I have a doubt with the seatpost. With their kits, Ibis allow to ride the KS LEV seatpost and I'm not sure if choosing it or the RS Reverb.

Which of these options work better? One of the RS Reverb's pros is that it is considerably cheaper.

What do you prefer of these two seatposts?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Having owned both, for me it's an absolute no brainer; Reverb every day of the week. I've now got 3 Reverbs, and each of them continues to work flawlessly and reliably, with no maintenance required, one of them being 3 years old now ridden through british winters and summers alike.
    I've converted my HD to using the Reverb Stealth, along with a 1x11 XX1 setup, which keeps the top tube clean of the cables which was always the visually unfinished mess on an otherwise awesome bike.
    Go Reverb, you won't regret it. Cheaper, more reliable, easier to get parts, better function, less ongoing maintenance. As I said, for me, no-brainer.
    Enjoy

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

KS LEV or RS Reverb

The KS caught my eye last year and still looks like a strong contender. But the Stealth option on the Reverb helped direct my decision. Would have been harder if KS offered the Integra as aftermarket. Having used the Reverb Stealth for almost a year now, I've been seriously considering a 2nd one for the other bike (although that short-travel carbon KS dropper looks tempting but $$$).

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

KS LEV or RS Reverb

Having run neither I would recommend the Reverb because of SRAM's customer service. The are very good on that end, at least in my experience. It gets pretty good reviews as a product and I have had great experience with their CS department. If only they made one in a 27.2 for my Karate Monkey...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I have a LEV and love it! I also found a cable route that keeps the top tube clean and does not require drilling the frame...

KS LEV or RS Reverb-8721843402_36ae8d7f6c_b.jpg
    KS LEV or RS Reverb-8721838134_c9c9d33312_b.jpg
    KS LEV or RS Reverb-8721838732_962b149dcf_b.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    KS Lev user here. Great item, but pricey. I like the cable on top personally. Easy to service, stays out of the mud.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I owned two Reverbs over the course of a year. After the second one went back for blown seals for the 3rd time, I had had enough. I sold the replacement they sent me immediately after receiving it, and picked up a KS Supernatural b/c I couldn't afford the LEV. It's a great post, much easier to service on my own, no need to bleed yet another hydraulic line. From everything I hear the LEV is even better.
    ride, eat, sleep, repeat

Well Biked
    Jun 2005
    Does the Reverb come in a 150mm version yet? If not, I would say that would be one advantage of the KS for long legged riders. My Reverb has been problem free since they warranty replaced the first version that came out. But still, if I had a 150 I would be able to remove my quick release for good.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scepticshock View Post
    Does the Reverb come in a 150mm version yet? If not, I would say that would be one advantage of the KS for long legged riders. My Reverb has been problem free since they warranty replaced the first version that came out. But still, if I had a 150 I would be able to remove my quick release for good.
    No, it doesn't. The longest RS Reverb's travel is 125 mm.

I take advantage of the oportunity for making a new question for XL Mojo HD users: can you insert the whole seatpost in the seat tube of your XL frames?

If I finally choose the XL frame, I'm not sure about it... Or can I solve this problem with a short version of each seatpost (about 380 mm of lenght more or less).

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I rode a Reverb for 2.5 years. They work well, but would each break after about 9 months. I had Rockshox replace them each time at sea otter. I also managed to rip off the remote button with my shorts once. Overall the Reverb is a good post though.

I recently got a KS LEV and cannot speak to its longevity yet. However, the actuation is just as nice as with the Reverb and I love that I can get a 6" drop. So far it is my favority. Cable management is also easier.

aka dan51
    KS has the best lever on the market, IMO. Integrates into most grips, and isn't bulky and in the way. Can be switched sides without needing a new lever.
    I put together a HOW TO for rebuilding a KS post.
    KS i900 FIXED. It is FULLY rebuildable at home.

