Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Just unpacked my HD frame and found this!

The LBS is shut and won't be open till tomorrow :-(

What do people think?

HD by james_ferguson, on Flickr

Too Much Fun

Cosmetic (IMO)

...but still mildly annoying.

Ahhhh, paint. One of the many reasons I've only ridden natural finish frames for years.
    - -benja- -

mtbr member
    Very annoying considering how long I've waited and my first painted frame in 7yrs (always had raw finish)

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Its actually a common problem on painted HD frames I found out. Not a structual problem though. I had the same thing happen on my white frame. Covered up with o-ring. Looks fine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Just unpacked my HD frame and found this!-19042012206.jpg  

mtbr member
    Meh, it's just a tiny crack in the paint. If its ridden properly it will have lots of scars! Just enjoy the ride.

aka dan51
    Nothing to worry about.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    ...People thought they were getting a good fork because it was a "fox".

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I had the same thing. The inner tube is inserted a long way and that top area is prone to paint crack.
    I was annoyed when I first got my frame too, but I have forgotten about it. It is an issue that Ibis are aware of but not so much to stop production and re-engineer.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Not a big deal. I'm sure you'll get nicks and dings as you ride your HD.

mtbr member
    I like the o-ring idea.
    Last edited by nixgame22; 07-19-2012 at 02:15 PM.
    Maintain internal heights.

mtbr member
    Have the same on mine though I'm not sure when it happend. The seat clamp covers it and it hasn't grown so it's not been an issue for me.
    Last edited by Murchman; 07-18-2012 at 08:41 PM.

mtbr member
    You want perfect carbon buy a carbon specialized frame, but you might appreciate your $2500 frame when you find out the Spec's are OVER $3K

mtbr member
    looks like it took a little hit on top of the seat tube, chipping a piece of the paint of and creating the split. Again looks cosmetic, but I am no expert, but if I were you I would be bummed as well. Considering the wait time and cost involved. Hope it works out.
    "Live dangerously and you live right."
    Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    That is a result of the inner seat tube clamping down on the seat post and pulling away from the outer seat tube section of the frame. It doesn't have any affect on the frame durability and many of the frames will do it, especially if the post is a slightly loose fit or has a flat back. There's about 4 more inches of bond area deeper in the frame so it is secure.
    H

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Of the few Ibis frames that i came across when shopping for mine, as well as when i received mine, the paint job was less than stellar. Uneven taping around the seat post, head tube and even through the holes for the links in the rear triangle. The paint on mine wasn't cracked like yours, but the tape job looked very rushed.
    All in all, it doesn't bother me though. So long as the bike does what i need it to do (and my HD does it amazingly well), i'm happy.

mtbr member
    The bike is unique and has the best warranty in the business. It's also cheaper than nearly every other carbon 6" frame. Considering the performance, exclusivity, and price. Having minor defects in the overall finish does not bother me one bit.

aka dan51
    Quote Originally Posted by Yody View Post
    The bike is unique and has the best warranty in the business. It's also cheaper than nearly every other carbon 6" frame. Considering the performance, exclusivity, and price. Having minor defects in the overall finish does not bother me one bit.
    Ditto.

You won't give a **** by the end of the first ride.

Last night I had Indian food with some friends. I found a dead wasp in one of the dishes. The food was so good that we just kept on eating. We didn't make a fuss or ask for our money back. In fact, I brought the leftovers home. I know people that would have acted completely opposite. Point is, everyone is different. If the crack bugs you, return it. But you'll be missing out on the best bike on the market. Or exchange for a black one, then the same crack won't be noticeable. I could have eaten that wasp and never known; who knows how many I've unknowingly eaten in the last 37 years.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    ...People thought they were getting a good fork because it was a "fox".

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Mine....used now.......has a few cracks in the paint in that area. It's normal.

Wait for me!
    I was less than impressed by the masking they did on the rear link bolt holes on my frame. But so far that's the biggest complaint I've had about the frame. Small potatoes. You can't powder coat carbon, such is life. You should have a bottle of touch up paint in the box. My girl told me I should paint my nails with it, kinda tough to explain to the guys at work why I'm dolled up in Vitamin P lol.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    The bikes are so pretty, cosmetic issues are annoying at first. After 1.5 years, I'm much less concerned about 'blinging' out my Mojo SL and consider all the 'dings' as badges of honor. My touch-up paint has gotten a lot of use. My white bike with red bling accents now has pink pedals (hand-me-downs from my downhill bike). It also has white, lime-green, and camo duct tape holding an inner tube onto the frame (the husband borrowed a tube and decided the bike needed some green when he duct-taped a new tube onto the bike. The camo duct tape is al we had available when the other tape was peeling off because a friend wanted duct tape for trailside maintenance.

With all it's blemishis, it's now like the Velveteen Rabbit from the children's book, "ôReal isn't how you are made,' said the Skin Horse. 'It's a thing that happens to you. When a child loves you for a long, long time, not just to play with, but REALLY loves you, then you become Real."

Too Much Fun

Good job! The HD Velvateen Rabbit Award

Quote Originally Posted by miatagal96 View Post
    With all it's blemishis, it's now like the Velveteen Rabbit from the children's book, "ôReal isn't how you are made,' said the Skin Horse. 'It's a thing that happens to you. When a child loves you for a long, long time, not just to play with, but REALLY loves you, then you become Real."

...if there isn't an award for Best Use of The Velvateen Rabbit in a Mountain Biking Context, well, then there should be!

But you're right of course. Many material things in Life are like this, mountain bikes included. So shiny and lovely when new, then we notice those blemishes or first dings and our heart sags. Then those annoyances fade away as we blast through the pleasures of the trail.
    - -benja- -

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Yody View Post
    +10 Well said.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Same as mine. Ibis sent me an email and mentioned that this is just cosmetic and the inner carbon clamp is just doing its job clamping the seatpost. I had a reverb put in.

No need to worry.

mtbr member
    Thanks everyone.

I built the frame last night, the next issue! Can the water bottle inserts on the down tube be replaced? One of them is just turning :-(

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by toons101 View Post
    Thanks everyone.

I built the frame last night, the next issue! Can the water bottle inserts on the down tube be replaced? One of them is just turning :-(
    Yes....pretty normal procedure. They are called RivNuts.

mtbr member
    Well said, MiataGal!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast