mtbr member
    May 2009

is integrated headset that bad?

Since I got my Ibis and that was late 2009, I have replaced my headset 3 times already. The cane creek is3 if im not mistaken. Should I buy the expensive once or does chris king carry an integrated headset? What's your take on this guys?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    ->wrong info given here-<. If you are replacing it that much, have someone who know what to look for check it out.
    Last edited by the-one1; 02-14-2012 at 09:16 PM.

meh
    incorrect, the mojo uses an integrated, which is neither zero stack or a CK inset
    get a cane creek 110is, has better sealing than the is3 (mines going on 4 years), many people in wetter climates have had issues with the is3 if i recall correctly
    Last edited by clewttu; 02-14-2012 at 07:41 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    The IS-3 isn't really a bad headset, just the bearings are a little low quality.
    And since the lower bearing takes nearly 90% of the loading and is in the position
    to be most affected by mud and water flung up by the front tyre. You really only need
    to replace the lower bearing with a good stainless steel one or if you have money a
    ceramic one.

Have a look here for some examples.

HEADSET BEARINGS FROM REAL WORLD CYCLING

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I'll second the 110is. Going strong 4+ years. Swap top for bottom once in a while so the upper bearing gets a bit of abuse.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Another hint that I forgot is to use some waterproofing grease on the outside of the sealed bearing, just to give some extra protection.

I have had my IS-3 since 2007 in my Mojo-C. I replaced the original lower bearing that was rusted and notchy in late 2008 with an ss model and haven't touched it since then. I really can't understand how the bearing became so rusty since where I ride was having one of the worst droughts in recorded history and I'm very lazy about washing my bike.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by d3toid View Post
    The IS-3 isn't really a bad headset, just the bearings are a little low quality.
    And since the lower bearing takes nearly 90% of the loading and is in the position
    to be most affected by mud and water flung up by the front tyre. You really only need
    to replace the lower bearing with a good stainless steel one or if you have money a
    ceramic one.

Have a look here for some examples.

HEADSET BEARINGS FROM REAL WORLD CYCLING
    I know the bearings are really bad. anyway, thanks for the link I may have to purchase an extra bearing cuz I know the one that I have will break eventually. One question though both upper and lower bearings are the same I mean the dimensions?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

mojo c/sl headset

Yep, both bearings are the same in the is-3.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Same here, went with the CC 110is on my build.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I have the IS-3. It's about a year & a half old. Bottom was feeling notchy after Snake#2, so I pulled the seals, washed it out and greased it up. Right as rain. Clean it out now and then, keep fresh grease packed in, and it'll run a long time.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Can any of you guys give me some advice on finding the size of my current headset so i can get a new one?

mtbr member

Ibis Webstore

Quote Originally Posted by jimeepop View Post
    Can any of you guys give me some advice on finding the size of my current headset so i can get a new one?
    You can order one from the Ibis Webstore or at least see what you need.
    milesW