mtbr member

IBIS Ripley video review -Bike Magazine-

In my compulsive research for information for the Ripley I found this. What do you think? More trail or XC? Looking to replace my 2013 epic carbon comp.

2014 Bible of Bike Tests: Ibis Ripley - Bike Magazine - YouTube

Here is they the review for the Epic carbon comp.

2014 Bible of Bike Tests: Specialized Epic Comp Carbon - Bike Magazine - YouTube

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Felt like that review nailed it. It's probably more "trail" than an Epic, but in general sits on the XC side of the trail category. I thought the suspension had an incredibly plush top end, but it gets progressive pretty quick. That said it may be the best pedaling FS bike on the market. For all around singletrack cruising, it would be my bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Well they admit they tested with a 120 instead of the 140mm.
    I think this quote speaks volumes "Good enough that one of our testers bought one."
    Plenty of reviewers spiting out opinion all over the place, but one lays out he's own cash for something he reviewed, to me that say more than anything in the video.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Yep spot on discussion of the Ripley, Its a much better bike with a 140 Pike up front. 120 is unridable to me. Its a disservice to provide a 120mm Ripley bike to a modern trail bike test, it wont cut it.

Fun bike for xc/trail but a bit undergunned on AM, but hits the nail on the head for its design perameters, and quick efficient xc trail bike....its not an AM bike

Still waiting for 140-150mm HD ripley, might be a while.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by motoguru2007 View Post
    Yep spot on discussion of the Ripley, Its a much better bike with a 140 Pike up front. 120 is unridable to me. Its a disservice to provide a 120mm Ripley bike to a modern trail bike test, it wont cut it.

Fun bike for xc/trail but a bit undergunned on AM, but hits the nail on the head for its design perameters, and quick efficient xc trail bike....its not an AM bike

My opinion is that for full suspension bikes, if it needs a 140mm fork, it ought to have 140mm of rear travel, too. That was my experience on the Ripley. I'd have a very hard time not buying a 140mm Ripley HD. I'm really curious if the eccentrics impose any limitations on the amount of travel.

mtbr member

Maybe I'm just used to a difference since I was coming off a Mach 429 with 100 rear and 120 front, but to me the Rip still feels really balanced at 120 rear/130 front, and 120 rear/140 front. Having 130 or 140 in the rear would be nice, but not if it messed with the Ripley handling, which is to say a really fast XC trail 29er that does not handle like a school bus!

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by motoguru2007 View Post

This is the second review I've seen where they evaluate the 120 rip as a trail bike. Leaves me scratching my head a bit. I'd love to build up a 120 as a weight weenie endurance machine, but for a xc oriented trail bike, the 140 seems like the way to go hands down .

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by D_Man View Post
    Maybe I'm just used to a difference since I was coming off a Mach 429 with 100 rear and 120 front, but to me the Rip still feels really balanced at 120 rear/130 front, and 120 rear/140 front. Having 130 or 140 in the rear would be nice, but not if it messed with the Ripley handling, which is to say a really fast XC trail 29er that does not handle like a school bus!
    I agree, I'm running a TBc with a Fox 34mm 140 shimmed to 120mm. I like the longer travel front. So hard to pick the next bike. I'm stuck between the Ripley with a 140 or an Atlas with a Talas 140/110
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I have been riding my Ripley with a Fox 34 140mm since last April, so almost a year now (over 2000miles of ride time). I just picked up a RockShox SID 120mm because I want to see what the bike can do on the XC end. With the Fox 34 140mm, the bike is an excellent all-rounder trail bike (Nobby Nics 2.25, I9 Torch Wheels, Dropper). From bike parks, rock gardens, drops to steep climbs, the bike handled it all very well.
    I've now transformed the bike to being more XC by putting Faster Maxxis Ikon tires, Carbon Seat post and now the SID fork...so we'll see how the bike performs after all is done.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mcgong View Post
    I have been riding my Ripley with a Fox 34 140mm since last April, so almost a year now (over 2000miles of ride time). I just picked up a RockShox SID 120mm because I want to see what the bike can do on the XC end. With the Fox 34 140mm, the bike is an excellent all-rounder trail bike (Nobby Nics 2.25, I9 Torch Wheels, Dropper). From bike parks, rock gardens, drops to steep climbs, the bike handled it all very well.
    I've now transformed the bike to being more XC by putting Faster Maxxis Ikon tires, Carbon Seat post and now the SID fork...so we'll see how the bike performs after all is done.
    Make sure you post back, I'm interested in hearing how you like this. I have a friend who just bought a Czar and decided he'd go with a 100mm fork to match the 100mm rear travel instead of a 120mm fork. He likes how it handles, though he does give up some on the technical downhills. It's gotten me wondering what the Ripley would be like with a 120mm SID instead of my Pike. I like the way it handles with the Pike, but lighter would be nice and I wonder how it would ride with the 120mm. So let us know!