Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Lightly salted

Ibis wins @Santa cruz super enduro!

Congrats to Ibis and rider Jeff Kendall Weed. Winning the pro category at the Santa Cruz super enduro!

mtbr member
    Way to go Jeff!

mtbr member
    Congrats, Jeff!

Cool to see that the guy handling my recent requests also gets out to rip!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Awesome job Jeff!

Mtb Guide
    Congrats jeff and the Ripley!

My only question is are these events really Enduros!

I just completed another one here and had a great time, but the trails were mainly grade 3, I don't ride grade 3s often at all, they're XCish maybe as a link to other trails but it would be 10% of my riding!

Of this continues I may have to consider a Ripley for these trails, I will not now or ever replace my HD it will be an add to the stable.

Still great to see an Ibis at the top.

mtbr member
    Nice. Both the result and the shaka.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverick005 View Post

I just completed another one here and had a great time, but the trails were mainly grade 3, I don't ride grade 3s often at all, they're XCish maybe as a link to other trails but it would be 10% of my riding!

Of this continues I may have to consider a Ripley for these trails, I will not now or ever replace my HD it will be an add to the stable.

I've been riding mtb for 22 years, from XC to AM, and have never heard of a system for grading trail difficulty. I've seen a few ski areas that are open for lift assisted biking use the ski lingo (green to black diamond) - got a link?
    www.seanhannity.com <=not what you think it is.

Homeopathy is the Air Guitar of Medicine.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Maverick, this begs the question from me of . . . what really is enduro and what defines an enduro trail?

I've ridden all of the trails that they went down in Soquel Demo forest, and they are pretty fun, fast and furious downhills. There's hardly any climbing on the course and there are some fairly big features - which are fun but not necessarily the fastest lines. The climbs to get back to the start are fairly tolling ... think it was 4600 feet of climbing over the course of the whole race. Some of those climbs are fairly steep in spots too.

Lightly salted

I've also ridden the Santa cruz enduro course trails several times. The pro catagory had transfer stages and timed down hill stages that equaled to around 25 miles and 4600' climbing, so it was run in the enduro format. It's hard to rate trails as every body probably has different ideas for difficulty. I would probably rate them a 5 or 6 on a scale of 1-10. For reference, I ride every thing from true XC to bike park downhill so I ride a wide variety of trails.
    The trails at demo are not to ruff, there are some rutted rooted sections, blown out steep switch backs and some features mixed in, although the fastest way down probably would skip most the jumps.
    You can ride it on a hardtail but it would be slow and bumpy. 120mm to 160mm travel would be the sweet spot. That being said, I do think it is a good enduro course, especially at the pro/expert level. The down hills are long, fast and technical enough that if your pushing your speed and not on your game it can spell disaster for the rider. You have to be a fast fit rider and have a good skill to be competitive on those trails. It's a place where riders regularly go down hard.
    I own a 160mm 26" hdr and a ripley, I personally would have raced it on my HDR, because its what I would have felt most comfortable on.
    Im glad we have this race locally, and hope it encourages more enduro events in our area.

Too Much Fun
    Quote Originally Posted by dacarbon View Post
    Maverick, this begs the question from me of . . . what really is enduro and what defines an enduro trail?
    Ah, will the One True Enduro please stand up! ...that's the question that's being asked by everyone interested in enduro as a racing format.

I'd argue that if it's staged and includes a mix of climbing then it's enduro. Should it have technical trails? Ideally hells yes, but that's where local color and definitions come into play. If it's not technically demanding IMO, then it needs to be run on trails that allow good riders to open up speeds and lines that they might not otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by dacarbon View Post
    I've ridden all of the trails that they went down in Soquel Demo forest, and they are pretty fun, fast and furious downhills.
    Demo seems like a great enduro venue. Not every race can be the Trans Provence. Some will be less technical, others more so.

It's all good. As long as it doesn't violate The Spirit of Enduro....

(cue sounds of a hawk crying into the wind...)
    - -benja- -

mtbr member
    This hread is soooo enduro

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Mav,

I have ridden at Soquel Demo forest and it is not what I would call easy or intermediate.
    It is very comparable to Downieville. And is much longer and harder than the "downhill" race course at Sea Otter.

Btw, I am looking forward to riding there again, it's a great location for riding, but requires a 2 1/2-3 hour drive for me to get there.

Too Much Fun
    Quote Originally Posted by Yody View Post
    This hread is soooo enduro
    ...I'm not so sure. Smells more All-Mountain to me...
    - -benja- -

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by saidrick View Post
    Mav,

I have ridden at Soquel Demo forest and it is not what I would call easy or intermediate.
    It is very comparable to Downieville. And is much longer and harder than the "downhill" race course at Sea Otter.

Btw, I am looking forward to riding there again, it's a great location for riding, but requires a 2 1/2-3 hour drive for me to get there.
    This is probably true as I have raced both. Well, not the climb. Dville climb is draining, daunting and just HOT as it's open sun climbing.

The real difference to me is that is you mess up at Demo, you really don't have to worry about dropping 30 feet into a raging river. At Dville, don't look right and down on 1st divide. You won't like it.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    Any race where the boring uphills are untimed and you can chat with your buds, and the downhills are timed and fun as hell. Regardles of whether you call it "enduro", "all mountain", "super d", whatever.

Who cares what they call it, and how GNAR the trails are. Its the most fun you can have racing on a mountain bike, (unless you really dig XC and road, which is fine, just not my cup o java).

Mtb Guide
    Quote Originally Posted by juan_speeder View Post
    I've been riding mtb for 22 years, from XC to AM, and have never heard of a system for grading trail difficulty. I've seen a few ski areas that are open for lift assisted biking use the ski lingo (green to black diamond) - got a link?
    Apologies we are a bit backward and inconsistent in NZ on grading and signage, a big bug bear of mine and I agree with your std.

Queenstown is one of the few here that follow the international std that Ive pushed hard here, I see out of town and overseas riders regulary getting confused but also they dont understand the correct system.

Grade 6 = double black diamond
    Grade 5 = black Diamond
    Grade 4 = Blue Square
    Grade 3 = Green circle and below

We over complicate it with numbers as well.

Im not trying to be- little or take away this threads objectives so if it gets to rowdy lets discuss it in a what is Enduro thread maybe.

screamer
    Yeah, this course may not measure up to, say Les Deux Alpes or Whistler in terms of rocky gnar enduro technicalness, but it certainly is up there with much of the Oregon series.
    On heavy rotation: White Lung: Deep Fantasy

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by budgie View Post
    Yeah, this course may not measure up to, say Les Deux Alpes or Whistler in terms of rocky gnar enduro technicalness, but it certainly is up there with much of the Oregon series.
    You also can't measure the "fun" of a course by how many rocks are on it. Demo flows rather well and is damn fun to ride.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    Looks like they changed their minds and gave the win to John Haur.

Mtb Guide
    Quote Originally Posted by ziscwg View Post
    You also can't measure the "fun" of a course by how many rocks are on it. Demo flows rather well and is damn fun to ride.
    Fun is number one, if its not fun then it wont last or I wont do it.

I dont have fun racing XC, haven't done for over 10 years.
    Reasons, it has nothing to do with pedalling up hills, I do that everyday, I actually believe in earning your downs.

When I race I want to be challenged by the course, I want my bike to be challenged, its pretty simple, XC stopped doing that many years ago for me became road riding on dirt, for he same reasons I was told why the trails we rode at our most recent Enduro, to please and encourage new riders.

I dont know this course or event, I base my question not on the above pic or rider, but what I saw on Vitalmtb for this event and series and what I experience at our own series and that to me in comparison to Enduro I see on say Enduro-mtb.com or say the Transprovence is quite different.

I don't want to see Enduro to be Downhill, thats what Downhill is, just like XC is XC, taking out the "timing" of going uphill and the same trails an XC would or could be run over and calling it Enduro is not Enduro either.

Its early days, maybe Ive been around too long, I remember how SuperD was highjacked and destroyed overnight by greedy people, who do not understand riding lest of all racing and how to grow it, like any house.
    You need strong foundations, based on its core function!

No difference to business, pro sports, and bike racing is no different to me, people and the industry seem to struggle with difference, they want everything to be the same instead of celebrating the unique differences of each category or discipline and keeping them as pure as possible, thats why it became what it did in the first place.

Its like having a baby when its born, it pops out and suddenly people see a red head and go um thats to hard core, lets dye the hair black or blonde to conform to the rest of the collective for acceptance or an image people want or just to be politically correct!

I think Enduro could be MTBs best ever answer for fun, but fun is also facing challenges, no one enjoys slogging ya guts out on a pedal fest and I don't mean pedalling between transition stages!

Mtb Guide
    Another development here is a National Enduro points system you get points allocated by every Enduro you enter so more events the more points better you overall position and total will be!

Your points allocation however come by where you finish in your category!

So I recently came 18th out of 70odd riders in my class( still gutted by that result) I was aiming for top 5 but once I knew the trails, I knew I would struggle, just wasn't a good build up for that amount of pedalling on course. No excuses a downhiller still won the overall on a borrowed Giant Regin 26" ah Matt Walker current WC racer! Just broke his neck a few days later on a table top on a new grade 3, sorry green grade we have here, heal fast dude.

So I got 30 odd points for that event based on my position!
    A friend finished 6th in his class! Right he was allocated 80 odd points or so don't quote me on that.

Overall I finished with a time for 5 stages around 5minutes faster than him still with me.

Now in the overall National points rankings he's in the top 60 overall regardless of class, Im in the top somewhere like 290. Im faster rider than he is every race yet overall his points based on his category ranks him higher than me!

Are you lost by this, is this PC gone mad how can we reward slower people with a higher ranking because of a weaker class less number of competitors slower times per stages and over all with a higher position in a National rankings system!

Too Much Fun

Good job! True

YES. This.

Fun is number one, if its not fun then it wont last or I wont do it.

I dont have fun racing XC, haven't done for over 10 years.
    Reasons, it has nothing to do with pedalling up hills, I do that everyday, I actually believe in earning your downs.

When I race I want to be challenged by the course, I want my bike to be challenged, its pretty simple, XC stopped doing that many years ago for me became road riding on dirt.
    This is the heart of it. "XC" MTB racing used to be technically HARD and FUN. Not just go fast for a long time hard, but Adventure Hard, "Can I clean that?!" Hard...

The first ever XC race I entered was the NORBA Nats in Davis WV, in '87 I think. It was two huge loops, 50k, indy style start and the starting line was in the middle of a knee-high stream! Multiple large stream crossings, many sections that would test you technically, over and over again. No rest, no sitting around spinning, tech singletrack for most of the race.

That to me was what a Mountain Bike Race should be. Laird Knight was the promoter (24hrs of Moab was his later...) and he knew how to run a great course and race.

This is why the D'ville "XC" race still feels like the last great MTB race in the states.

I think Enduro is really just taking us back to the roots of the sport.
    - -benja- -

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by beef supreme View Post
    Looks like they changed their minds and gave the win to John Haur.
    Jeff Strava'd his runs as did John and when you compare them Jeff actually had a 13 second advantage overall. Somebody flagged Jeff's Strava runs so they could not be viewed. They will probably get unflagged by Strava at some point. Jeff screen captured them before they got flagged as he actually anticipated that odd stuff was going on.
    So.. It looks like the timing or tabulation got messed up and is probably still messed up.
    Maybe next year it will be right.
    H
    Hans
    Ibis Cycles, Inc.

aka dan51
    Quote Originally Posted by hanssc View Post
    Jeff Strava'd his runs as did John and when you compare them Jeff actually had a 13 second advantage overall. Somebody flagged Jeff's Strava runs so they could not be viewed. They will probably get unflagged by Strava at some point. Jeff screen captured them before they got flagged as he actually anticipated that odd stuff was going on.
    So.. It looks like the timing or tabulation got messed up and is probably still messed up.
    Maybe next year it will be right.
    H
    Bummer for Jeff. However, he's such a cool and laid-back dude that I can't see him getting hung up on who wins. He kills it wherever he goes and is always cheerful and fun. He's winning at life.
    Those who know, ride a Mojo AND a Mojo HD.
    Quadzilla
    Quote Originally Posted by benja55
    Ok, whatever, cold water on my bike boner right there.

mtbr member
    Sick bike and awesome job!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast