mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Ibis SL-R Chaindrop woes

Hi my freind has an Ibis SL-R with 2 x 10 XO Fitted (non type 2).

Hes having chaindrop woes, rough ground it drops the chain hes put a chain tensioner on and its still dropping.

Ive mentioned swapping the rear mech to a type 2 but i would have thought the chain tensioner would have done the trick. Hes reluctant to spend the money on the type 2 if the problem persists.

Any ideas what might be....

A) The problem
    B) The solution

Many thanks for any help

Bike Addiction
    I've had good luck with a c-guide by bionicon,they're a little expensive around $50 weigh 20 grams and work great but any chainguide will work. I have one on both bikes (HD & Speci xc).It quiets the chain slap on both also. Not sure of the cause but my Speci would do it when its really muddy. It drops off the inside granny on a 3x9. My Ibis would do it on the outside in the rough stuff too.
    Disclaimer: Always get a second opinion cause I'm just guessing

screamer
    The clutch derailleur is a good investment for peace of mind in nothing else (but you probably already knew that). Barring that, have you tried shortening the chain, one link at a time? I found that the typical chain-length gauge (large-large + 2 links @ full shock compression) yielded a noisy, slack chain. I rolled the dice & shortened a bit, just being diligent about staying out of large-large gears.

Went 1x10 with a clutch derailleur & problem solved.
    On heavy rotation: White Lung: Deep Fantasy

screamer
    One other effective & inexpensive solution is to pick up a twist front shifter (X0s can be had for about $25-30 usd on eBay), which allows you to make micro incremental adjustments of the FD much like an old friction shifter. This way you can move the FD over to act as a defacto chain guide, for example to stop the chain from dropping onto the small ring when you're bombing a rock garden in the big.
    On heavy rotation: White Lung: Deep Fantasy