Results 1 to 46 of 46
  1. #1
    Daniel the Dog
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    6,736

    Incredible bikes

    I took a ride on an Ibis Mojo and absolutely loved it!!!! It is very light and pedals like a cross country racer but smooths the trail like my old HL Turner--if not better. Plus, they are very nice looking bikes. I might have to consider a Mojo this coming year.

  2. #2
    T.W.O.
    Reputation: mimi1885's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8,158
    Welcome to the club
    Get the HD

  3. #3
    Dropshot Champ!
    Reputation: redmr2_man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    4,801
    I did a two+ hour loop and some dh on one this weekend and was...sorta impressed. I'm coming from an 08 ironhorse mkiii (dw link as well) and immediately noticed the acceleration in turns and off of hills, as well as the way plusher feeling. It was around 28-28.5lbs, but didn't climb well. I think it had kenda nevegals on the rear, so that's completely to blame. Horrible rear tires! I was surprised when it was weighed, since my 31 pound ironhorse climbed better.

    I also noticed and mentioned to the demo crew the horrid flex. You could actually SEE it when stopped and cranking down in any gear. Horrible! And you could feel it in the rough.

    Still leaps and bounds nicer than my ironhorse, and the plushness was buttery perfect (minus said flex) through the rough....but not 2000$ frame impressive at all. The flex killed it for me.

    09 silver demo with lopes link. I'm 190lbs w/o gear. I'm gunna blame the climbing on that rear tire, it's just a boat anchor. The flex...tisk. Really thought it was just e-rumors. But it was pretty bad..

  4. #4
    aka dan51
    Reputation: d-bug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    5,925
    Quote Originally Posted by redmr2_man
    The flex...tisk. Really thought it was just e-rumors. But it was pretty bad..
    What is the flex you see. Lots of people state there is flex, but I've never seen a good description of how the flex is being initiated. I'd love to see a video of it.

    The only flex I can ever see is if I grab the seatpost and top of the rear tire and push/pull the tire to the left and right. But I have to pull pretty hard.

    So you're stopped, have the bike in any gear, and push down with your right foot and have the brakes on? What do you see? If we ever meet (MBTB?) I'd love to see you test my bike out and see if the flex is there. Is it the frame flexing or the wheel? I'd really love to see what people are seeing with the flex.

    Maybe I just don't feel it. I know I'm in tune with my bike. If the tires have a few PSI too high/low I notice immediately.

  5. #5
    Dropshot Champ!
    Reputation: redmr2_man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    4,801
    yeah, stopped in any gear, unclip one foot and place it on the ground. With your other foot, push down on the cranks. Tilt head backward while holding brakes. Watch rear triangle move back and forth.

    Repeat until disappointed.

    My ironhorse does it too. This specific ibis was just a qr rear. Be interesting to toss a 10mm thru bolt on there and repeat this. This thing had some beefy wheels, so I wouldn't think it was the wheel build. If it were the rear wheel, wouldn't it be pretty obvious and the frame wouldn't move with it? Or am I wrong here?

    Only reason I discount the wheel is that I always use the same wheelset + thru bolt rear on my ironhorse, and when the bearings are new, it disappears. If it was the rear wheel, it'd be constant.

    It's not super drastic, and I didn't even think to test it this way until I felt the flex through the rock gardens and the rough. But sure enough, when I stopped and did the test, I saw it. I've gotta say I was pretty disappointed in that, hoping that everything I'd heard were e-rumors. I was so hoping it wasn't true man! Besides that and the kenda never-rolls, the bike was absolutely fantastic. If I can hop on one with a 10mm thru bolt rear and I don't notice flex, I'll start shopping for frames again.

  6. #6
    T.W.O.
    Reputation: mimi1885's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8,158

    That's a nice try.

    Quote Originally Posted by redmr2_man
    Still leaps and bounds nicer than my ironhorse, and the plushness was buttery perfect (minus said flex) through the rough....but not 2000$ frame impressive at all. The flex killed it for me.

    didn't climb well. I think it had kenda nevegals on the rear, so that's completely to blame. Horrible rear tires!

    .
    Sounded like a compliment but in fact it's an insult.

    WTH is ...Sorta impressed? like sorta of pregnant?

    BTW, the Nev of any size climb just fine for most people and myself. There are some people who like really fast rear tire hey it's ok too. If you only demo on the fireroad climb may be it explain the rant but I've riding on a 2.35 nev with no complains. I actually race with it. I passed a lot of rider on their skinny slick tires too, does that count. Bike companies must be so dumb to keep spec-ting the Nev on their bike of all size, actually it's the most spec tires on the higher end bikes. What were they thinking?

    What tire would you suggest on a 5.5" AM bike. Huchinson Python 2.0?

    +1 with Dan's comment on Flex. You said it was horrible!, most people may say noticeable flex or detect some, but if it was horrible please share with us, how and where do you feel the flex and how it effect your ride. To give a smack to the back of the head review like this in the Ibis forum you know people is going to ask to back it up.

    I own 2 Mojo but I'm far from bias because I also own 2 Intense 5.5, 2 Titus 4 Maverick designs and a bunch more. My go-to bike is ML8 not the Mojo but that's my personal preference not the bike, I said it before many times so I'm not bias.

    It seems like an urban legend, where someone genuine felt the flex post it up, then after that every time someone else demo the bike, a non-owner would always complain about flex, it's the way to make them feel better about sharing their knowledge, I guess. I may have experience flexing on my Ibis but probably irrelevant to what I was doing so I never noticed. May be you were so focus on finding flexes and that's what you do.

    Even your own admission said that it was not drastic and it's a good bike but do the test anyways. Your test? I'm pretty sure if you put 190lbs+gear on a crank tilt your head backward and grab a handful of brake just about any bikes would give too, not limit to a 6lb frame, especially when you repeat til disappointed. Sounded like you were out for blood.

    If you don't like the bike say you don't like the bike. Because your review was full of it. e-rumor is just that an e-rumor, because if you buy in to that crap, you'd believe it by any mean necessary. Genuine or not, only a few believe it flexy especially with Lopes link, sadly those are the ones people see posting on the web.

    Do you truly believe that Chuck Ibis would put out something so "Flexy" out on the market, and all the reviews it got early review people could not say enough about stiffness, not to mention the Mojo was bike of the year here on MTBR, and elsewhere as well. Then a few year later someone like Bri Lopes would endorse the product so he'd make bucks on a smaller company? Seriously? He believes in the product.

    WTF(a plug for Ibis), then it may be the wheel or the bolt or the tire or the combination of all of the above after you have concluded many times that it was a flexy rear end, yet you are going to be shopping for an Ibis? Spare the BS. Next time you see Chuck, Brian, Tom, Hans or Roxy tell them that and let us know. I'm interested in what they have to say

  7. #7
    aka dan51
    Reputation: d-bug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    5,925
    Quote Originally Posted by redmr2_man
    yeah, stopped in any gear, unclip one foot and place it on the ground. With your other foot, push down on the cranks. Tilt head backward while holding brakes. Watch rear triangle move back and forth.

    Repeat until disappointed.

    My ironhorse does it too. This specific ibis was just a qr rear. Be interesting to toss a 10mm thru bolt on there and repeat this. This thing had some beefy wheels, so I wouldn't think it was the wheel build. If it were the rear wheel, wouldn't it be pretty obvious and the frame wouldn't move with it? Or am I wrong here?

    Only reason I discount the wheel is that I always use the same wheelset + thru bolt rear on my ironhorse, and when the bearings are new, it disappears. If it was the rear wheel, it'd be constant.

    It's not super drastic, and I didn't even think to test it this way until I felt the flex through the rock gardens and the rough. But sure enough, when I stopped and did the test, I saw it. I've gotta say I was pretty disappointed in that, hoping that everything I'd heard were e-rumors. I was so hoping it wasn't true man! Besides that and the kenda never-rolls, the bike was absolutely fantastic. If I can hop on one with a 10mm thru bolt rear and I don't notice flex, I'll start shopping for frames again.
    I'll do that test this morning. At 200+ lbs it will be put to the test.
    I have the 10mm thru bolt, but will also try loosening it so the wheel is free and see what happens.
    If you're at MBTB A'del or Boggs you can take mine for a spin. Assuming it fits.

  8. #8
    flow where ever you go
    Reputation: noshortcuts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1,516
    Quote Originally Posted by dan51
    I'll do that test this morning. At 200+ lbs it will be put to the test.
    I have the 10mm thru bolt, but will also try loosening it so the wheel is free and see what happens.
    If you're at MBTB A'del or Boggs you can take mine for a spin. Assuming it fits.
    It makes no sense to me to loosen the bolt. It seems to test frame flex you don't want other stuff flexing? My mojo doesn't flex under this test - well the tire and wheel move a bit toward the triangle, but not the triangle toward the frame. I vote for urban legend.

    "I must not be crazy because I'm seriously questioning my sanity"

  9. #9
    aka dan51
    Reputation: d-bug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    5,925
    Quote Originally Posted by noshortcuts
    It makes no sense to me to loosen the bolt. It seems to test frame flex you don't want other stuff flexing? My mojo doesn't flex under this test - well the tire and wheel move a bit toward the triangle, but not the triangle toward the frame. I vote for urban legend.
    You're right. WTF was I thinking?
    I may try mounting my GoPro to the seat tube and pointing it down and riding around a bit to see what's going on.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: miles wadsworth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    575
    Quote Originally Posted by noshortcuts
    It makes no sense to me to loosen the bolt. It seems to test frame flex you don't want other stuff flexing? My mojo doesn't flex under this test - well the tire and wheel move a bit toward the triangle, but not the triangle toward the frame. I vote for urban legend.
    Mine does't flex under this test either, but the Santa Cruz Blur Carbon does. This was a
    side by side test.
    milesW

  11. #11
    T.W.O.
    Reputation: mimi1885's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8,158

    I just did the test

    I just did the test exactly as instructed on both my Ibis both with the old linkage. It moved but it was the sag on the shock that move, not the rear triangle. A lot of parts design to give a bit to absorb shocks. It does not mean things a flexy. I've never consider golfballs or baseball bat are flexy, have you seen Time warp?

    Oh BTW, I did, Repeat til satisfy.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: c-wal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    337
    The 10mm TA and a solid wheel build helps a lot; but the Mojo is not the stiffest bike out there.
    The places I notice the lack of stiffness are on off-camber trails, g-outs, and while railing through berms. I think it's just something you get used to..
    The HD did feel much stiffer - I heard the frame stiffness of the HD is 30% greater than the non-HD.

  13. #13
    aka dan51
    Reputation: d-bug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    5,925
    Here's the video.
    From what I can see there is flex when pedaling. I leaned the bike over a few times and put some weight on it, but it showed no signs of flexing then. Real world riding might be a different story. I have a place I can do some easy tests at.

    I'd like to see a comparable video of a "stiff" bike.

    <object width="640" height="424"><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="movie" value="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=11628113&amp;server=vimeo.co m&amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_port rait=0&amp;color=00ADEF&amp;fullscreen=1" /><embed src="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=11628113&amp;server=vimeo.co m&amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_port rait=0&amp;color=00ADEF&amp;fullscreen=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="640" height="424"></embed></object><p><a href="http://vimeo.com/11628113">Mojo flex?</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/user2957784">foodandbikes</a> on <a href="http://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>

  14. #14
    Dropshot Champ!
    Reputation: redmr2_man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    4,801
    yep that's the flex I'm talking about. A little more pronounced w/o thru bolt, but the same nonetheless. Looks like a thru bolt rear might quiet it down, which is good. Doesn't look like the wheel to me either.

    mimi1885, wtf man? I'm in the market for an ibis, I'm not making this **** up. Watch the video man! And that's WITH a thru bolt rear. Imagine it with a regular qr.

    But maybe Dan is in on it with me in our massive plot to destroy ibis sales and editted the video to show flex!

    And alot of people race with a nev 2.35...up front! If you're racing with that boat anchor in the rear, good for you.

  15. #15
    aka dan51
    Reputation: d-bug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    5,925
    Quote Originally Posted by redmr2_man
    But maybe Dan is in on it with me in our massive plot to destroy ibis sales and editted the video to show flex!
    For sure! My next plan to destroy Ibis is to get an HD and continue trying to convince my girlfriend she needs a Mojo. That will show 'em not to mess with me!

    I'll try and get the same video done on my steel hardtail and gf's 08 Stumpy.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    371
    15mm rear maxle option like some of the Niners have might go a long way in reducing that kind of flex, esp for heavier riders. I'm not heavy (175lbs atm) but I'd have sprung for that option if it were available.

  17. #17
    T.W.O.
    Reputation: mimi1885's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8,158

    Well

    Quote Originally Posted by redmr2_man
    yep that's the flex I'm talking about. A little more pronounced w/o thru bolt, but the same nonetheless. Looks like a thru bolt rear might quiet it down, which is good. Doesn't look like the wheel to me either.

    mimi1885, wtf man? I'm in the market for an ibis, I'm not making this **** up. Watch the video man! And that's WITH a thru bolt rear. Imagine it with a regular qr.

    But maybe Dan is in on it with me in our massive plot to destroy ibis sales and editted the video to show flex!

    And alot of people race with a nev 2.35...up front! If you're racing with that boat anchor in the rear, good for you.

    Good for you
    I don't see the flex I see the suspension moving tire conforming to the bump and road. As far as I'm concern, that's normal on a bike. At 2k+ it's a bargain for what you get with the 6lbs gorgeous looking frame. I'm just sad it does not make cappuccino.

    Some thing to be said about demoing the bike to, a few people has a "Hotel Mentality" You know how you throw towels all over the place, not like what you do t home. I know some who would just thrash the bike for no other good reason other than the fact that it's not their bike. It would of course feel "different' than what you ride at the home trail on their bikes

    All I know is this I was one of the first people to get the small frame because I waited 8-9months for them, BTW that's the time waited after I order the frame. It's about 2-2.5 years after the Interbike released. I have Mojo ti, mojo steel, mojo steel hand job, and Alibi. I was so happy that Ibis is back!

    During the time, there were no secret Ibis was hot. Everyone in the press rode it, love it. stiffest thing out there. Not til Lopes came out with the link, I remember Chuck comment that can you believe that Mojo is not stiff enough for Lopes. It was meant as a joke. Sometimes after that I started seeing people complaining about flex.

    Well, like I said if you believe in something even if you've never feel it before, you'd find the way to validate the claim. When you find movement doesn't matter if it's right or wrong you'd believe it to be true. It's a myth. It's only became a fact to a very few talent ones, that I believe. Someone like Lopes who can generate massive load, and torque to the bike, and very tune to his bike. How many people can ride like him. But sure enough, many make claims so they can sound like him.

