mtbr member
    May 2007

Installed the gnar-core

Hey guys,

I got my Ripley in May of 2013, so I didn't have the gnar-core or the cable dice on my bike for all of last year.

This week I decided to install the core, and re-cable the bike as I was dealing with some fraying cables. Taking the bike apart wasn't bad, but trying to get that rear swing arm back on was quite challenging. Only had to put one call into ibis, which as expected, they were very helpful.

Anyway, got everything put back together in time for a ride on saturday. I'm sure it's all in my head, but the rear of the bike did feel stiffer on the high speed turns! Other than that, not much of a difference. And the cable dice does really clean up the look of the bike, and I think its a much better solution over using a bunch of cable ties.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    That's good to know. My LBS put my cable dice on last week and we also discussed whether to install the gnar-core now or wait until we needed to check on the bearings in the eccentrics. How were the bearings in yours?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Everything looked fine. I even tried rotating the cores around a few times, seeing if I could feel if anything was off, (notches, etc.. even though I wasn't even really sure if that's possible or what), and everything seemed perfect.

The bike shop that built my bike had not crossed the FD and RD cables when they built the bike for me back in May of '13. When I got the cable dice, and looked through the Ripley manual, that's when I found that the cables were not crossed. I know, no big deal, but when you add the cable dice, it did make a difference being un-crossed vs crossed, and I was worried about the extra cable rubbing I was getting on the frame. (I do have protective tape installed). So being anal about details, I decided that when I serviced the shock, I would pull the bike completely apart, install the core, re-cable, and install the cable dice.

I've worked on road bikes before, but it was a neat feeling riding the Ripley after I had taken it all apart and built her back up. Felt more connected to the bike, maybe? Ha. Either way, if you have the tools (which for me was a stand, allen wrenches and a torque wrench, the later being a must) I did everything in about 5-6 hours... but it was my first time working on a bike like this, and I was really taking my time.

To clarify, I did not replace the bearings, only the lower core.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    We'll probably do much the same then--check the bearings to see if the wet west side of the PNW and the fact that I ride all year has gotten to those bearings at all. If they are good after one season in this muck, I'm prepared to say that Ibis did an outstanding job in designing the system to resist the elements.