mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Just got and Ibis Mojo SL and need a bit of advice.

Hi everyone, I just got my new Ibis Mojo SL and noticed the headset was a little loose. I loosened the stem and tightened the top cap but it was already tight and did nothing. So I removed the fork and and had a look, I removed the cartridge bearings and all the bits and reassembled. I noticed the lower bearing fitted flush but the top bearing was over the lip of the head tube and not flush and about 3 mil over. Is this as it should be as I have never owned an Ibis Mojo before so dont know. To stop the looseness I had to hit the compression ring down with the stem to wedge it in properly and then re tighten every thing back up.

I am concerned now that if there is a fault with the seating of the bearings due to it not sitting deep enough in the head tube that as I ride the bike there may develope some play and compromise the head tube resulting in failure.

I have never needed to force a compression ring down like this before and just tightening the top cap was sufficient to get rid of any play.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Thank you

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    To add I can also see the blue rubber seal in between the top cap dust cover and the top of the head tube.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    There was another thread like this a month or two ago. Can't recall what the fix was, but a quick search should uncover the mystery. Congrats on the new mojo!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    All sorted, great after sales service from the guys at Ibis, cant praise them enough. Head set was assembled wrongly at the LBS and sent out like that and was the cause of the problem, no fault with the frame at all. Thanks guys appreciate all the help.