mtbr member

... and if we just ... Ibis Silk Ti with Disc Tabs

I just sent my Ibis Silk Ti to John Castellano to add disc tabs. I just got thet bike back and it is awesome . John and folks did an excellent job. John also cleaned up the Ti on the frame and shined the Ibis logo - this reflects on his dedication to his customers. I love the silk ti ride and now with disc brakes it is so much fun. John is making Ti versions now of the fango/ripley, which I highly recommend to anyone who can afford it.

Attached are pictures, though they do not do the frame or the disc tabs justice.

It is also cool to hear this week that Ibis is coming back - awesome!!!!

Cheers
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member

Those

are some awesome looking disc tabs. Love the sweeping profile on the ends.

Kam
    A hopped on pop.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dude!
    I just sent my Ibis Silk Ti to John Castellano to add disc tabs. I just got thet bike back and it is awesome . John and folks did an excellent job. John also cleaned up the Ti on the frame and shined the Ibis logo - this reflects on his dedication to his customers. I love the silk ti ride and now with disc brakes it is so much fun. John is making Ti versions now of the fango/ripley, which I highly recommend to anyone who can afford it.

Attached are pictures, though they do not do the frame or the disc tabs justice.

It is also cool to hear this week that Ibis is coming back - awesome!!!!

Cheers
    wow, nice bike...one of my favs. here at mtbr!!!

nice job by castellano/potts. i like the way the tab has a very long spine, spreading braking forces along more area on the stay. i have seen two frames here that has disc mount retrofits, the tabs were VERY minimal. you tab looks killer!!!

nice bike and long live ibis (i am hoping they do a 29er ripley when they are back up).

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

at what cost

What did he charge for tabs if you dont mind me asking? (I have a silk ti)

Slowpoke

Good job! Sweet tabs!!

I like the smooth line of how the hose is tied to the tab and then goes to the caliper.
    Looks very well thought out.
    So where did you hear about Ibis coming back? Is it true?
    If it is, thats pretty cool!
    One of my bikes is a steel Mojo that I bought back in 99', it's an awesome ride!

mtbr member

Good job! John is charging $400

John is charging $400 (which is very reasonable - this seems to be about the going rate)...John went above and beyond the charge. I love disc brakes and now the bike is close to perfect. The welds are awesome and as someone mentioned well thoughout. I can send some more photos if interested. I like Paul Mono Mini brakes which require that disc tabs are in perfect alignment or else you have to get the tabs faced. The disc tabs have this very interesting bend to them and I originally thought - hey are this going to be in alignment - very deceiving to the eye. The tabs were perfectly aligned and away. I actually think the bike is lighter - though I have no proof of this.

I will have this bike for as long as I can pedal uphill. I was a major opponent of disc brakes. I never saw the need. I could hang with my FS disc buddies on the downhills and maintainence on V brakes is super easy. However, I gave into pressure and got a new FS bike and made the jump to disc brakes. Man I love disc brakes and I should of got them sooner. Disc brakes are easy to set-up and so much more power. I even had the Avid Black Ops, which have internal bearings, and I thought they felt like butter - I was crazy. Since I still love to ride the Silk Ti as much as I want to ride my FS and SS, I had to convert it to disc. I would want to ride my Silk Ti and I would hesitate because it had V-brakes. A lot of my friends are the same way...they want to ride the other bike, but dont because it have V-brakes.

mtbr member

Smile http://ibisbicycles.com/

Slowpoke

Good job!

Sweet!

I should be studying...
    I love my fango, but the Silk Ti may be the most lust worthy bike ever made.
    Formerly known as iceaxe

MTBR Mafia
    aside from being quite possibly one of the sexiest bikes i ever seen. i wish they could take the rubber cover off the rear shock. it looks like the old forks that has those. while i know the technology inside that shock is new, it looks old from the outside.
    i still love your ride though. and the welds look pretty perfect for you tabs. congrats
    All Mountain was so 2005