mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Im on pins and needles to read some DB Inline on Ripley reviews.

That is all.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I just got my frame with the DBinlie. It feels amazing but I've never ridden a Ripley with a different shock so not able to give a comparison. I've played with the settings quite a bit and the amount of adjust ability is phenomenal. It does takes some patients getting it dialed in. The factory default settings felt good but I've got it glued to the ground now with a bit more rebound and less compression. You can make it feel anyway you'd like. I'll prob never ride a Fox again.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Here's a pic

Im on pins and needles to read some DB Inline on Ripley reviews.-20140807_133207.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Thanks for the reply! When you say "more rebound and less compression", do you mean slower rebound and softer compression? Also are you refering to the high speed or low speed?
    Thanks! I get mine tomorrow!!!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I get mine on Thursday!

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Yeah, I'm not sure how they can prescribe a rebound setting without knowing the air chamber psi. I weigh 190 lbs so I had to increase the low speed and high speed rebound. I also prefer the suspension to be very compliant to small bumps so I I also reduced to low speed compression. I did increase the high speed compression to ramp up towards the end of the stroke.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I had my first proper ride today with the DB Inline on my Ripley, replacing the stock FOX CTD. Massive difference - the bike now rides like I always thought it should.

I played around quite a bit with the settings and ended up with very little high speed compression damping and a lot of high speed rebound; and very little low speed compression damping or rebound. The bike now rides smoothly over small bumps, trail buzz and chatter, and is totally controlled on the big stuff. This is something I could never achieve with the single barrel shock: to get it smooth on the small bumps I would need low air pressure and fast rebound, which meant it blew through the travel on the bigger hits then nearly bucked me in the weeds. The DB Inline really has fixed all of that. I'm a sceptic about bike tech, but in this case am genuinely impressed. Could turn out to be the best biking investment yet.

The only downside is that it's showing up the shortcomings of my 140mm Pike - which is saying a lot.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    again, when you say very little low speed rebound, does that mean its set on the fast end?

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by getupgetdown View Post
    again, when you say very little low speed rebound, does that mean its set on the fast end?
    Generally speaking, less rebound means less damping, or even less clicks/turns of the knob. Same with compression. Less compression means less compression damping, or less clicks/turns of the adjusting knob. I like to think of it the same way I think of volume on a car stereo. More volume means "Turn it up, Man!"

At least that's the way my friends and I use those terms when discussing suspension.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

This is true in use but also confusing for technical people. More rebound, in an absolute sense, means faster rebound. But people say this when they mean to say more rebound damping, which is a reduction of the rebound rate.

That is, in this use, damping is essentially equivalent to not, and for some reason it is accepted that to say A means not(A) and this will always seem wrong to many including me. When people ask about this they are usually trying to politely make this point. I believe it is correct and avoids confusion to include the word damping when indicating the damping rate.
    80 Mongoose, Z-rims
    84 GT, Araya 7x, Uni Seat, Potts Mod, Holeshot
    92 Rockhopper
    98 Stumpy M2, Z2 BAM
    12 SL-R
    14 Ripley

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by getupgetdown View Post
    Yeah, I mean little damping, so a faster response to small bumps.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    ca_rider, you and Getup are technically correct, but the slang/jargon has taken over so much we just have to ignore logic and go with the current slang if we want to be understood by the majority.
    It's like driving in a car and someone says, "I take the next left, Right?"
    and we answer,"Right." even though it's correct to turn left.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by championp View Post
    ca_rider, you and Getup are technically correct, but the slang/jargon has taken over so much we just have to ignore logic and go with the current slang if we want to be understood by the majority.
    It's like driving in a car and someone says, "I take the next left, Right?"
    and we answer,"Right." even though it's correct to turn left.
    I think you're right, especially among people more focused on bikes than tech (not me, but I bike too). I did a quick google search seeking to clarify the vernacular among bike engineers and only checked this article which is interesting and cites one of the senior Fox shock engineers:

To The Point - Rebound Damping - Pinkbike

His statement "Also, conveniently, heavier riders will require more
    rebound damping, which also results in more compression damping" is technically specific and correct and seems to indicate that the usage is not consistent within the biking field since his usage diverges from the apparent rider usage. As indicated by championp, the language inversion among riders must be based on the limited typographical space on adjustment screws that don't include the word 'damping' vs. what the adjustments actually do in a functional sense.
    80 Mongoose, Z-rims
    92 Rockhopper
    98 Stumpy M2, Z2 BAM
    12 SL-R
    14 Ripley

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Switched the Monarch with an Inline before the weekend and raced the last race in the national series with it. Just pumped it up to my pressure and jused the base settings. Worked really nice. A bit more active with this than the Monarch and that's maybe one thing I've missed a little. Not so good uphill though because the Monarch has a complete lock out. So I guess I'll miss that a bit, but I hope it'll be worth it for the downhills Im on pins and needles to read some DB Inline on Ripley reviews.-ripley.jpg

mtbr member
    Put my DBinline on last week and railed a pretty hard 12 miles with it. Bikeco set me up with an XC tune and an endure/am racing tune. It came with the enduro tune which seemed to be very plush (almost too plush for trail riding) so I set it up for the xc tune in the parking lot. took me a good 30 minutes of playing around with everything to get it right and then off we went. I actually prefer a more firm pedaling platform when riding xc but still want those little bumps taken away and I have to say it really is worlds better than the fox ctd. I am really not surprised by that as every shock I've ever tried has felt better than my fox rp-23's etc.. with the DW link... Anyhoo it allowed a lot better traction through corners over roots etc.. and overall the tire felt more planted to the ground than ever before. It also acted really well over small bumps and you could easily manual the bike over object vs before. I tried the climb switch and didn't notice a huge difference when turning it on, but it was only one ride. This weekend I will be switching it back to the enduro tune and racing at an enduro race in VT.. hopefully it does the trick..
    Full time rider part time racer...

See my adventures here..

https://www.instagram.com/projectnortheast/

mtbr member

Does someone care to share their setups for XC and AM/Enduro?

Simenf

Brainwashed by the big wheel mafia

mtbr member

Re: Im on pins and needles to read some DB Inline on Ripley reviews.

Here is what Bikeco set me up with. I am 155lbs so the settings may vary but im happy with both. Enduro tune is awesome.. got 3rd at a local enduro race last weekend with it. Only thing is I think i need to add a littke HSC cuz it seemed to bottom a little too easy but was never harsh. It always felt bottomless but I was clearly using all the travel...
    Full time rider part time racer...

See my adventures here..

https://www.instagram.com/projectnortheast/

mtbr member

Thanks!

Simenf

Brainwashed by the big wheel mafia

mtbr member
    In the build thread I see all the Inlines mounted upside down.....it fits with the lever and adjusters on top, doesn't? Is there a problem I dont see?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by scottay View Post
    In the build thread I see all the Inlines mounted upside down.....it fits with the lever and adjusters on top, doesn't? Is there a problem I dont see?
    It might fit oriented with the lever on the top side with no cables nor cable dice, but wouldn't it be a lot slower or more difficult to try to flip the lever if it was buried between the shock and frame? The cable dice is pretty biased against trying to mount it 'rightside up' if you route through that area.
    80 Mongoose, Z-rims
    92 Rockhopper
    98 Stumpy M2, Z2 BAM
    12 SL-R
    14 Ripley