mtbr member
    Apr 2007

New question here. Improving rear end stiffness - RWS skewer?

Has anyone tried the DT Swiss RWS skewers with a view to improving the rear end stiffness of the Mojo?

Any other recommendations? I've got a Lopes link, and I think a small amount of improvement was noticed with that upgrade.

Stucco Bucket
    what tires do you run and how much pressure?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Maxxis Crossmark 2.1 LUST on the rear, at around 28psi (tubeless).

Previously I had Maxxis Larsen 2.0 (folding bead, non-UST), but running as tubeless...and yes there was squirming when my tyre pressure got low. However the stiffer sidewall of the UST tyre does make a difference. I realise of course that there may be flex in my wheel anyway.

Having said that, I'm not saying that I am noticing any significant flex @ my 160lbs weight (there might be some, I just haven't ridden anything else to compare with for years), I was just wondering if there any relatively cheap improvements that could be made.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I am 190lbs. and on my second MOJO. I never noticed any flex in the rear - seems to be a bit of an 'urban legend' in my opinion. My 2007 MOJO was great, I wanted a change after 3 great years and wouldn't even think about something other then another MOJO.

aka dan51
    I have the 10mm RWS on my Mojo. It's always been on there so I can't say it will improve things for the Mojo. When I originally got the RWS it was for an 08 Stumpy. I converted my Hope Pro2 hubs from QR to 10mm TA and threw in the RWS. I noticed no changes at all. I do prefer the RWS just because it's beefier than a QR and I can get the RWS to tighten down much easier that having to force a QR lever over.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    ...People thought they were getting a good fork because it was a "fox".

www.derbyrims.com
    Yes the DT Swiss RWS should give subtly more rear wheel to surface feedback. They can be tightened up firmer than any cam type flip open quick release. Not as much as the difference going to Lopes Link.

mtbr member
    I've been told by an engineer that using the RWS actually puts stress on the frame rather than on the axle, or something like that. That it redirects the stress to other points rather than the axle compared to a cam style qr. Second hand info but interesting none the less

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    What wheels are you running? I remember an incredible difference with a mk 1 Intense Tracer some time back. I was weight fixated so I built up a mavic 317 on Hope XC wheelset. Critically I used DT revolution spokes. The bike sucked. I then changed to Crossmax XLs which I have run ever since and never been especially bothered with rear flex on any frame since. On the whole, light wheels are flexy

Proud bike-o-holic
    Hi,

Does the Mojo´s have a stiffness problem or what are you trying to accomplish here?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Cool-blue Rhythm

No there's no specific issue I'm trying to fix.

It's quite simply that a friend of mine was advised that this type of QR skewer could reduce the flex (& and subsequent frame cracking) that he was getting with an Ironhorse MKIII.

As such I wondered if there'd be any difference for the rest of us.

Someone asked what wheels I was running...they are a hand built set from TWE (Two Wheel Enterprises).

mtbr member
    I'm running a Hadley 10mm bolt on axle with an I9 hub. After switching to the 10mm the rear end felt more "solid"; however, I have no way to measure the delta in stiffness of the 10mm vs. the QR other than by SOP.

mtbr member
    I've got a new wheelset coming for my Mojo at the moment. I ordered the new wheels with the RWS thru bolts and it will be interesting to see if the RWS system makes any difference in stiffness. I don't have any problems with the stiffness of the rear of the Mojo but I'm wishing for more stiffness on the front.
    Pertti
    Lahti, Finland
    MC Kramppi

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    The RWS 10mm make quite a noticeable difference on my horst-link rear triangle. It makes negotiating tight switchbacks a breeze. A friend installed it on his Pivot Mach 5 and
    said he could feel only a very slight difference in handling.