mtbr member
    Sep 2004

The Ibis Story??

The Ibis Story??

Does anyone know the story of Ibis? My favorite ride of all time is/was the Mojo.

Mine has taken a lot of abuse and I am ready for a new one. (Maybe a SS 29er in Ti)

I was thinking of asking Jones Bikes to build me a copy but I have concerns that it might not be ethical to copy the design. Where do I begin?

Any and all comments welcome,

-Mo

banned

Some partial answers...

Quote Originally Posted by Mo Jiggy
    The Ibis Story??

Does anyone know the story of Ibis? My favorite ride of all time is/was the Mojo.

Mine has taken a lot of abuse and I am ready for a new one. (Maybe a SS 29er in Ti)

I was thinking of asking Jones Bikes to build me a copy but I have concerns that it might not be ethical to copy the design. Where do I begin?

-Mo
    No discussion of Ibis and singlespeeds would be complete without a retrospective on the Scorcher, their ultra-limited-edition (100 copies) off-road fixie:

http://www.63xc.com/scorcher/scorcher.htm

John Castellano was the designer for Ibis's pivotless frames (Bow-Ti, Silk-Ti, Ripley). He has his own company now, and exhibited a 29"er softail at Interbike last week.

http://www.castellanodesigns.com/

Enjoy,

ECB

hot like a box of fire
    Roughly: Scot Nicol founded Ibis in 1983. In 1991 they created the Mojo. In 1999 they moved to Santa Rosa. In April 2000 Scot sold Ibis to former Ibis General Manager Roger Salameh. In 2002 they filed for bankruptcy. In 2003 John Castellano took over many of the designs.

It isn't the least bit unethical to mimic the ride of a bike you love... Bike geometries have no legal protection. You'll be altering Ibis' original numbers to work around 29" wheels anyways.

Anyways, and in this case you have no choice. If you have the kaching for a Jones, and you're down with a softtail, you might want to look at Castellano's Silk Ti 29 mentioned above.

Not a regular
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Mo Jiggy
    The Ibis Story??

-Mo
    The Ibis story? Once upon a time this guy named Daryl Lickt builds some really sweet frames and fast forward some 20 years and he is retired and loving life.

Now onto your frame questions. Ethical copying a double diamond frame? Probably not an issue. I don't know Jeff, so I am surmising here - Jeff seems to have his own unique designs and I would doubt if he would be open to building a 29" wheel version of a Mojo. If you want a Jones, get a Jones design. If you want a simple double diamond frame - which is what a Mojo is - in a ti 29 there are several builders who would be able to fit the bill for you from Airborne up to Seven.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Well... okay then.

Thanks for the Ibis story.

Maybe ethics was a bad choice of words. If somebody was due some cash, I just wanted make sure it got to the people.

I will look into a Castellano. I always liked the Silk Ti.

I have not spoken to Jeff (Jones Bikes) about doing the work or anyone else for that matter. From what I have read and the pictures I have seen, Jones might put a sweet sweep to that simple diamond.

--Mo

WAWE
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ssmike
    If you want a Jones, get a Jones design. If you want a simple double diamond frame - which is what a Mojo is - in a ti 29 there are several builders who would be able to fit the bill for you from Airborne up to Seven.
    Jeff Jones also offers simple diamond frames.

WAWE
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by a nice cake
    Roughly: Scot Nicol founded Ibis in 1983. In 1991 they created the Mojo. In 1999 they moved to Santa Rosa. In April 2000 Scot sold Ibis to former Ibis General Manager Roger Salameh. In 2002 they filed for bankruptcy. In 2003 John Castellano took over many of the designs.
    I'm pretty sure the Sweet-Spot and Ripley/Silk-Ti patents belonged to Castellano. I spoke to him at Interbike - he recently got his hands on the "Silk-Ti" name... because no other names were appropriate for the newly re-introduced frames.

Not a regular
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by aosty
    Jeff Jones also offers simple diamond frames.
    With all the talk about his space frames, I didn't realize he made a more traditional frame - nice! and another option.

Kam
    A hopped on pop.

Jones...

i reacently sold all of my bikes and now only ride my kelly 29er ss (though i have a fixed gear roadie project to start soon). i have been yearning for a custom ti ebb. i looked at almost everyone...Jones, DeSalvo, Dean, Black Sheep (stay away), Dean, Seven and IF.

i spoke to Jeff Jones about a traditional diamond frame. he had removed it form his pricing list (though i haven't checked up recently) and i wanted to know if he still was building them. he said he would, but wouldn't take a deposit, and that trun around would be a year.
    price was about $1800 or something, which in my opinion, a great deal from a great build like Jones. he said that he put more focus on the vertically compliant frame because they are a majority of his frame orders and that they are superior on every way.

have you seen that truss fork...that thing looks amazing!!!

i ended up going deslavo. frame should take about 8 weeks. 29er ti disc only bushnell frame, $1700.

i also have a custom segmented 29er disc steel fork on order from Walt at waltworks. the prices on his forks are great, take advantage of his pricing while you can, his prices will be going up soon.

as for ibis, i loved the ripley/silk ti frames. i had a ripley but recently sold it, since small wheels were no longer pleasing. a 29er ripley would be an amazing ride (he is going to so custom silt ti 29ers, but pricing is $3500 frame only). hopefully castellano will do 'em. salsa has something similar in the dosniner.

cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by aosty
    I'm pretty sure the Sweet-Spot and Ripley/Silk-Ti patents belonged to Castellano. I spoke to him at Interbike - he recently got his hands on the "Silk-Ti" name... because no other names were appropriate for the newly re-introduced frames.

artistic...
    other than the right info provided by the others i would add the ibis ebb singlespeed: the first to come up with a tandem BB as a way to keep vert. drop outs and provide a singlespeed with discs... did i say the first? btw, mojos are groovy.
    want: Ibis ti handlebar. suntour 31.8 front derr. bottom pull