Gittyup!

Ibis shipped w/ wrong fork - Talas vs Float dilemma

Curious to know others experiences w/ a Talas 150 Fit. How long of a break in period before the stiction started to subside? A recently purchased Ibis Mojo SL was sent w/ the wrong fork - it was supposed to come w/ a Float 140 but shipped w/ a Talas 150. The LBS installed (and cut the steerer) before realizing the mistake. Even though Iíve no need or desire for the travel adjust, figured I'd roll w/ it simply to avoid the hassle or replacement. But after 2 rides Iím finding that it has far more stiction than Iíd like, especially compared to the '06 Float I just came off (on another bike). Sag has been set per Fox recís as best as I could, but itís so damn sticky itís hard to get it right. Tried a variety of air psi as well w/ no luck. I'm about to pull the trigger on a Float to replace it (and sell the Talas), but before doing that, wanted to hear others experiences w/ the Talas to see if it might ďbutter upĒ in time. Thanks for any input.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I think a talas can be converted to a float, might be a lower cost option. Might still be a sticky fork too though.

aka dan51
    Quote Originally Posted by Ansible
    I think a talas can be converted to a float, might be a lower cost option. Might still be a sticky fork too though.
    I've converted a TALAS to a float. I called Fox, said what I wanted to do and $70 later I had the parts. It was an 05 model, but the process was super easy, though it sounds like you'd have the LBS do it. In the end you could end up with the parts for a TALAS if you ever wanted to try it again. I'm a major supporter of adjustable travel, but I converted the TALAS for a reason.
    Those who know, ride a Mojo AND a Mojo HD.
    Quadzilla
    Quote Originally Posted by benja55
    Ok, whatever, cold water on my bike boner right there.

Turn off the TV
    Seems like you should give it some time 2 rides I would say is not enough to see if things will loosen up a bit

mtbr member
    It definetly needs to loosen up. Give it 5 rides or 50 iles of single track first.

Erik

Is that Bill rated?
    The newer Fox forks all feature a distinct breakin period. I think this was intentional on Fox's part, going with tighter tolerance bushings and seals should translate into longer service life.
    I run about 230 on very technical terrain and it took me 6 hours of riding to get a 2010 Fox fork feeling relatively supple and another 6 before it felt like a keeper. The roughness of your trails and your weight will likely vary from mine so it may take you more or less time to reach the same state.
    Good luck.
    Well, it was a good try.

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    If I were you I wouldn't feel too bad about that 'mistake.'

The original build on my ex-Mojo had a TALAS 150 QR15 (non-FIT as they weren't available yet) which I later swapped out for a Float 36 RC2. IMO, that was a mistake. The TALAS 150 was a dead on fit for that frame both geometry and performance-wise. The DW Link on the Mojo gives those 5.5 inches the feeling that you have 6.5. Running a 140mm fork on a bike like that would be a waste of potential IMO.

I can totally understand the need not to have a travel adjustment feature. Although I've owned a couple of TALAS forks, I've never used the feature-especially on the bike like the Mojo where it was easy to keep the ride height of the front end low.

My new bike has the new FIT cartridge on a Float 15QR and to be honest, I can't tell that there is anything different than the '09 offerings other than two of the nobs have swapped places above and below the fork.

If you feel the fork isn't plush enough, I would go back to the factory settings and recalibrate the fork to your liking again. Another thing to try is to turn the bike upside about 10-15 minutes before you ride to get oil up to the seals and o-rings. Those forks only use a thimble's worth of oil so if they're stored upright for a long time they have the potential to go dry. Last thing would be to swap out the seals for Enduro's. Don't ask me why, but they made my '09 Float feel like a new fork .

mtbr member
    Is the stiction just a TALAS thing? I would think that whatever is making that fork sticky would be the same on a new float.
    I did a demo of a Mojo that had a 2010 float fork and I noticed lots of sticktion in the fork.
    我的镀铬光泽的冰柱一样,我骑在镇附近在我的低骑手自行车

Gittyup!
    That's a great question. I assumed a Float would be less "sticky" out of the box based on experience w/ previous Fox forks. I have a Talas 36 RC2 and it never really got plush ('06 version, changed oil, did the bracketing set up method to dial in, etc.) W/ those experiences, I just assumed that the Talas line wasn't as plush as the Float. Of the 2 new Float's I've purchased in the past, both were pretty darn fluid right out of the box, but those were '06 and '07 vintage. I was hoping that the '10 Talas w/ the FIT system would alleviate some of that. Sounds like a long break in period is required.

Quote Originally Posted by GuruAtma
    Is the stiction just a TALAS thing? I would think that whatever is making that fork sticky would be the same on a new float.
    I did a demo of a Mojo that had a 2010 float fork and I noticed lots of sticktion in the fork.

Space Ghost
    I believe the travel adjust feature is the cause of the stiction (providing there is nothing wrong w/ the fork). I have had a similar issue w/ a Talas that never felt as smooth as a Float. It wasn't a huge problem, but I had two bikes one with the Talas, the other with a Float. So for me the difference was easily noticed. Neither fork was a FIT.
    "No good deed goes unpunished"

aka Łbermensch
    Coach, what are you doing in the Ibis forum? Shouldn't you be hanging out in the clown wheel section? LOL
    08 Ibis Mojo SL
    09 Ibis Tranny SingleSpeed

Space Ghost
    Don't tell, but I have wandering eyes!
    "No good deed goes unpunished"

More Torque
    I have the 2010 TALAS 150, and I use the travel adjustment feature all the time. I had the 2009 TALAS 140, and the 2010 makes better use of its travel and has better ergonomics. I also think the 150 is a great fit on this bike.

Where I live, climbing in the 150 mode would suck big time.

It does have a bit more stiction than I'd like, but I would not give up the travel adjustment to remedy the situation.

-D

www.derbyrims.com
    Some of fork feel on full suspension is the balance of feel front to rear. Turn up the shock's propedal to better match the sticky feel of the Talas. Maybe it will loosen up enough to your satisfaction after a few hundred miles.

Consider a PUSH Industries tune up too, give them a call, and/or ask in Shock Forum if there's a much smoother and more plush feel after a PUSH tune of the Talas - at least to be as low in stiction as a Float RLC.