Thread: Ibis Stem

Happy when not-last.

Ibis Stem

So I'm a bit confused here. I've found that for the most part when dealing with reputable companies, you really do get what you pay for.

The 8deg 110mm Ibis 3D forged stem is 120g and retails for $45.
    The 10deg 110mm Thomson Elite x4 is 171g and retails for $100.

Is the Thomson any better than the Ibis stem? I'm looking to try a short stem and wondering if there's any reason *not* to go with the Ibis? It looks less than hefty, but I'm guessing Ibis wouldn't make something that couldn't take a hell of a beating.

Anyone own one with or without problems?
    All your base are belong to ME.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I got an ibis stem because it was light and cheap. no problems so far

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Get the Ibis stem, its a no brainer.I've got two years on mine with alot of bike park days in there.Replace the 6 steel bolts with Ti bolts from torontocycles.com & you will get
    70mm = 91 grams.
    80mm = 93 grams.

www.derbyrims.com
    I used a Thompson stem on my prior bike, an Intense Tracer. Compared to other stems on the same bike the Thompson was very stiff with wider clamps for the steer tube and bars. The stiffness difference is more about feedback and feel preference than any real performance difference. If you are doing large jumps and bottoming hard on your fork very often, the heavier Thompson may be more durable than the light weight and well designed Ibis stem.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by derby
    I used a Thompson stem on my prior bike, an Intense Tracer. Compared to other stems on the same bike the Thompson was very stiff with wider clamps for the steer tube and bars. The stiffness difference is more about feedback and feel preference than any real performance difference. If you are doing large jumps and bottoming hard on your fork very often, the heavier Thompson may be more durable than the light weight and well designed Ibis stem.
    Translation:

I would get the Ibis stem.

mtbr member
    My Ibis stem is great, no problems whatsoever. Like Minsky, I looked at other expensive stems out there and scratched my head as to why I would pay double or more for no significant benefit.

Happy when not-last.
    Anyone know what color the current ones are? They look ti (in color) in the store, but I've seen images of black ones. Not sure if it's the lighting or different colors for different years maybe?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by MinskyBA
    Anyone know what color the current ones are? They look ti (in color) in the store, but I've seen images of black ones. Not sure if it's the lighting or different colors for different years maybe?

Black
    Hans
    Ibis Cycles, Inc.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by xc71
    Get the Ibis stem, its a no brainer.I've got two years on mine with alot of bike park days in there.Replace the 6 steel bolts with Ti bolts from torontocycles.com & you will get
    70mm = 91 grams.
    80mm = 93 grams.
    Anyone knows the size spec for the bolts? is M5 x 16mm the correct one?

Thanks.

Too Much Fun

Get the Ibis stem and enjoy

I've run Thompson X4 kit on all my MTB's for years. My Mojo SL came with the standard Ibis stem. When I went to go shorter I had the same dilemma. Why pay more for heavier?

I stuck with the Ibis house brand stem and it does it's job just fine.

Thompson (or whatever brand you care to substitute) is lovely, but unnecessary.
    - -benja- -

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by benja55
    I've run Thompson X4 kit on all my MTB's for years. My Mojo SL came with the standard Ibis stem. When I went to go shorter I had the same dilemma. Why pay more for heavier?

I plan to get the 80mm Ibis stem, but replace the bolts to the titanium type as someone suggested (I'm a closet weight winnie). Just want to confirm the bolt size for the Ibis stem.

It looks like M5x16mm is likely the std size for most stems.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    jIian
    Handlebar clamp = 4 - M5 x 16mm.
    Steer tube = 2 - M6 x 15mm.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by benja55

I plan to get the 80mm Ibis stem, but replace the bolts to the titanium type as someone suggested (I'm a closet weight winnie). Just want to confirm the bolt size for the Ibis stem.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jlian

That is the correct size fastener, but please note that we use a 1mm thick captured washer under the head and that will affect things a bit. The washer is very small in diameter, about the same outside diameter as the head.

H
    Hans
    Ibis Cycles, Inc.

MTBR Contributing Editor
    Quote Originally Posted by jlian

It's "Weight Weenie", unless you have a fetish with the weight of Winnie the Pooh?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Is the Ibis 3d forged strong enough for AM use?

Happy when not-last.
    Quote Originally Posted by fcaw11 View Post
    I'm about 210 geared up, and not exactly a graceful rider. No complaints here!

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by fcaw11 View Post
    Without question , yes. Its speced on the HD. I've got 3 years on one - bike parks,etc
    no issues, its been great & is very light.