Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    45

    Just my luck - Mojo SL Breakdown!

    Well, it was nice while it lasted.... I rode one lap (30 minutes on a XC course) and on the second lap, something was feeling kinda "swimmy" in the rear end of the bike. I walked it back to the car and dropped it off at the shop. Nothing obvious is wrong except excessive rear play. All the linkage bolts were tight. Hopefully nothing serious, but after months of waiting for this bike, it's pretty frustrating to ride it for only 40 minutes before taking it back to the shop!

    We'll see....
    (and I'll resume road riding)

    KN

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    45
    Oh, and before someone else says it, I know, I know.....

    At least I GOT mine!!

    :-)

    That one lap WAS the funnest lap I've ever ridden out there!

    KN

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mikeyp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    46
    The same thing happened to mine. I'll assume you got yours in the first batch out? What you have done is most likely cracked/splintered the main pivot assembly directly above the bb. Have your shop take a look at this, specifically the aluminium sleeve that is bonded into the frame here.
    Tell them to call Ibis and you'll probably have a replacement in a few days...I know it sucks to build another one up...but the customer service I received was second to none.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,416
    Quote Originally Posted by kines
    Well, it was nice while it lasted.... I rode one lap (30 minutes on a XC course) and on the second lap, something was feeling kinda "swimmy" in the rear end of the bike. I walked it back to the car and dropped it off at the shop. Nothing obvious is wrong except excessive rear play. All the linkage bolts were tight. Hopefully nothing serious, but after months of waiting for this bike, it's pretty frustrating to ride it for only 40 minutes before taking it back to the shop!

    We'll see....
    (and I'll resume road riding)

    KN

    Yikes! Let us know what the problem ends up being. Hopefully you are back in the game and more permanently this time.

  5. #5
    AB
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by kines
    Well, it was nice while it lasted.... I rode one lap (30 minutes on a XC course) and on the second lap, something was feeling kinda "swimmy" in the rear end of the bike. I walked it back to the car and dropped it off at the shop. Nothing obvious is wrong except excessive rear play. All the linkage bolts were tight. Hopefully nothing serious, but after months of waiting for this bike, it's pretty frustrating to ride it for only 40 minutes before taking it back to the shop!

    We'll see....
    (and I'll resume road riding)

    KN
    KN. Same thing happened to me many years ago on an Intense Tracer. First lap of a solo 24 hour, had to run the second half of the 12 lap course to the start/finish due to a lost pivot bolt and my stupidity for failing to pack a replacement. (was very new to full suspension)

    Since then, had an epic 5 years on the Tracer.

    Now, thinking the Mojo SL with WTF groupo.

    Curious to know, how long did you wait from order placement to delivery??

    -AB

  6. #6
    AB
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewbaker77
    KN. Same thing happened to me many years ago on an Intense Tracer. First lap of a solo 24 hour, had to run the second half of the 12 lap course to the start/finish due to a lost pivot bolt and my stupidity for failing to pack a replacement. (was very new to full suspension)

    Since then, had an epic 5 years on the Tracer.

    Now, thinking the Mojo SL with WTF groupo.

    Curious to know, how long did you wait from order placement to delivery??

    -AB
    Correction: "...the 12 mile course..."

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dancruz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    382
    when you say first batch! ...the SL batch with the clearcoat?...thats a scary thought for a 2500 dollar frame...
    Just ride and quit bit$hin........
    SANTA CRUZ TALLBOY LT...SC Highball-SS-....Supersix-EVO1

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mikeyp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    46
    Quote Originally Posted by dancruz
    when you say first batch! ...the SL batch with the clearcoat?...thats a scary thought for a 2500 dollar frame...
    No, not the clear coat frames. The first few dozen to be shipped in early Dec. Ordered pre-production in early Sept and received in early Dec. Received new SL frame super quick and was on the dirt again in less than a week.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    45
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewbaker77

    Curious to know, how long did you wait from order placement to delivery??

    -AB
    5 months, pretty much to the day.
    KN

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    25
    I had a mate just finish building up his SL - first and only one in NZ currently. We were out riding the other night (me green with envy on my 'normal' mojo), when he stops to tighten up his rear hub. I grab it to see how much play there is, and the whole rear triangle is wibbly-wobbly. He thought that one of the pivot bearings had given out, but when he nursed it home and had a look, the alloy pivot bolt housing on the main triangle had unbonded from the carbon.

    With less than ten rides, and a two week wait to get a new one in, he was not impressed! At least the lads at Ibis will well and truly look after him.

    No problems with mine after a heap of riding. Have been through a set of pivots, but meant I could trade-up to blue

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    145
    Quote Originally Posted by slysi
    I had a mate just finish building up his SL - first and only one in NZ currently. We were out riding the other night (me green with envy on my 'normal' mojo), when he stops to tighten up his rear hub. I grab it to see how much play there is, and the whole rear triangle is wibbly-wobbly. He thought that one of the pivot bearings had given out, but when he nursed it home and had a look, the alloy pivot bolt housing on the main triangle had unbonded from the carbon.

    With less than ten rides, and a two week wait to get a new one in, he was not impressed! At least the lads at Ibis will well and truly look after him.

    No problems with mine after a heap of riding. Have been through a set of pivots, but meant I could trade-up to blue
    seems like there have been some bonding issues

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,140
    Quote Originally Posted by firemanfitz
    seems like there have been some bonding issues
    Isn't that 3 so far we know of ?

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,416
    You expected less? This is a sub 5-lb frame, right? Heck, instead of going lighter than the regular Mojo, I wish they would beef the things up a bit.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,140
    Quote Originally Posted by ghawk
    Isn't that 3 so far we know of ?
    I'm just mad cause might has not come yet.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    145
    Quote Originally Posted by ghawk
    Isn't that 3 so far we know of ?
    also the bonding of the seat sleeve

  16. #16
    the train keeps rollin
    Reputation: snowdrifter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,206
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyer
    I wish they would beef the things up a bit.
    Word Up I don't understand Ibis logic with the SL, maybe if it was a 4" xc race bike, but for a 5+ inch travel bike, lightweight bolts and crap = failures. The only upside to the SL is the paint, that's it.
    beaver hunt

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    165
    Should I be worried as I got my SL last December? Anyone know the affected frames via serial #?

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    2,501
    Well I guess they have some production issues with the first few batch, Im sure Ibis will get this fix straight away, besides Ibis CS like one of the poster said is best to none.
    07 Giant Anthem 2 (Int'l Edition) | omartan.co.cc
    Im a MOJO Fanboy

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,140
    also the bonding of the seat sleeve
    What's a seat sleeve ?
    The only upside to the SL is the paint, that's it.
    Also uhm carbon, ~ 5% stiffer and carbon seat tube insert...but other than that, only 100 grams or less i think. (But that paint !)
    Those are the coolest looking clear carbons on the market.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •