mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Ibis SS and Front shock?

I know, I know, I know! "Front suspension on an SS? That's crazy talk I tell you! BLASPHEMY"
    Well the question still remains.... Can it be done? And if so how much travel?
    Thanks for your replies.

Interlectchewal
    Quote Originally Posted by Ibisgrouch
    I know, I know, I know! "Front suspension on an SS? That's crazy talk I tell you! BLASPHEMY"
    Well the question still remains.... Can it be done? And if so how much travel?
    Thanks for your replies.
    Hmmm, not sure. I see from your profile that you have a 1991 frame. That was pre-suspension correction, correct? If you were to do it and somewhat preserve the handling you'd have to go really short-travel.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Well...

Thanks for the reply, I'm almost positive it's from 91. Top routed front derailer and no hand job for the rear brake. I bought it in 95 from a bike shop in Santa Rosa (they were using it as a rental!), can't remember which one, I drove from San Jose, CA to Santa Rosa to pick it up (~175 MI round trip). At the time of purchase it had Suntour XCM and is painted a BRIGHT yellow which I haven't seen on any other Ibis from any year and a fairly nice sized ding in the top tube. The only reason I know it's an SS is from the almost ripped off top bar stikers on both sides. In the 16 years I've owned it (six of which were on loan to my best friend) it has seen alot of use and abuse, the paint is chipped and scratched but it is still one of the only bikes that has showed me what true Mountain bikes are all about. The ride is incredible and truley FUN to ride.
    I now live right next to the White Tank mountains in AZ and the trails are ALOT rockier here than they were back in Cali'. Which brings me to the reasoning why I'm wondering how to switch from fully ridgid to putting a suspension fork on such a classic bike. I will never part with it and I can't fork out for a completely new bike so .....

29er wannabe
    Does your SS have a 1in. steer tube? (1 inch headset)

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Yeppers

Yes it's a 1", got an old MCU Rockshox fork from a friend of mine and was about to try it out. I shattered my right radius on a pre-shock install test ride and the Doc has had me off the bike ever since.

Not a regular
    Jan 2004
    As the owner of an SS since it was new in '91, I can say that putting any suspension fork on the bike will really wreak havoc on the precision handling of your bike. Are you looking for more front end comfort because of your broken arm? If so, there are other options rather than using a suspension fork.

1. The easiest thing would be to run a big ole fat tire. I used to run 2.35 Ritchey Z-Max on mine when it was new. We used to call the big tires "poor man's suspension." WTB currently makes a Weirwolf LT 2.55 that would be a great choice. I'm running it on my WTB Phoenix and it's a great ride at 30 psi.

2. Allsop Softride stem. People laughed at and poo-pooed the Softride stem way back when they were new, but they were good enough to earn several World Championship wins under Henrik Djernis. Heck, Tom Ritchey used one just a couple of weeks ago when he competed in La Ruta de los Conquistadores in Costa Rica. They can be had on ebay for reasonable prices. My wife still uses one on her custom late 80's Salsa so it can't be that bad

3. Convert your bike to drop bars. This might sound totally odd, but drop bars really places less stress on your arms - particularly your forearms. Do a search for drop bars on the vintage forum and you'll find some good info. There's also good info here - it was written quite some time ago, but the info is still as pertinent today as it was then.

"grouchier Ibis rider"
    Last edited by ssmike; 11-27-2006 at 02:48 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    1. I have had a 2.35 "Smoke" from time of purchase 'till about 2000, then loaned it to my buddy. Got it back this year and that's when my troubles with the arm started. I'm not opposed to running a "fattie" and it's probably the route I'll take.

2. I Had a "Frankenstem" on my 85 Trek Carbon fiber frame and is the reason I'll never ride an Alsop again. Cracked the top bar on the second ride after a REALLY gnarly wreck caused by the MCU and spring flying out of the bottom of the stem. 1200.00 down the drain.

3. Drop bars? In AZ? It just might be crazy enough to work but I REALLY like my Carbon riser bars. They absorb quite a bit of vibrations and I can't really see putting raodie bars on "Alison" (bikes name).

Thanks for the input.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

I have an SS w/front shock

I have had my SS from new also (Actually custom built by the boys at Ibis) & have not had any handleing issues. The boys at Ibis did want me to use the Maitou though.

I love my SS