mtbr member
    Jun 2008

I'm torn! Any thoughts before I loose my mind:)

So, I have been eyeing the Ripley from the moment they announced it, but now that's its here, another bike got released that made everything much even harder for me to decide. I am a fan of Ibis... I owned the 1st gen mojo and now the HD. I would not even look or consider another brand until a friend posted the Santa Cruz Bronson I'm going to have to demo both bikes and see which one will be my pick. Any thoughts?

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    A friend of mine has a hard on for the Bronson as well, but that's only because he worships santa cruz. It's an unhealthy obsession really. If you're looking for more of an XC machine, i'd go with the ripley. But if you have an HD already, i'd say save your money. Don't bother with the Bronson, and just sink the extra money into parts for the HD. I couldn't see that bike performing that much better than the HD that would warrant spending that kind of money on one.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by capthowdy View Post
    A friend of mine has a hard on for the Bronson as well, but that's only because he worships santa cruz. It's an unhealthy obsession really. If you're looking for more of an XC machine, i'd go with the ripley. But if you have an HD already, i'd say save your money. Don't bother with the Bronson, and just sink the extra money into parts for the HD. I couldn't see that bike performing that much better than the HD that would warrant spending that kind of money on one.
    Ima hafta agree with this. except id love to have a ripley and a HD

mtbr member
    I think the HD is much better than the Bronson due to the fact that they are still using VPP. That alone (at least for me) takes many bikes including all SC models out of the equation automatically. I can see going to a 29er, but I cant see someone going to a VPP 27.5 when you already have the best 26 inch on the planet. Again this is my personal opinion.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    The Bronson looks like an awesome bike...but if you already have the HD then i wouldn't bother.

I too am looking at another bike to have along with my HD and have gone through a wish list. Came to a conclusion, that if I'm keeping the HD then this second bike better be more XC. So now I'm down to the Niner Jet 9 RDO or the Ripley...to be honest I'm leaning towards the Niner because it's more XC than the Ripley.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I demo'd multiple Santa Cruz bikes and never liked them. The seemed to do everything well, but they didn't feel right to me.

I rode the HD and bought one about a month later.

It's the axle
    The Bronson has a shorter chainstay by 0.2". The head tube angle is 67 degrees. Whereas the Ripley ht angle is 70. I don't think you can even get an angle set to make up that difference.

Ripley.
    Note to self: 85% of FTP for 20 min.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    With a Fox 34 140mm, the head angle is 68.5 on the Ripley. You could get it down to 67 degrees with an angleset if you so desired.

P.S. My Ripley comes in on Thursday

It's the axle
    That's right. I wasn't thinking of the 140 forks. But that's because it's a XC bike. The two bikes are very different. One has 6 inches of travel, and a bottom bracket height of a Willys jeep.
    Note to self: 85% of FTP for 20 min.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I agree wholeheartedly, I was just putting the info out there.

Mtb Guide
    Id have to go with Yody on this one, if you already have an HD and have a bug for a new bike, then look at building a Ripley, but not to replace your HD, I doubt anyone here can ride like Brian Lopes or CCrawford!

The HD is such a versatile bike, I think you"d regret it in the long run. Its such a great frame design with great angles, not much on the market comes close.

If you feel left behind its not the frame fault either, personally I ride bikes not wheel sizes, but Santa Cruz have just released the Solo, a 27.5" version of the famous TRc, interesting, great vid of Peaty too!

I personally don't have anything bad to say about VPP, love my V10c, though an Ibis DH bike would be a dream.

That would also be a great compliment to the HD.

Over 150mm travel I still prefer 26" just remember the HD can be one lf the best lightweight long travel AM/Enduro bike or even a mini DH bike, not many if any can achieve this and do it well, Ibis basically have this market segment or at-least do it better than anyone else!