Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Incredible bikes

I took a ride on an Ibis Mojo and absolutely loved it!!!! It is very light and pedals like a cross country racer but smooths the trail like my old HL Turner--if not better. Plus, they are very nice looking bikes. I might have to consider a Mojo this coming year.

T.W.O.
    Welcome to the club
    Get the HD

Dropshot Champ!
    I did a two+ hour loop and some dh on one this weekend and was...sorta impressed. I'm coming from an 08 ironhorse mkiii (dw link as well) and immediately noticed the acceleration in turns and off of hills, as well as the way plusher feeling. It was around 28-28.5lbs, but didn't climb well. I think it had kenda nevegals on the rear, so that's completely to blame. Horrible rear tires! I was surprised when it was weighed, since my 31 pound ironhorse climbed better.

I also noticed and mentioned to the demo crew the horrid flex. You could actually SEE it when stopped and cranking down in any gear. Horrible! And you could feel it in the rough.

Still leaps and bounds nicer than my ironhorse, and the plushness was buttery perfect (minus said flex) through the rough....but not 2000$ frame impressive at all. The flex killed it for me.

09 silver demo with lopes link. I'm 190lbs w/o gear. I'm gunna blame the climbing on that rear tire, it's just a boat anchor. The flex...tisk. Really thought it was just e-rumors. But it was pretty bad..

aka dan51
    Quote Originally Posted by redmr2_man
    The flex...tisk. Really thought it was just e-rumors. But it was pretty bad..
    What is the flex you see. Lots of people state there is flex, but I've never seen a good description of how the flex is being initiated. I'd love to see a video of it.

The only flex I can ever see is if I grab the seatpost and top of the rear tire and push/pull the tire to the left and right. But I have to pull pretty hard.

So you're stopped, have the bike in any gear, and push down with your right foot and have the brakes on? What do you see? If we ever meet (MBTB?) I'd love to see you test my bike out and see if the flex is there. Is it the frame flexing or the wheel? I'd really love to see what people are seeing with the flex.

Maybe I just don't feel it. I know I'm in tune with my bike. If the tires have a few PSI too high/low I notice immediately.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    ...People thought they were getting a good fork because it was a "fox".

Dropshot Champ!
    yeah, stopped in any gear, unclip one foot and place it on the ground. With your other foot, push down on the cranks. Tilt head backward while holding brakes. Watch rear triangle move back and forth.

Repeat until disappointed.

My ironhorse does it too. This specific ibis was just a qr rear. Be interesting to toss a 10mm thru bolt on there and repeat this. This thing had some beefy wheels, so I wouldn't think it was the wheel build. If it were the rear wheel, wouldn't it be pretty obvious and the frame wouldn't move with it? Or am I wrong here?

Only reason I discount the wheel is that I always use the same wheelset + thru bolt rear on my ironhorse, and when the bearings are new, it disappears. If it was the rear wheel, it'd be constant.

It's not super drastic, and I didn't even think to test it this way until I felt the flex through the rock gardens and the rough. But sure enough, when I stopped and did the test, I saw it. I've gotta say I was pretty disappointed in that, hoping that everything I'd heard were e-rumors. I was so hoping it wasn't true man! Besides that and the kenda never-rolls, the bike was absolutely fantastic. If I can hop on one with a 10mm thru bolt rear and I don't notice flex, I'll start shopping for frames again.

T.W.O.

That's a nice try.

Still leaps and bounds nicer than my ironhorse, and the plushness was buttery perfect (minus said flex) through the rough....but not 2000$ frame impressive at all. The flex killed it for me.

didn't climb well. I think it had kenda nevegals on the rear, so that's completely to blame. Horrible rear tires!

Sounded like a compliment but in fact it's an insult.

WTH is ...Sorta impressed? like sorta of pregnant?

BTW, the Nev of any size climb just fine for most people and myself. There are some people who like really fast rear tire hey it's ok too. If you only demo on the fireroad climb may be it explain the rant but I've riding on a 2.35 nev with no complains. I actually race with it. I passed a lot of rider on their skinny slick tires too, does that count. Bike companies must be so dumb to keep spec-ting the Nev on their bike of all size, actually it's the most spec tires on the higher end bikes. What were they thinking?

What tire would you suggest on a 5.5" AM bike. Huchinson Python 2.0?