The customer service can be hit or miss. I bought mine through a bike shop, so if there are problems they can deal with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    ...People thought they were getting a good fork because it was a "fox".

mtbr member
    Reverb user here and mine has been great for the last 18 months of use. I have seen riders have problems with both, but these are two of the best. Can't go wrong either way.

Well Biked
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Lobanovskyy View Post
    No, it doesn't. The longest RS Reverb's travel is 125 mm.

I take advantage of the oportunity for making a new question for XL Mojo HD users: can you insert the whole seatpost in the seat tube of your XL frames?

If I finally choose the XL frame, I'm not sure about it... Or can I solve this problem with a short version of each seatpost (about 380 mm of lenght more or less).
    I ride a large, and I have no problem dropping my Reverb all the way down the seat tube.

Mtb Guide
    I run a Reverb too been 14 months on mine no issues other than the cable route.

The new Stealths do offer 150mm option if its available, if you are prepared to drill the hole, Im tempted then it would be my choice over the Lev.

If not the Lev cable exit is cleaner and less hassle.

For me these are the pros and cons.

Reverb:
    Stealth unbeatable imo
    I prefer the Reverb lever, left hand side underneath more natural than using any design on top of the bar for my taste anyway.
    reliable to date.
    great 2 bolt seat fixing
    integrates with Sram brakes cleaner bar
    cable route out of the lever more protected and cleaner looking

cons
    std cable route I hate it but live with it because I love everything else

Lev
    actuation great
    cable route for the HD without drilling good.

cons
    lever for me
    cable exit out of said lever, nothing worse than a big loop out front of the bars.
    [use a brake noodle to route the cable better if you choose the Lev]
    not quite as clean looking compared to the Reverb stealth model
    cost and its not fully hydraulic how can that be overpriced imo especially due to some of the above over thoughts, you get one end routed great and forget the other end doh, not good execution!
    setup the cable head housing at the seat-post correctly noting worse than it hanging out the side, unscrew the top cap and twist the cable head housing (bit that has Lev on it) to face backwards or forwards people.

imo both are the only 2 options so you cant go too wrong, Ive helped 3 friends onto Levs all are happy, more so with the cable noodle.

Noodle, remember we all had these with V-Brakes in the day, easy to get @ any decent LBS.

mtbr member
    I have an HD and want to run the Stealth. Where did you tap a hole in the frame? Can you post some pics?

aka dan51
    Quote Originally Posted by ibkip98 View Post
    I have an HD and want to run the Stealth. Where did you tap a hole in the frame? Can you post some pics?
    There is a thread by Yody on doing this, search these forums for it. Hole is one of the water bottle mounting cage holes with the nut removed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    ...People thought they were getting a good fork because it was a "fox".

mtbr member
    +1 on the LEV. I spec'd it on my new bike build because I like the lever better, the overall clean look better, and that the cable doesn't have to move up and down with the post. From what I've experience, read and seen on trails, they seem pretty equivalent reliability-wise. Can't go wrong with either but LEV has the edge in my book.

The Crow
    Have gone from a Reverb to a Lev on my SL-R. Bit of a neat-freak and it works really well. In terms of operation and reliability nothing between it and the Reverb at the moment.
    KS LEV or RS Reverb-20130425_172201.jpg
    KS LEV or RS Reverb-20130425_172029.jpg
    There's a feeling I get
    When I look to the West
    And my spirit is crying for leaving

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I have a reverb. It is a very nice post in terms of play and function when it works, which for me sadly has not been all the time. I bought my first one in 2011. It blew a seal in the fall of 2011 and RS replaced it. I then rode that post until fall of 2012 when it started to sag about 1 inch at the top. RS quickly replaced that one, so I am now on my third post. I can't complain about the CS, which has been fantastic.

My wife has the KS. She started with the i900 three years ago. It has never failed during that time, while I went through 2 joplins and am now on my third reverb. She upgraded to the Lev 150mm 6 months ago. Her old post is still awesome and the LEV is even nicer. It's a truly awesome dropper post.

I am building a new bike and will be getting a LEV or Thomson. YMMV

mtbr member

Re: KS LEV or RS Reverb

I have owned 2ks lev 125 & 150 and a 125 reverb. They all work without any issue.
    I prefer the lev, the lever and the cable are nicer, it is easier to just detach the cable without bleeding...
    BTW there is an internally routed Lev already.

http://m.pinkbike.com/news/First-loo...seatposts.html
    Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Played with both but got the Lev based on shop recommendations. They sell a ton of posts and see a lot of Reverbs needing repair but very few Lev. Bottom line seemed to be that when they're working both are great, but that the Reverb fails more frequently in their experience. YMMV

MPI
    mtbr member
    I have a 125mm Reverb 2012 in XL HD and just done a complete rebuild. I got worn top cap bushings and decided to do a complete rebuild at the same time. Sram has 4 HowTo videos but it is not the easiest DIY service you can do. You need special tools which can easily acquired from webshops. Mine is a normal (not stealth) and I will change the routing along the down tube and seat tube. I do not want install any cable to top tube. I replaced my (t)rusty rivnuts with new ss ones with epoxy and sealed them with plastic screws. I have been very satisfied with Reverb.
    http://www.kiva.org - Loans That Change Lives

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Weirdly, the pro reviews here in the UK, where we have harsh conditions (mud, rain, and general sh#t weather half the time...!) have confirmed my experience of the Lev, it worked great for a few rides, then suffers stiction and diminished function as rides continue... The same reviews say they would still stick with the Reverb due to the best-in -class reliability.
    From my own experience, the Lev and other KS posts I've had didn't last long before problems, but did have pretty good customer service to be fair. I've now been running one of my 3 Reverbs for over 2 years, through British winters, summers etc, and have never once had a single reliability or function issue, it's just worked flawlessly throughout, which considering the conditions it gets put through here in the UK is amazing in my book. The other two Reverbs I run are also the same. I can only say you need to bleed the Reverb carefully and properly when you first get it, then in my experience, it's a fit and forget item.

For the record, I meticulously clean the post stanchions after each ride, so it's not rider neglect.

Coming back to your original question, for the Mojo HD, just drill out the lower bottle-mount bolt (which can easily be replaced), then drill a small hole through the carbon sheet inside the frame to allow route for the Reverb stealth, then setup the Stealth. It's honestly amazingly easy, and looks sweet, and even cleaner than the Lev!

As for the lever, the KS lever is pretty darn good, but it still relies on cable actuation, which stretches quick quickly, so needs adjustment on an ongoing basis. Personally I run 1x11 so mount the Reverb button under the bar on the left side, which is the most comfortable, natural position to have it IMHO.

Bottom line, everyone has their favourite, but for me, on the HD, the Reverb Stealth is a not brainer; reliable, great operation that breezes through British conditions, and finishes the HD off nicely by meaning no messy cable on the top-tube

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Hi Humdinger - I had a Yeti 575 off you a couple of years ago I live down in West Wales

I have had a reverb for 4 months just died on me so sent off to SRAM about to fit a KS LEV to my new Ripley it seems a more quality bit of kit time will tell.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by m_t_b View Post
    Hi Humdinger - I had a Yeti 575 off you a couple of years ago I live down in West Wales

I have had a reverb for 4 months just died on me so sent off to SRAM about to fit a KS LEV to my new Ripley it seems a more quality bit of kit time will tell.
    I remember you mate! How's the Welsh trails? You were near Afan or Cwmcarn if I recall? Ripley now huh?! I'd be interested to know ur thoughts on it for UK riding, as the jury's out for me on FS 29ers for UK. I've got a Cotic Solaris 29er hard tail which I love, and a SC Blur TRc 650B which also rips, but haven't enjoyed any 29er FS rigs yet...? They're great for maintaining speed but don't enjoy them like a 26/650B...

As for getting a Lev, hope urs holds up better than mine did in UK grime... The Reverbs haven't even blinked in well over 2 years!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast