Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I'm in exactly the same situation. Check out this thread: htthttp://forums.mtbr.com/ibis/feeli...76951.htmlp://

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Hi All,

Great thread!

I am just about to order a HD160 and am stuck deciding on size?

I test rode a L with 70mm stem and 750mm bars. On occasions I felt cramped, but on fast singletrack it felt better. Even gnarly downhill slab sections felt ok?

I am 6.0 and have a 35" inseam. The seatpost on the L was/looked ridiculously high!

I am coming off a lapierre zesty L with a 50m stem 25 degree rise and 710 bars, which was beginning to feel comfortable. The Lapierre TT was 615 vs the HD L at 604mm. The XL is 625mm?

At only 6.0 but with long legs can you visualise my position/reach. I.E tall seatpost but not needing to reach forward so far, hence the high/short stem.

Thanks for any feedback.

The next headache is the colour choices!

Cheers

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Shameless bump on my last post! I cannot post my own thread yet

I keep reading posts of people who are 6'/6'1 getting a large.

As I said above, I'm 6'0 but with long legs and a 35 inseam. The L demo ride just felt occasionally cramped with the 70mm stem it had.

Is my order of the XL the right one?

Any feedback really appreciated.

Thanks.

[put something cool here]
    Oct 2011
    Medrep - I ride an 160 HD in L with setback dropper post, 60 stem, 720 bar - and am precisely your size: 6'0 with 35.4 inseam (1.84m / 90cm in my numbers). I love my bike for sure.

That said, I demoed an XL some months earlier and was quite happy with it, too. There were some issues with wrong tires and too firm shock setup, which added to the overall feel, but it still felt great.

I finally chose the Large, because I wanted to have that extra agility - although that's more I read about than I feel about. My skills are ok, but I am not that super technical rider reaching the limits of the HD.

I still think of the XL from time to time. The longer wheel base gives you even more confidence on descents. And on the XL you will want to use a short stem as 40 or 50, especially with a wider bar like that 750. And that shorter stem again helps you in cornering a lot. Put your saddle as far to the front as you can, use a straight post without setback and you're fine. I'm sure you will love your XL!

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerberos View Post
    Medrep - I ride an 160 HD in L with setback dropper post, 60 stem, 720 bar - and am precisely your size: 6'0 with 35.4 inseam (1.84m / 90cm in my numbers). I love my bike for sure.

That said, I demoed an XL some months earlier and was quite happy with it, too. There were some issues with wrong tires and too firm shock setup, which added to the overall feel, but it still felt great.

I finally chose the Large, because I wanted to have that extra agility - although that's more I read about than I feel about. My skills are ok, but I am not that super technical rider reaching the limits of the HD.

I still think of the XL from time to time. The longer wheel base gives you even more confidence on descents. And on the XL you will want to use a short stem as 40 or 50, especially with a wider bar like that 750. And that shorter stem again helps you in cornering a lot. Put your saddle as far to the front as you can, use a straight post without setback and you're fine. I'm sure you will love your XL!
    Brilliant feedback, thank you!

It was on a long fast downhill fire road that the L felt like it was really sketchy underneath me, and, the occasional feeling of being cramped on certain sections of trail. There was a black run section where there were slab drop offs, berms, very steep drops, rock gardens etc and the L felt great?

I am now a fan of shorter stems so I think I will stick with the XL and maybe sacrifice the agility as you described.

I am not the best rider, but starting to become more adventurous hence the move to a HD160.

Thanks again for being a check and balance for my sanity!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    We are about the same height and I'm running an XL. I just switched out the stem for a 40mm and now the it feels perfect. The large had a cramped cockpit which I didn't like.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Great, thanks!

Its so difficult having not sat on an XL, but sitting on the L just does not feel 100% right, and that was with a 70mm stem.

Thanks for reply.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Medrep View Post
    Great, thanks!

Its so difficult having not sat on an XL, but sitting on the L just does not feel 100% right, and that was with a 70mm stem.

Thanks for reply.
    Yup same experience, sat on a large and it felt like a medium since ibis sizing tends to run small.
    Last edited by mbikerguy; 04-20-2012 at 07:45 PM.

mtbr member

Confused about "Smallness" of Ibis HD

I should preface all of this by saying the topic of this thread is interesting to me as a possible HD owner in the future, but I do not think anything larger than a Medium is for me.

I find it confusing that the Ibis is considered small for it's class. Is this a function of the larger sizes only? I have been eyeballing the HD for some time now and as I compare and consider alternatives I created a table (see below) to compare the geometry of my top choices. This seems to show that the Ibis is average to larger than others out there. My one complaint in the test rides I have done (Outerbike and several trips to bug the LBS with Ibis on their roster) was the taller stand over height. Am I missing something? The measurements that, in my experience, seem to have the greatest effect on fit are stand over and effective top tube length. I'm just one guy talking here, but the HD is tops in both of those categories. Perhaps stand over is less of a concern for those in the over 32" inseam set. I am 5'9", I run about a 31" inseam in pants (which I wear while riding so why not consider them?) so the almost 30" SOH on the HD is a bit nerve wracking (pun intended).

All measurements are for Medium frames. All measurements are imperial (where applicable) *=greatest value in category
    Carbine Tracer 2 Mojo HD Nomad Dixon
    Wheel Base 44 44.2 43.8 44 44.5*
    Top Tube 23 23 23.1* 22.8 23
    Seat Tube 17.5 17.5 17 17 18.1*
    Chain Stay 16.75 16.9 17.1* 17.4 16.8
    Head Tube 4.5 4.5 4 4.3 5.1*
    Head Angle 67 67 67 67 66.5
    Seat Angle 71.5 72 71 71.5 72.7*
    BB Height 13.5 14 13.8 14 14
    Stand over 28 28 29.8* 28.8 29.6
    weight 5.5 7.8* 6.5 6.25 6-ish

Any thoughts?

Sorry, the table sucks in production.
    Last edited by hrsjqb1; 05-01-2012 at 10:18 PM. Reason: Table formating

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    For the record, ended up with a XL which I picked up today. Details here: Mojo HD Picture & Build Thread

Thanks again or the help/feedback, XL was for sure the right call.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I have had an XL for over a year I'm 6'1' with a 32 inseam I rode a friends large I
    felt faster on trails I ride all the time thinking about trading for a large I feel my seat dropper never gets low enough

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Aviators View Post
    Hi,

Looking to move from a 2009 Giant Trance X2 to a mojo hd and believe a large would be perfect but after searching and seeing folks in this forum even down to 5'11" on a XL want to make sure I'm making the right decision.

I'm 6'2" with a relatively long torso (wear 32" inseam pants, yes I know this isn't true inseam but not sure what mine is). Style wise I come from a downhill/freeride/urban background though have slowed down (some). Still I wheelie and manual all sorts of trail features and wouldn't be okay on a bike that didn't feel playful and jump well.

That said the mojo will be as close to a 'do it all' as I can get so despite being on flats 80% of the time there are some longer XC days.

On my trance I'm on 711mm havoc bars and a 60mm stem and things feel good aside from the twitchier geometry.

What do you guys think on the mojo?

Thanks very much, looking forward to meeting some of the local Southern California (I usually ride at Aliso) Ibis members.
    That's coincidental. I also moved from a 2009 Giant Trance X2 to a Mojo HD! I'm 5'10" and after I worked out all the geometry etc I went with a Large. Definitely for you I'd go with an XL.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mbikerguy View Post
    We are about the same height and I'm running an XL. I just switched out the stem for a 40mm and now the it feels perfect. The large had a cramped cockpit which I didn't like.
    Agreed. If you're 6' or over I'd definitely go the XL with a shorter stem length (<50mm). Much better than going L with a longer stem.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Just an FYI -I got an 'L' as my replacement frame. I rode the XL and it felt fine but in the end I decided to go for what I was already familiar with and best suited to the terrain and trails I will be riding. I will experiment with a couple of different bar widths and stem lengths.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I'm 6'0.5" on a Large w/ 80 stem. I like being able to get my weight over the front wheel on long climbs. For descents... dropper seatpost to get my weight back towards the rear of the bike.

I certainly couldn't get a good feel for the XL. All preference though.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Just to update, I collected my new HD Friday and it is an XL with a 50mm 25 degree rise stem, 720mm bars. The fit is absolutely perfect!

I am so relieved, as the only experience I had was with aboard a demo on a L and 70mm stem with 750mm bars.

I found the Large size on my lapierre zesty with the above comonents felt ok, but I could never get my weight over the back easily. The ibis feels spot on!

Thanks for the advice! My first real maiden voyage is tomorrow!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2