    Making compliments on a popular bike's trades you end up looking like another face in the crowd. Making complaint about it all of the sudden, it makes you a player? tsk..tsk...tsk

    I've own many bikes and ridden almost a hundred(I'd like to thinks it's more, but lost count), I'm just a reg MOfo who loves bikes. If it interest me enough I'd but it so I know how I like it. Why not it's cheaper than therapy, and it definitely keep me sane. I'm getting me an HD, so I can have it as a Mojo 650b. That much I know I want. Of course, I want a small frame and have not place the order yet at this point it would be another 8-9months before I can get my hands on the frame. I know it would be worth the wait. Because I know Ibis is passionate about making their bikes, it shows the first time I ride it, and that passion is so contiguous!

    One other thing, the frames hold value quite well too. I'm selling the Moment same year as my Mojo and it's not holding it's value as well as Mojo.







  18. #18
    Dropshot Champ!
    Reputation: redmr2_man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    4,801
    lol wut?

    The suspension conforming to the bumps in the road by moving left and right? That's flex man, no matter how many pix of the huge amount of bikes you have...

    I'm not going off a myth or e-rumors man, I'm confirming what I noticed. And what that video shows.. I have a dwlink bike, does the same thing, so I'd say I'm able to make a pretty accurate comparison. And remember, dan51 has a thru bolt, the one I rode did not have that. I wouldn't care if it did it on parking lot test drives, but if I can feel it through the rough...I take notice.

    Now is this where I end my post with various pictures of bikes unrelated to this discussion?

  19. #19
    T.W.O.
    Reputation: mimi1885's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8,158

    You just make the point

    Quote Originally Posted by redmr2_man
    lol wut?

    The suspension conforming to the bumps in the road by moving left and right? That's flex man, no matter how many pix of the huge amount of bikes you have...

    I'm not going off a myth or e-rumors man, I'm confirming what I noticed. And what that video shows.. I have a dwlink bike, does the same thing, so I'd say I'm able to make a pretty accurate comparison. And remember, dan51 has a thru bolt, the one I rode did not have that. I wouldn't care if it did it on parking lot test drives, but if I can feel it through the rough...I take notice.

    Now is this where I end my post with various pictures of bikes unrelated to this discussion?

    If the flex you see bother you so much that you have to mention so many times on your post, don't buy Ibis. I don't care. I don't sell Ibis. But after all that rant, you said you are getting one? What planet are you from? Oh yeah it flexy piece of crap, horrible, I'm gettin me one

    I'm not an engineer, I don't know how this shite woks, I know how to ride my bike and what I like about it. I also don't have a habit of looking down on my rear triangle while riding so see or confirm if it flexes or not. If I can't feel it who cares. I'm no expert on bike materials and how it behave. If there's some issue so in your face as you describe,and if there's any more flexes than other bikes I've ridden, I'd probably know about it. If I ever up grade my links to Lopes link, it probably be because I like shinny things not to fix any issues.

    Well, the pic of the bikes was there just to entertain you.

    You've got balls, I'll give you that. Ranting this crap on an Ibis Forum.

  20. #20
    Dropshot Champ!
    Reputation: redmr2_man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    4,801
    lol oh my god man, not ranting! I was sharing my experience on an ibis mojo that I put through the paces. I like how you aren't giving me credit for all the pro's I listed about the bike, and solely focusing on the negatives. The bike is a fantastic bike, minus the flex. I really reallllly like my ironhorse, and this was a plusher nicer version of my ih. Mmm carbon!

    There have been ALOT of riders that either don't ever notice flex EVER EVER, or notice it sometimes, or notice it alot. Never is it consistent on this forum, and as a perspective buyer I had to check it out. Dan51's vid shows a little flex.

    I'm not an engineer either, but I do know that there aren't shocks for the left and the right, just the up and down. Do you have a shock on the side of your bike for the side to side? Maybe you should post up a pic of your house or your pet, that might give us the answer.

    I hope Dan51 hops in on this discussion or something because I kinda feel like I'm talking to a door with you man. I don't like talking to doors..

  21. #21
    aka dan51
    Reputation: d-bug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    5,925
    Quote Originally Posted by redmr2_man
    I hope Dan51 hops in on this discussion or something because I kinda feel like I'm talking to a door with you man. I don't like talking to doors..
    Close the door and walk away. Some things just aren't worth e-battling.

  22. #22
    Y no grease?ლ(ಠ益ಠლ
    Reputation: greasemeat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    770
    Holy cow it's going left to right with nearly every pedal stroke

    Yeah a hardtail would be interesting to see as the control now, who knows maybe all bikes do it when pushed hard like that
    Climbing ain't easy
    when you're fat and greasy
    - 2 Bigsteve

  23. #23
    T.W.O.
    Reputation: mimi1885's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8,158
    Quote Originally Posted by redmr2_man

    It was around 28-28.5lbs, but didn't climb well. I think it had kenda nevegals on the rear, so that's completely to blame. Horrible rear tires! I was surprised when it was weighed, since my 31 pound ironhorse climbed better.

    I also noticed and mentioned to the demo crew the horrid flex. You could actually SEE it when stopped and cranking down in any gear. Horrible! And you could feel it in the rough.

    .but not 2000$ frame impressive at all. The flex killed it for me.

    The flex...tisk. Really thought it was just e-rumors. But it was pretty bad..

    yeah, stopped in any gear, unclip one foot and place it on the ground. With your other foot, push down on the cranks. Tilt head backward while holding brakes. Watch rear triangle move back and forth.

    Repeat until disappointed.

    I didn't even think to test it this way until I felt the flex through the rock gardens and the rough. But sure enough, when I stopped and did the test, I saw it. I've gotta say I was pretty disappointed in that, hoping that everything I'd heard were e-rumors. I was so hoping it wasn't true man!

    The suspension conforming to the bumps in the road by moving left and right? That's flex man

    I'm not going off a myth or e-rumors man, I'm confirming what I noticed. And what that video shows...but if I can feel it through the rough...I take notice.


    Ok here it's SORTA positive things you said.


    I like how you aren't giving me credit for all the pro's I listed about the bike, and solely focusing on the negatives

    The bike is a fantastic bike, minus the flex.
    I really reallllly like my ironhorse, and this was a plusher nicer version of my ih

    sorta impressed. I'm coming from an 08 ironhorse mkiii (dw link as well) and immediately
    noticed the acceleration in turns and off of hills, as well as the way plusher feeling.

    I do apologize, I'm kinda slow sometimes. Exactly, what are you trying to accomplished with the experience, you kindly shared with us under the Thread that title " Incredible Bikes" in Ibis Forum?

    Sure you like the bike! Look at all of the great things you've mention. Not to mention, you've said many times on your earlier posts about how much you wanted one.

    If you have more rant, why not start your own thread and Title whatever you want. It just a cheap shot to come on this thread and piss on it like this. You are in NorCal why not schedule an appointment with one of the guys at Ibis and discuss what are they going to do about this "horrible flex". BTW, what did the demo crew said in response to your comment on the "Horrid Flex". Did you get one of this

    What's your goal on your post in this thread. The OP said he absolutely loved it. What an Incredible bike! and your thought was to what again? WTF is your contributions to the awesomeness of the bike rather than your negative put down. Again, I apologize, I'm so dense that I can't make the connection.

    If this thread titled "Horrid Flex Mojo" I may have my eureka moment. As you said" There have been ALOT of riders that either don't ever notice flex EVER EVER, or notice it sometimes". Throwing this on their face, what would that accomplished except to stir up crap. I don't get it. Sorry!

  24. #24
    Y no grease?ლ(ಠ益ಠლ
    Reputation: greasemeat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    770
    Dude mimi. Chillax. Go 4 a bike ride ffs
    Climbing ain't easy
    when you're fat and greasy
    - 2 Bigsteve

  25. #25
    Dropshot Champ!
    Reputation: redmr2_man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    4,801
    Quote Originally Posted by mimi1885
    I do apologize, I'm kinda slow sometimes. Exactly, what are you trying to accomplished with the experience, you kindly shared with us under the Thread that title " Incredible Bikes" in Ibis Forum?

    Sure you like the bike! Look at all of the great things you've mention. Not to mention, you've said many times on your earlier posts about how much you wanted one.

    If you have more rant, why not start your own thread and Title whatever you want. It just a cheap shot to come on this thread and piss on it like this. You are in NorCal why not schedule an appointment with one of the guys at Ibis and discuss what are they going to do about this "horrible flex". BTW, what did the demo crew said in response to your comment on the "Horrid Flex". Did you get one of this

    What's your goal on your post in this thread. The OP said he absolutely loved it. What an Incredible bike! and your thought was to what again? WTF is your contributions to the awesomeness of the bike rather than your negative put down. Again, I apologize, I'm so dense that I can't make the connection.

    If this thread titled "Horrid Flex Mojo" I may have my eureka moment. As you said" There have been ALOT of riders that either don't ever notice flex EVER EVER, or notice it sometimes". Throwing this on their face, what would that accomplished except to stir up crap. I don't get it. Sorry!
    It was to offer up a different view without starting a new thread. I too had hopped on a bike for a few hours like the OP, but had a different experience.

    The demo guys told me to buy an hd.

    I'm not stirring up crap. Dan, I, and a few others are having a discussion on flex. It's been discussed before and he was nice enough to grab a neat gopro angle of the rear tri. This isn't beat up and rant on ibis day, this is called a discussion. People with different experiences on the same bike(s) relaying info for a common good. I don't see how you don't get that?

  26. #26
    Dropshot Champ!
    Reputation: redmr2_man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    4,801
    Quote Originally Posted by dan51
    Close the door and walk away. Some things just aren't worth e-battling.
    screw that, I'm not letting this discussion die because of one guy! We're all better than that.

    If you could try and hit some rockgardens with that view on your cam the next time you're on the bike, it'd be interesting to see the results. You said you can't feel it anyways, so that's good to hear. I'll probably see you at MBTB at annadel, maybe at rockville as well. I'd like to make it to demo, guess we'll see.

  27. #27
    Y no grease?ლ(ಠ益ಠლ
    Reputation: greasemeat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    770
    Now I'm wondering about my own bike LOL

    Its got carbon seatstays too
    Climbing ain't easy
    when you're fat and greasy
    - 2 Bigsteve

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    14
    "Flex" in carbon is an interesting discussion. Carbon fiber isn't isotropic like aluminum or other alloys. It's orthotropic, which means the the direction of force will influence how the material behaves. Clearly, the large magnitude forces are in the vertical direction, and re-directed through the suspension geometry. The beauty of the carbon is that the fibers can be orientated to maximize "stiffness" for a particular direction, well beyond aluminum of the equivalent weight. This is especialy the case with compressive forces (think squish) as opposed to shear (think slice/bend). So, could a MoJo be built to "flex" less to lateral forces? Sure, it might look different and would probably compromise the design in other areas (weight, geometry, etc). It would be interesting to see where the extra weight on the Mojo HD was placed? Another point to consider: the "flex" is also influenced by the bearing surface areas, bearing tolerances, and other factors.

    In my opinion, no bike or design will meet everyone's needs as there are too many conflicting requirements (weight, stiffness, looks, cost, size, geometry, number of wheels!, etc). Clearly the popularity of the mojo would suggest Ibis found a nice balance of compromises.

    Mimi - I enjoyed the photos. I don't feel as guilty having only two bikes and searching for my third....

  29. #29
    Lurker
    Reputation: andlp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by mimi1885

    You've got balls, I'll give you that. Ranting this crap on an Ibis Forum.

    What redmr2_man said in this thread could hardly be considered ranting. But there is someone else in this thread that definitely fits the bill of ranting.

  30. #30
    T.W.O.
    Reputation: mimi1885's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8,158
    Hey, No problem. Good luck all.

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mojo28246's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    172

    I don't know if it's a problem

    I've not seen, or feel the flex on my SL, from what I see on the Vid it looks like it flex a bit, is it normal? That's some nice camera work, I always want to get one of the gopro, it's really handy.

    I ride a lot in OC and been ridin thru some rough stuff from time to time, if it happen then I probably would not know as I'm trying to get thru the rock garden. I flat land the bike a few times, but how would one know if it flex. It can be from 28psi tire or 30%sag or flow rims, too many factor to determine. I don't know if I want to know, it's going to keep me thinking about it. What can I do, can't get my money back.

    Mimi1885, like your collections. I see your point but I guess ultimately if people want to find out they would do it to find out. I do appreciate you defending Ibis, make me feel good about owning one. After all the effort, it's their decision to make if they want it or not. I don't know I think roch485 is right about Ibis find the balance of things. What can you expect from a 5 pound frame. Knock on wood, so far so good for me. I'm

    redmr2, I hope you find what you are looking for. I think your choice of word is a bit strong especially to Ibis owners, may be it flex but is it horrible? When I first read your review I got red too, because I don't know what you are talkin about. But I see your point, some people want the best for their money. If it's true there would be more angry people not just one.

    I'm with noshortcut I vote for urban legend. Ignorance is bliss. (talkin 'bout me of course)

  32. #32
    Unpredictable
    Reputation: Ridnparadise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,105
    This flex business gets me confused. Look at any slow-mo video of any racer; road, hardtail/XC MTB or DH and they all flex. So do cars and planes and everything you don't want to snap under force. Flex is not undesirable, but essential.

    My Mojo is in for a big service and rebuild. My LBS were kind enough to loan me a 2008 (I think) Stumpjumper with TALAS 32 and RP23. I have only had a few hours on it and would offer the following comparisons. It does not seem to move under me as much as the Ibis and pops (hops) a bit faster. I don't think the difference is the frame or linkages though. It rides like a shorter wheel-base bike although they are similar at rest. What I feel on the Ibis is more relative rearward rear wheel movement under compression and a more stable front end because of it. I really believe that it is active suspension that makes the difference. Not all DW bikes ride the same.

    On the Stumpy in a straight line, the rear end is just not active enough to cope with high speed compressions like roots and square edges, so it starts to pack down and get wobbly - not flexy. The ibis just flows through all that stuff. Best way I can compare the 2 is that the Mojo flows through stuff like a boat and the Stumpy fights through the rough stuff. Because of that the Stumpy feels more rigid, but I bet it isn't.

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,189
    This flex argument is so lame. As is the on about the strength of a carbon Mojo (or carbon in general). Just came off doing an Avalanche Enduro event (did the same one last year)
    All day I had guys coming up to 1) admire the bike and 2) to ask if I was worried about breaking it. They shut up when I told them this was my second event at AE forest on the same bike (2years old) . In many parts its a very rough course. Steep fast, baby heads sized rocks being thrown up. There were a number of broken bikes, Commencal, Specialized, Orange, Lapierre. No issues with mine at all. Not once did I feel any flex in my bike.
    I think its pretty straight forward, if you demo the Mojo and don't like some aspect of the ride, then buy something else, but don't sabotage a guys thread about how much he likes his.

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BitterDave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    428
    Thanks for the video Dan. I see similar flex (slightly more) with my Mojo (with a SL rear triangle).

    I'm one of the (few???) people who complains about the flex on the Mojo. I've complained about it before the one-piece upper link, and still complain about it (but less so) after the link. And I plan to continue to comment on the flex in hopes that Ibis will improve this in future revisions.

    The more I think about it, I would rather describe the Mojo as "jiggly" instead of flexy. As Roch pointed out earlier, carbon fiber is a complex material. If you look at a stress vs. strain plot of aluminum, it's linear until the yield point. I have a feeling that the plot of the carbon fiber layup used in the Mojo would result in a lot of initial strain/deflection before becoming linear. There would be initial "slack" in the carbon fibers until all the fibers come under tension. After this point the frame would begin to stiffen up.

    So perhaps those who believe that the Mojo is stiff is basing the comparison on when subjecting the frame to high forces (such as jumps), because it is stiffer than AL at these loads. And those who believe that the Mojo is flexy is making the comparison at lower levels of force.

    When I was comparing a two-piece upper linked Mojo to a Stumpjumper on bumpy trail, I felt so much flex in the Mojo that I had to get off several times to make sure everything was tight. However, I didn't seem to notice the flex as much when I start to "crank things up".

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,189
    This argument needs to be taken somewhere else

  36. #36
    Dropshot Champ!
    Reputation: redmr2_man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    4,801
    Do you not see the video?

    Again, we aren't making this up. Again, Dan has the thru bolt on his rear hub, and those with a qr rear show it more.

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,189
    Take this to another thread. Again, I am (and many others here) not interested in your opinion as to how flexy a Mojo is. There are way flexier frames out there as there are stiffer ones. Not for you (obviously) so buy something else and stop ruining a thread about how much a guy likes his

  38. #38
    aka dan51
    Reputation: d-bug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    5,925
    Quote Originally Posted by nzl62
    Take this to another thread. Again, I am (and many others here) not interested in your opinion as to how flexy a Mojo is. There are way flexier frames out there as there are stiffer ones. Not for you (obviously) so buy something else and stop ruining a thread about how much a guy likes his
    At this point it might be easiest to rename this thread and recreate his

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    42

    This horse is dead!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by redmr2_man
    Do you not see the video?

    Again, we aren't making this up. Again, Dan has the thru bolt on his rear hub, and those with a qr rear show it more.
    Stop beating it!!!

  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    897

    Mojo & MKIII ?

    I'm going to chime in here, I'm bored at work.

    In the beginning of the season I had to ride my wifes IH MKIII (Mojo not ready for riding due to winter maintenance) Took it out for the first ride of the season and I was totally blown away by the great ride. I was very surprised by the handling and majic carpet plushness, even for a $1500.00 bike not totaly set up for me.

    A week later took out my Mojo SL and I was on fire, WOW, I forgot how this thing slingshoots out of the corners, it was even better than I thought the IR was. My triathlon trained riding buddy was more than 5 minutes behind me on a 7 mile loop after starting out even.

    Then had to put the Mojo up due to the fact that I sold the forks and am waiting for new ones. Took out my wifes IH again and all of the excitement was gone, didn't enjoy riding at all.

    Morel of my story, nothing compares to the ride of an Mojo SL.

    David

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Davide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,590
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo
    I took a ride on an Ibis Mojo and absolutely loved it!!!! It is very light and pedals like a cross country racer but smooths the trail like my old HL Turner--if not better. Plus, they are very nice looking bikes. I might have to consider a Mojo this coming year.
    Wow! ... it took you four years but welcome to the club It is a fantastic bike,

  42. #42
    Dropshot Champ!
    Reputation: redmr2_man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    4,801
    Yeah the mojo was leaps and bounds better than my ironhorse. Something about carbon bikes man, they do slingshot outta corners! Makes you feel way faster!

  43. #43
    www.derbyrims.com
    Reputation: derby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,787

    Torque steer

    Quote Originally Posted by BitterDave
    Thanks for the video Dan. I see similar flex (slightly more) with my Mojo (with a SL rear triangle).

    I'm one of the (few???) people who complains about the flex on the Mojo. I've complained about it before the one-piece upper link, and still complain about it (but less so) after the link. And I plan to continue to comment on the flex in hopes that Ibis will improve this in future revisions.

    The more I think about it, I would rather describe the Mojo as "jiggly" instead of flexy. As Roch pointed out earlier, carbon fiber is a complex material. If you look at a stress vs. strain plot of aluminum, it's linear until the yield point. I have a feeling that the plot of the carbon fiber layup used in the Mojo would result in a lot of initial strain/deflection before becoming linear. There would be initial "slack" in the carbon fibers until all the fibers come under tension. After this point the frame would begin to stiffen up.

    So perhaps those who believe that the Mojo is stiff is basing the comparison on when subjecting the frame to high forces (such as jumps), because it is stiffer than AL at these loads. And those who believe that the Mojo is flexy is making the comparison at lower levels of force.

    When I was comparing a two-piece upper linked Mojo to a Stumpjumper on bumpy trail, I felt so much flex in the Mojo that I had to get off several times to make sure everything was tight. However, I didn't seem to notice the flex as much when I start to "crank things up".
    Bitter Dave pointed out this torque steer flex first that I remember. Dan's video certainly isolates the torque steer that occurs on any bike when hard pedaling, I'm sure there are bikes with less and other with more. I can see it on my Mojo too but less than the video shows, maybe my 10mm bolt-on Hadley hub makes a difference. I cannot feel it steer when pedaling even on pavement, maybe I compensate to much with my handelbars and other balancing reactions. Few other bikes accelerate as quickly, especially on rough and rocky trail, so the torque steer is clearly not an acceleration performance issue. Dan's camera is also distorting with a wide angle lens and exaggerates the amount on his bike.

    Rock garden deflection and hard cornering deflection are each very different input than chain torque input. I did notice a tighter deflection feel over rocks going from quick release to 10mm bolts. Wheel flex is a bigger factor.

    The "flexy" comments begs the question, what is the Mojo flex compared to? It's less than a Nomad, near the same as a new 5 Spot, but more than Pivot or Foes. All those are heavier frames. Compared to other near 5.5 lb frames including with air shock and about 5.5 inch travel, how does the Mojo compare? And then what are the tradeoffs? If any other very lightweight frames have less flex how does the suspension and handling perform in comparison with the Mojo's DWL?

    The Mojo HD version is the better bike for a big hit rider who can feel the flex while riding a standard Mojo. The HD is only 1/2 lb heavier but minimal in flex.

    BTW, to get back on track... Jaybo good to hear you liked the Mojo ride. I demo a lot of bikes when ever there's an opportunity, travel far out of state to do so too. And am always happier returning to my Mojo for all around trail riding with much climbing... until I sampled the HD!!!

  44. #44
    Daniel the Dog
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    6,736

    Wonderful bike

    Quote Originally Posted by derby
    Bitter Dave pointed out this torque steer flex first that I remember. Dan's video certainly isolates the torque steer that occurs on any bike when hard pedaling, I'm sure there are bikes with less and other with more. I can see it on my Mojo too but less than the video shows, maybe my 10mm bolt-on Hadley hub makes a difference. I cannot feel it steer when pedaling even on pavement, maybe I compensate to much with my handelbars and other balancing reactions. Few other bikes accelerate as quickly, especially on rough and rocky trail, so the torque steer is clearly not an acceleration performance issue. Dan's camera is also distorting with a wide angle lens and exaggerates the amount on his bike.

    Rock garden deflection and hard cornering deflection are each very different input than chain torque input. I did notice a tighter deflection feel over rocks going from quick release to 10mm bolts. Wheel flex is a bigger factor.

    The "flexy" comments begs the question, what is the Mojo flex compared to? It's less than a Nomad, near the same as a new 5 Spot, but more than Pivot or Foes. All those are heavier frames. Compared to other near 5.5 lb frames including with air shock and about 5.5 inch travel, how does the Mojo compare? And then what are the tradeoffs? If any other very lightweight frames have less flex how does the suspension and handling perform in comparison with the Mojo's DWL?

    The Mojo HD version is the better bike for a big hit rider who can feel the flex while riding a standard Mojo. The HD is only 1/2 lb heavier but minimal in flex.

    BTW, to get back on track... Jaybo good to hear you liked the Mojo ride. I demo a lot of bikes when ever there's an opportunity, travel far out of state to do so too. And am always happier returning to my Mojo for all around trail riding with much climbing... until I sampled the HD!!!
    A great pedaling bike that just floats over the trail I'm going to ride a DW Spot this weekend and will compare and contrast the bikes. I do know the Ibis is way better looking and way lighter but we shall see which one I like more. The Ibis HD is interesting but I'm not really a hardcore type anymore. I never felt any flex in the Mojo except for one very high speed turn--where I normally feel some rear flex on my HL Turner. No big deal for me.

  45. #45
    gnuH
    Reputation: kiwirider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,164
    Quote Originally Posted by mimi1885
    I own 2 Mojo....
    It's amazing the e-lengths people will go to in order to defend their purchase, and when someone owns 2 of said item - look out!

    Dan's video shows flex under pedalling for sure. Whether that flex is a big deal, and actually detracts (or some say adds) from the overall performance of the bike is the question.

    I didn't think my full carbon rear 575 was flexy until I got my DW Spot. The Spot corners & holds its line better and just feels tauter. At low speeds I'm now getting the tyre knobs 'pinging' off roots rather than deflecting away from them. But the more I ride my Spot the less I notice how stiff it is, and if I went back to the 575 I would probably now notice the flex. So what I'm trying to say is that you tend to get used to the bike you are riding, and unless a given characteristic really detracts from your ride, don't worry about it.

    As others have said, a frame with the weight of the Mojo is never going to be the stiffest, but it has so much more going for it that outweighs the flex issue.
    A green bird with a red body. We could look it up in a book. Or we could look up

  46. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,189
    Love my bike. You're right, it is an incredible machine
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •