Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Smilerz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    436

    Ibis Ripley sizing question

    For the guys at Ibis. I currently ride a medium size Mojo Sl with a 70mm stem. Yesterday I was able to demo a small Ripley which had a very short stem. Not sure of stem size but it was shorter than 70mm. The bike felt like a good fit for me, but I feel I would need a longer stem, mediums are not available for comparison. Is the Ripley designed for a certain stem length, is there a sweet spot or is it personal preference, or is there a maximum recommended stem length? My Mojo Sl seems right at the 70mm. I tried a longer stem on the SL and it did not feel right. Is it better to go with a smaller frame bike and play with stem length or go with a larger frame?

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    124
    Great news to hear small frames are available

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ancient rascal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    2,633
    Quote Originally Posted by Smilerz View Post
    For the guys at Ibis. I currently ride a medium size Mojo Sl with a 70mm stem. Yesterday I was able to demo a small Ripley which had a very short stem. Not sure of stem size but it was shorter than 70mm. The bike felt like a good fit for me, but I feel I would need a longer stem, mediums are not available for comparison. Is the Ripley designed for a certain stem length, is there a sweet spot or is it personal preference, or is there a maximum recommended stem length? My Mojo Sl seems right at the 70mm. I tried a longer stem on the SL and it did not feel right. Is it better to go with a smaller frame bike and play with stem length or go with a larger frame?
    Sounds like you really loved your test ride. The large was too big for me so I am waiting to stand over the medium size. Are you gonna buy one? Let's go in on the medium rental?



    ?
    You became weak loafing around in that big girly gear! -Soares

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    820
    Quote Originally Posted by ancient rascal View Post
    Sounds like you really loved your test ride. The large was too big for me so I am waiting to stand over the medium size. Are you gonna buy one? Let's go in on the medium rental?



    ?
    What a Ben! Nice to hear you're looking for a squishy bike. I have a medium on order and it will come with a 120mm fork. When I get it, you are more than welcome to give it a proper beating

    Here's an pm I received from Hans that pertains to the OP's question. Hopefully Hans won't mind the quote since it's helping someone choose a proper size.

    "Hi Alan,
    We were just talking about this the other day... The bike is amazing with a 9 cm stem. The front center is long enough that you still feel confident and secure (that's why people run short stems in the first place), but the ergonomics are better with the 9. You get more power and better cornering. I find it easier to ride up AND down the hills. I would recommend it without hesitation. It should actually fit pretty close to the large set up you rode, but be a little more nimble around the switchbacks etc. with the wheelbase of the medium.
    Take care,
    Hans"

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ancient rascal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    2,633
    Wish they had more colors. White one please ! Did you get the ... let me guess black one? Thanks for the offer Alan.
    You became weak loafing around in that big girly gear! -Soares

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,305
    You could get about the same fit with the small at 90 or the medium with a 70 stem. What's your height and inseam?
    H

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Smilerz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    436
    Quote Originally Posted by hanssc View Post
    You could get about the same fit with the small at 90 or the medium with a 70 stem. What's your height and inseam?
    H
    I'm around 5' 7" with a 29" inseam.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Smilerz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    436
    Quote: Sounds like you really loved your test ride. The large was too big for me so I am waiting to stand over the medium size. Are you gonna buy one? Let's go in on the medium rental?

    I think I am just not sure of size. Rode a small with a very short stem and it felt quite good. Perhaps a longer stem would dial it in. No mediums available right now.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ancient rascal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    2,633
    Quote Originally Posted by Smilerz View Post
    Quote: Sounds like you really loved your test ride. The large was too big for me so I am waiting to stand over the medium size. Are you gonna buy one? Let's go in on the medium rental?

    I think I am just not sure of size. Rode a small with a very short stem and it felt quite good. Perhaps a longer stem would dial it in. No mediums available right now.
    The medium may fit both of us. Large is too big for me but the medium may be big for you. Like the wheel sizes you may be a tweener and able to do a small or a medium. The medium should be around in a few more weeks?
    You became weak loafing around in that big girly gear! -Soares

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,305
    Most fitters would probably put you on the medium.

    H

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ancient rascal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    2,633
    Quote Originally Posted by hanssc View Post
    Most fitters would probably put you on the medium.

    H
    I am 5 10' and maybe I am the tweener size. I like my large frame Ti Lynskey as it's in your face for stand and mash but standing over the large frame Rip felt big for me and the guys at Trail head agreed I was a medium frame for that bike. Depends partly on Smilerz intended style of RIPPING ?
    You became weak loafing around in that big girly gear! -Soares

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    247
    I want to know if any guys over 6'3" feel that an XL is big enough. I had a xl mojo and wanted an HD but felt it was too small. Looking to move over from a Jet9Rdo but fear the xl will be too small without a long stem

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1
    Ripley Sizing Dilemma

    I'm trying to figure out what size Ripley (120mm fork set-up)would best fit me. I'm having trouble getting hold of a Demo and I can't even find a bike to sit on in my local area (West Chicago), so I may have to buy in the blind.

    I'm 6'-0" and weigh in at 190 pounds and would ride this bike in Colorado (xc riding). After reading through this thread it seems a lot of guys taller than me are happy with the Large size Ripley, so you would think that would also work for me. But when I compare my current bike (Niner Air RDO hardtail, 100 stem) geometry with the XL Ripley it matches my Niner perfectly (see chart below).

    Reach- Large Niner 433 - Large Ripley 413 - XL Ripley 432
    Stack - Large Niner 631 - Large Ripley 620 - XL Ripley 627
    TT - Large Niner - 626 - Large Ripley 605 - XL Ripley 625

    So, my question is do I get the large because that's how this bike was meant to fit (smaller than Niner) and the handling on large will be much better with my size?
    OR
    I go for the XL because that's the fit I'm used to and handling will not suffer?

    Thanks for any help,
    Dave

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    164
    Quote Originally Posted by super1 View Post
    Ripley Sizing Dilemma

    I'm trying to figure out what size Ripley (120mm fork set-up)would best fit me. I'm having trouble getting hold of a Demo and I can't even find a bike to sit on in my local area (West Chicago), so I may have to buy in the blind.

    I'm 6'-0" and weigh in at 190 pounds and would ride this bike in Colorado (xc riding). After reading through this thread it seems a lot of guys taller than me are happy with the Large size Ripley, so you would think that would also work for me. But when I compare my current bike (Niner Air RDO hardtail, 100 stem) geometry with the XL Ripley it matches my Niner perfectly (see chart below).

    Reach- Large Niner 433 - Large Ripley 413 - XL Ripley 432
    Stack - Large Niner 631 - Large Ripley 620 - XL Ripley 627
    TT - Large Niner - 626 - Large Ripley 605 - XL Ripley 625

    So, my question is do I get the large because that's how this bike was meant to fit (smaller than Niner) and the handling on large will be much better with my size?
    OR
    I go for the XL because that's the fit I'm used to and handling will not suffer?

    Thanks for any help,
    Dave
    Hmm. Crap- I was hoping I could add to this. I'm 5' 10" and did all the measurements of a Med vs Lg Ripley, as compared to my Spesh Epic. My #'s were less consistent than yours- it could have gone either way, but I was leaning towards a Large. Luckily, I demo'd a Medium and it felt perfect!
    I would think that w/ you only being 2" taller, a Large is perfect...but on seeing how a XL matches your Niner's #'s, now I'm not so sure...

    Hopefully some bigger riders will chime in..

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    56
    I'm about 6' 1/2". Previously had large Santa Cruz blurs and a tallboy that I always found just a touch too small but always felt the Santa Cruz xl's would have been too big. Also had a large 650b HDR that I felt was definitely too small and part of the reason I sold it.

    Now, very happy with XL and 90mm stem. If I was buying another bike right now , I'd definitely compare too tube lengths and wheelbases before deciding what size.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: brentos's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,046
    I sized up to an XL from my previous three bikes, which were Larges (Scott Spark, Scale, and Genius). The reach is shorter for the Ripley XL, than the Large Scotts.

    I did demo an XL (75mm stem), and was very happy with the fit and the handling. I'm 5'11" w/ 34" inseam (all leg and arms). The new bike is in my garage awaiting my broken hand to heal up, I'll post when I have more time on the bike.

    If I lived in an area with more winding singletrack, or more jumps built into the trail, I would have gone with a Large. But the trails here (Northern Utah) are comprised of long, steady climbs, where it's nice to be stretched out; and long, fast descents, with some steep, rough sections (where the added stability is nice).

    With a 75mm stem, I probably have a similar fit to cgnreno, who has a 90mm stem.
    Race Reports, PreRide Reports, and General Rambling:

    www.roostersbikersedge.com

Similar Threads

  1. Ibis Ripley - Believe it or not, it's here!
    By doismellbacon in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 64
    Last Post: 03-30-2013, 06:39 PM
  2. Ibis Ripley
    By yeti575inCA in forum Yeti
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 03-25-2013, 04:45 PM
  3. Ibis ripley 29 set to roll!!!!!?
    By deofour in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-19-2013, 08:27 AM
  4. Ibis Ripley?
    By tantra in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 01-22-2013, 08:01 PM
  5. Pivot 429 vs Ibis Ripley
    By schneidw in forum Pivot Cycles
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 09-16-2011, 11:42 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •