mtbr member
    Mar 2005

I'm a believer--Converted Ibis Wheelset to Tubeless

I'd been toying with the idea of trying to convert my Mojo C Ibis branded wheelset to tubeless for the last year or so. Just to be clear--this is the wheelset with Joytech hubs and Alex SX44 rims.

I read up on various conversions and decided to try a blended approach. I used Gorilla tape to seal the rim, Stans valve stems (b/c the shop had some on the shelf), Stans sealant (didn't want to hassle with homemade for my first conversion) and Specialized 2Bliss Tires. I set up a 2.3 Ground Control on front and 2.2 Fast Trak on the rear.

Having never done this, I wasn't sure how easy it would be to get the bead to seat, but with my compressor they beaded up quickly. I had to re-seat one tire to get the bead even. I left the tires at about 65psi and took them for a quick 3 mile spin to get the sealant distributed. After sitting overnight there was minimal air loss. I let the pressure out to about 26/32 ft/r and went for a ride on a standard loop. I am amazed at the ride difference over my Nevgals. I know the difference is likely a combination of new tire and tubeless setup, but being able to run lower pressure really seems to make a difference.

Setting up the tubeless was much more pain free than I anticipated. If you have this wheelset and haven't tried it, I can vouch for the formula I used.

I did learn an important lesson about tire pressure--I dumped a bit of air from the front tire to see how low I could get away with running on a fast flowing trail. I rolled into a tight, downhill, rutted, turn and broke the bead free. Sealant and air were my reward. I did manage to get the bead set again with just my small pack pump and finish the ride--note to self: don't be stupid with air pressure.

I've got a team based endurance race in 2 weeks. At this point, if all continues to run well, I'm feeling confident in this setup for the race. The increase in traction and decrease in rolling resistance is easily felt.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Tape works great.....remember part of the reason for the stan's kit is the extra rubbber takes up a bit of the room in the rim where the bead clinch's. It helps to keep the bead tight against a non-tubeless rim. So if you're burping a lot then try the stan's strip. I had them on a WTB rim for a couple of years and never had a problem.