+1 with Dan's comment on Flex. You said it was horrible!, most people may say noticeable flex or detect some, but if it was horrible please share with us, how and where do you feel the flex and how it effect your ride. To give a smack to the back of the head review like this in the Ibis forum you know people is going to ask to back it up.

I own 2 Mojo but I'm far from bias because I also own 2 Intense 5.5, 2 Titus 4 Maverick designs and a bunch more. My go-to bike is ML8 not the Mojo but that's my personal preference not the bike, I said it before many times so I'm not bias.

It seems like an urban legend, where someone genuine felt the flex post it up, then after that every time someone else demo the bike, a non-owner would always complain about flex, it's the way to make them feel better about sharing their knowledge, I guess. I may have experience flexing on my Ibis but probably irrelevant to what I was doing so I never noticed. May be you were so focus on finding flexes and that's what you do.

Even your own admission said that it was not drastic and it's a good bike but do the test anyways. Your test? I'm pretty sure if you put 190lbs+gear on a crank tilt your head backward and grab a handful of brake just about any bikes would give too, not limit to a 6lb frame, especially when you repeat til disappointed. Sounded like you were out for blood.

If you don't like the bike say you don't like the bike. Because your review was full of it. e-rumor is just that an e-rumor, because if you buy in to that crap, you'd believe it by any mean necessary. Genuine or not, only a few believe it flexy especially with Lopes link, sadly those are the ones people see posting on the web.

Do you truly believe that Chuck Ibis would put out something so "Flexy" out on the market, and all the reviews it got early review people could not say enough about stiffness, not to mention the Mojo was bike of the year here on MTBR, and elsewhere as well. Then a few year later someone like Bri Lopes would endorse the product so he'd make bucks on a smaller company? Seriously? He believes in the product.

WTF(a plug for Ibis), then it may be the wheel or the bolt or the tire or the combination of all of the above after you have concluded many times that it was a flexy rear end, yet you are going to be shopping for an Ibis? Spare the BS. Next time you see Chuck, Brian, Tom, Hans or Roxy tell them that and let us know. I'm interested in what they have to say

aka dan51
    yeah, stopped in any gear, unclip one foot and place it on the ground. With your other foot, push down on the cranks. Tilt head backward while holding brakes. Watch rear triangle move back and forth.

My ironhorse does it too. This specific ibis was just a qr rear. Be interesting to toss a 10mm thru bolt on there and repeat this. This thing had some beefy wheels, so I wouldn't think it was the wheel build. If it were the rear wheel, wouldn't it be pretty obvious and the frame wouldn't move with it? Or am I wrong here?

Only reason I discount the wheel is that I always use the same wheelset + thru bolt rear on my ironhorse, and when the bearings are new, it disappears. If it was the rear wheel, it'd be constant.

It's not super drastic, and I didn't even think to test it this way until I felt the flex through the rock gardens and the rough. But sure enough, when I stopped and did the test, I saw it. I've gotta say I was pretty disappointed in that, hoping that everything I'd heard were e-rumors. I was so hoping it wasn't true man! Besides that and the kenda never-rolls, the bike was absolutely fantastic. If I can hop on one with a 10mm thru bolt rear and I don't notice flex, I'll start shopping for frames again.
    I'll do that test this morning. At 200+ lbs it will be put to the test.
    I have the 10mm thru bolt, but will also try loosening it so the wheel is free and see what happens.
    If you're at MBTB A'del or Boggs you can take mine for a spin. Assuming it fits.

flow where ever you go
    Quote Originally Posted by dan51
    I'll do that test this morning. At 200+ lbs it will be put to the test.
    I have the 10mm thru bolt, but will also try loosening it so the wheel is free and see what happens.
    If you're at MBTB A'del or Boggs you can take mine for a spin. Assuming it fits.
    It makes no sense to me to loosen the bolt. It seems to test frame flex you don't want other stuff flexing? My mojo doesn't flex under this test - well the tire and wheel move a bit toward the triangle, but not the triangle toward the frame. I vote for urban legend.

"I must not be crazy because I'm seriously questioning my sanity"

aka dan51
    Quote Originally Posted by noshortcuts
    It makes no sense to me to loosen the bolt. It seems to test frame flex you don't want other stuff flexing? My mojo doesn't flex under this test - well the tire and wheel move a bit toward the triangle, but not the triangle toward the frame. I vote for urban legend.
    You're right. WTF was I thinking?
    I may try mounting my GoPro to the seat tube and pointing it down and riding around a bit to see what's going on.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by noshortcuts
    Mine does't flex under this test either, but the Santa Cruz Blur Carbon does. This was a
    side by side test.
    milesW

T.W.O.

I just did the test

I just did the test exactly as instructed on both my Ibis both with the old linkage. It moved but it was the sag on the shock that move, not the rear triangle. A lot of parts design to give a bit to absorb shocks. It does not mean things a flexy. I've never consider golfballs or baseball bat are flexy, have you seen Time warp?

Oh BTW, I did, Repeat til satisfy.

mtbr member
    The 10mm TA and a solid wheel build helps a lot; but the Mojo is not the stiffest bike out there.
    The places I notice the lack of stiffness are on off-camber trails, g-outs, and while railing through berms. I think it's just something you get used to..
    The HD did feel much stiffer - I heard the frame stiffness of the HD is 30% greater than the non-HD.

aka dan51
    Here's the video.
    From what I can see there is flex when pedaling. I leaned the bike over a few times and put some weight on it, but it showed no signs of flexing then. Real world riding might be a different story. I have a place I can do some easy tests at.

I'd like to see a comparable video of a "stiff" bike.

Mojo flex? from foodandbikes on Vimeo.

Dropshot Champ!
    yep that's the flex I'm talking about. A little more pronounced w/o thru bolt, but the same nonetheless. Looks like a thru bolt rear might quiet it down, which is good. Doesn't look like the wheel to me either.

mimi1885, wtf man? I'm in the market for an ibis, I'm not making this **** up. Watch the video man! And that's WITH a thru bolt rear. Imagine it with a regular qr.

But maybe Dan is in on it with me in our massive plot to destroy ibis sales and editted the video to show flex!

And alot of people race with a nev 2.35...up front! If you're racing with that boat anchor in the rear, good for you.

aka dan51
    But maybe Dan is in on it with me in our massive plot to destroy ibis sales and editted the video to show flex!
    For sure! My next plan to destroy Ibis is to get an HD and continue trying to convince my girlfriend she needs a Mojo. That will show 'em not to mess with me!

I'll try and get the same video done on my steel hardtail and gf's 08 Stumpy.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    15mm rear maxle option like some of the Niners have might go a long way in reducing that kind of flex, esp for heavier riders. I'm not heavy (175lbs atm) but I'd have sprung for that option if it were available.

T.W.O.

Well

yep that's the flex I'm talking about. A little more pronounced w/o thru bolt, but the same nonetheless. Looks like a thru bolt rear might quiet it down, which is good. Doesn't look like the wheel to me either.

mimi1885, wtf man? I'm in the market for an ibis, I'm not making this **** up. Watch the video man! And that's WITH a thru bolt rear. Imagine it with a regular qr.

And alot of people race with a nev 2.35...up front! If you're racing with that boat anchor in the rear, good for you.

Good for you
    I don't see the flex I see the suspension moving tire conforming to the bump and road. As far as I'm concern, that's normal on a bike. At 2k+ it's a bargain for what you get with the 6lbs gorgeous looking frame. I'm just sad it does not make cappuccino.

Some thing to be said about demoing the bike to, a few people has a "Hotel Mentality" You know how you throw towels all over the place, not like what you do t home. I know some who would just thrash the bike for no other good reason other than the fact that it's not their bike. It would of course feel "different' than what you ride at the home trail on their bikes

All I know is this I was one of the first people to get the small frame because I waited 8-9months for them, BTW that's the time waited after I order the frame. It's about 2-2.5 years after the Interbike released. I have Mojo ti, mojo steel, mojo steel hand job, and Alibi. I was so happy that Ibis is back!

During the time, there were no secret Ibis was hot. Everyone in the press rode it, love it. stiffest thing out there. Not til Lopes came out with the link, I remember Chuck comment that can you believe that Mojo is not stiff enough for Lopes. It was meant as a joke. Sometimes after that I started seeing people complaining about flex.

Well, like I said if you believe in something even if you've never feel it before, you'd find the way to validate the claim. When you find movement doesn't matter if it's right or wrong you'd believe it to be true. It's a myth. It's only became a fact to a very few talent ones, that I believe. Someone like Lopes who can generate massive load, and torque to the bike, and very tune to his bike. How many people can ride like him. But sure enough, many make claims so they can sound like him.

Making compliments on a popular bike's trades you end up looking like another face in the crowd. Making complaint about it all of the sudden, it makes you a player? tsk..tsk...tsk

I've own many bikes and ridden almost a hundred(I'd like to thinks it's more, but lost count), I'm just a reg MOfo who loves bikes. If it interest me enough I'd but it so I know how I like it. Why not it's cheaper than therapy, and it definitely keep me sane. I'm getting me an HD, so I can have it as a Mojo 650b. That much I know I want. Of course, I want a small frame and have not place the order yet at this point it would be another 8-9months before I can get my hands on the frame. I know it would be worth the wait. Because I know Ibis is passionate about making their bikes, it shows the first time I ride it, and that passion is so contiguous!

One other thing, the frames hold value quite well too. I'm selling the Moment same year as my Mojo and it's not holding it's value as well as Mojo.

Dropshot Champ!
    lol wut?

The suspension conforming to the bumps in the road by moving left and right? That's flex man, no matter how many pix of the huge amount of bikes you have...

I'm not going off a myth or e-rumors man, I'm confirming what I noticed. And what that video shows.. I have a dwlink bike, does the same thing, so I'd say I'm able to make a pretty accurate comparison. And remember, dan51 has a thru bolt, the one I rode did not have that. I wouldn't care if it did it on parking lot test drives, but if I can feel it through the rough...I take notice.

Now is this where I end my post with various pictures of bikes unrelated to this discussion?

T.W.O.

You just make the point

lol wut?

The suspension conforming to the bumps in the road by moving left and right? That's flex man, no matter how many pix of the huge amount of bikes you have...

I'm not going off a myth or e-rumors man, I'm confirming what I noticed. And what that video shows.. I have a dwlink bike, does the same thing, so I'd say I'm able to make a pretty accurate comparison. And remember, dan51 has a thru bolt, the one I rode did not have that. I wouldn't care if it did it on parking lot test drives, but if I can feel it through the rough...I take notice.

Now is this where I end my post with various pictures of bikes unrelated to this discussion?

If the flex you see bother you so much that you have to mention so many times on your post, don't buy Ibis. I don't care. I don't sell Ibis. But after all that rant, you said you are getting one? What planet are you from? Oh yeah it flexy piece of crap, horrible, I'm gettin me one

I'm not an engineer, I don't know how this shite woks, I know how to ride my bike and what I like about it. I also don't have a habit of looking down on my rear triangle while riding so see or confirm if it flexes or not. If I can't feel it who cares. I'm no expert on bike materials and how it behave. If there's some issue so in your face as you describe,and if there's any more flexes than other bikes I've ridden, I'd probably know about it. If I ever up grade my links to Lopes link, it probably be because I like shinny things not to fix any issues.

Well, the pic of the bikes was there just to entertain you.

You've got balls, I'll give you that. Ranting this crap on an Ibis Forum.

Dropshot Champ!
    lol oh my god man, not ranting! I was sharing my experience on an ibis mojo that I put through the paces. I like how you aren't giving me credit for all the pro's I listed about the bike, and solely focusing on the negatives. The bike is a fantastic bike, minus the flex. I really reallllly like my ironhorse, and this was a plusher nicer version of my ih. Mmm carbon!

There have been ALOT of riders that either don't ever notice flex EVER EVER, or notice it sometimes, or notice it alot. Never is it consistent on this forum, and as a perspective buyer I had to check it out. Dan51's vid shows a little flex.

I'm not an engineer either, but I do know that there aren't shocks for the left and the right, just the up and down. Do you have a shock on the side of your bike for the side to side? Maybe you should post up a pic of your house or your pet, that might give us the answer.

I hope Dan51 hops in on this discussion or something because I kinda feel like I'm talking to a door with you man. I don't like talking to doors..

aka dan51
    I hope Dan51 hops in on this discussion or something because I kinda feel like I'm talking to a door with you man. I don't like talking to doors..
    Close the door and walk away. Some things just aren't worth e-battling.

Y no grease?ლ(ಠ益ಠლ
    Holy cow it's going left to right with nearly every pedal stroke

Yeah a hardtail would be interesting to see as the control now, who knows maybe all bikes do it when pushed hard like that
    Climbing ain't easy
    when you're fat and greasy
    - 2 Bigsteve

T.W.O.

It was around 28-28.5lbs, but didn't climb well. I think it had kenda nevegals on the rear, so that's completely to blame. Horrible rear tires! I was surprised when it was weighed, since my 31 pound ironhorse climbed better.

I also noticed and mentioned to the demo crew the horrid flex. You could actually SEE it when stopped and cranking down in any gear. Horrible! And you could feel it in the rough.

.but not 2000$ frame impressive at all. The flex killed it for me.

The flex...tisk. Really thought it was just e-rumors. But it was pretty bad..

I didn't even think to test it this way until I felt the flex through the rock gardens and the rough. But sure enough, when I stopped and did the test, I saw it. I've gotta say I was pretty disappointed in that, hoping that everything I'd heard were e-rumors. I was so hoping it wasn't true man!

The suspension conforming to the bumps in the road by moving left and right? That's flex man

I'm not going off a myth or e-rumors man, I'm confirming what I noticed. And what that video shows...but if I can feel it through the rough...I take notice.

Ok here it's SORTA positive things you said.

I like how you aren't giving me credit for all the pro's I listed about the bike, and solely focusing on the negatives

The bike is a fantastic bike, minus the flex.
    I really reallllly like my ironhorse, and this was a plusher nicer version of my ih

sorta impressed. I'm coming from an 08 ironhorse mkiii (dw link as well) and immediately
    noticed the acceleration in turns and off of hills, as well as the way plusher feeling.

I do apologize, I'm kinda slow sometimes. Exactly, what are you trying to accomplished with the experience, you kindly shared with us under the Thread that title " Incredible Bikes" in Ibis Forum?

Sure you like the bike! Look at all of the great things you've mention. Not to mention, you've said many times on your earlier posts about how much you wanted one.

If you have more rant, why not start your own thread and Title whatever you want. It just a cheap shot to come on this thread and piss on it like this. You are in NorCal why not schedule an appointment with one of the guys at Ibis and discuss what are they going to do about this "horrible flex". BTW, what did the demo crew said in response to your comment on the "Horrid Flex". Did you get one of this

What's your goal on your post in this thread. The OP said he absolutely loved it. What an Incredible bike! and your thought was to what again? WTF is your contributions to the awesomeness of the bike rather than your negative put down. Again, I apologize, I'm so dense that I can't make the connection.

If this thread titled "Horrid Flex Mojo" I may have my eureka moment. As you said" There have been ALOT of riders that either don't ever notice flex EVER EVER, or notice it sometimes". Throwing this on their face, what would that accomplished except to stir up crap. I don't get it. Sorry!

Y no grease?ლ(ಠ益ಠლ
    Dude mimi. Chillax. Go 4 a bike ride ffs
    Climbing ain't easy
    when you're fat and greasy
    - 2 Bigsteve

Dropshot Champ!
    Quote Originally Posted by mimi1885
    I do apologize, I'm kinda slow sometimes. Exactly, what are you trying to accomplished with the experience, you kindly shared with us under the Thread that title " Incredible Bikes" in Ibis Forum?

Sure you like the bike! Look at all of the great things you've mention. Not to mention, you've said many times on your earlier posts about how much you wanted one.

If you have more rant, why not start your own thread and Title whatever you want. It just a cheap shot to come on this thread and piss on it like this. You are in NorCal why not schedule an appointment with one of the guys at Ibis and discuss what are they going to do about this "horrible flex". BTW, what did the demo crew said in response to your comment on the "Horrid Flex". Did you get one of this

What's your goal on your post in this thread. The OP said he absolutely loved it. What an Incredible bike! and your thought was to what again? WTF is your contributions to the awesomeness of the bike rather than your negative put down. Again, I apologize, I'm so dense that I can't make the connection.

If this thread titled "Horrid Flex Mojo" I may have my eureka moment. As you said" There have been ALOT of riders that either don't ever notice flex EVER EVER, or notice it sometimes". Throwing this on their face, what would that accomplished except to stir up crap. I don't get it. Sorry!
    It was to offer up a different view without starting a new thread. I too had hopped on a bike for a few hours like the OP, but had a different experience.

The demo guys told me to buy an hd.

I'm not stirring up crap. Dan, I, and a few others are having a discussion on flex. It's been discussed before and he was nice enough to grab a neat gopro angle of the rear tri. This isn't beat up and rant on ibis day, this is called a discussion. People with different experiences on the same bike(s) relaying info for a common good. I don't see how you don't get that?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast