Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2011

IBIS Ripley Reviews

Can't wait to see some reviews of the Ripley...I've been Googling and Binging my head against the wall looking for them.

Has anyone found one yet?

mtbr member
    As far as I remember, Ibis mentioned that they were gonna release reviews at the same time at the launch. However, it seems not to be the case, and also probably very difficult to do without leaks. I am really looking forward to those ride impressions :-)

mtbr member
    May 2011

Grams Light Bikes
    As far as I know, only some select dealers got to try the bike out, and outside of Wired, there wasn't any media during the Launch period. So reviews will must likely come from the lucky few customers who got the bike from the first shipment. I can't wait to try one out, but I have been in the queue for a long time, so who knows when something will be available? It will be a slow and arduous release process.

More Torque
    Quote Originally Posted by canuck_tacoma View Post
    I like the comments at the end of the wired article; when you've been into bikes for so long, it is easy to forget how >99% of people perceive bicycles.

-D

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I had a good laugh at that too. If only owning one of these expensive bikes made me "uber-wealthy" and a "Trail riding professional". One can dream, right?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Why Wired, of all media, to get the exclusive look?

Grams Light Bikes
    I asked the same thing when Wired was asked to come to Press Camp (they have a Dealer and Press Camp in Deer Valley every June that many vendors come to), and the company that runs the camps said:

"We have had Wired, Outside Magazine, Pop Science and other large name non-endemics over the years. These have been consistently requested by our customers as a strategy to breakout of the typical inner circles we tend to exist in."

I can't answer for Ibis, just what I was told for Press Camp. Again, as far as I know, except for Bike Magazine who got to see it a few weeks before the launch, no media got to see anything except Wired, and the media and customer base all got the same exact information and at the same exact time.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Makes sense, thanks for the details.

mtbr member
    I've got a buddy who works in a pretty big shop in LA who was in Santa Cruz in the last few weeks. He rode the Ripley for 2 days and he loved it. I ran into him on the trail today so I only had a few minutes to talk to him about it. He's getting the Ripley and selling off his other rides. He said it was that good.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

You had me at Rip...

I'll provide this, only slightly-informed review: (if you're looking for a ride review, skip this post...as I haven't ridden it).

I, too, saw the Ripley at Trailhead cyclery (in San Jose)...best bike shop you'll ever have the pleasure of dealing with. I'm a long-time Ibis rider...I still have a Szazbo from Gen 1 Ibis...I don't ride it anymore, but I'm keeping it. I had one of the first new Mojo's to come out...a couple SL's, and SL-R, and currently spend most of my riding time on my all-time favorite bike to date...an HD. (and yes, I've ridden non-Ibis bikes...too many list...in the last couple years I have owned / spent a good bit of time on S-works Enduro, Nomad C, S-works Epic 29, Tallboy LTc...and the trusty oldies...Rocklobster SS, 96 Race lite, Sycip tandem). I've always been a fan of Ibis because of the way they've treated me as a customer and their ability to continuously exceed my expectations with their bikes). I'm not a 29er-or-nothing guy....nor am I 26-or-die guy. I've been riding and loving 650b since Kirk P spun some of his first tires...and I still dig 650b.

So...I've followed all the speculation on the Ripley...eagerly anticipating the bike's arrival. But wasn't 'sold' until I saw it in person. Engineering marvel? yes. Do I believe it's going to be one of those ride-for-hours-and-get-lost (emotionally and, maybe physically) in-the-big-trees-of-santa-cruz bikes? yes. the 'category' of the bike? I stopped caring about categories many moons ago. But I'm, typically, a pretty prudent guy...wait and see, hear the reviews...work out the kinks...

BUT, I walked into the shop...I saw it...large, not medium like I need...black / green, not blue like I'd want...and I committed, on the spot, to buy one. It is beautiful in person...more beautiful than in the pictures. It's better-designed in person...more so than in the diagrams. It's really emotionally compelling. At least, to me. I just sold the SL-R to help fund it...anyone looking for a lighty-used Tallboy LTc? ;-)
    Last edited by riderup; 04-05-2013 at 04:24 PM. Reason: forgot something

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    As an long time Ibis owner and current HD rider, I can't wait to try the Ripley.

It's the axle
    Riderup, I'm selling my Porsche to buy a Ripley.

What's amazing to me is that at this date in biking the number of big changes that are being made. Between the Ripley, Industry Nine's new design, and XX1, I am finding enthusiasm like never before.
    Note to self: 85% of FTP for 20 min.

mtbr member
    Does anybody actually own this bike? The only reviews I have seen are from people that have demo'ed the bike for 30 minutes, people that say their LBS has their bike, or people that do a write up letting people know that they have seen one and placed an order for it. Wasn't the Ripley supposed to be released with several reviews/write-ups? The bike has been out for 3 weeks and nobody that owns one has written a review. Can we get some feedback here? And preferably not stating how wonderful the color is or what an engineering marvel it is. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Maybe the owners are too busy riding it to have time to write it up.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Mine is coming in Thursday, I'll report back

It's the axle
    Note to self: 85% of FTP for 20 min.

Sponge Brain
    Mar 2009
    Too bad they didn't have the opportunity of riding a 140mm fork Ripley, because it sounds like that combo would beat out the 429 as an overall trail bike...

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Anyone over 6'3" give me thoughts on sizing? I had a XL mojo a few years but the HD in XL was too small

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnzj View Post
    Too bad they didn't have the opportunity of riding a 140mm fork Ripley, because it sounds like that combo would beat out the 429 as an overall trail bike...
    Yes, it probably would.

While they tested both bikes with the same 120mm travel fork, the Pivot is basically a 100mm bike that likes being "over-forked" to 120mm. Likewise, the Ripley would gain stability, chunkability, and downhill chops @ 140mm. It's not too hard to imagine how they'd stack up for riding gnarly terrain if the Ripley had a 34x140 fork with the resulting slacker-than-Pivot head angle and an extra 20mm of travel on both ends.

What a nice ( 1st World ) problem to have, picking between those bikes. I've ridden the 429c and three different 429 alu's and they were all phenomenal bikes....

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by tws_andrew View Post
    Anyone over 6'3" give me thoughts on sizing? I had a XL mojo a few years but the HD in XL was too small
    There's a dedicated thread/threads addressing size....thanks.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    For me that's a promising review, as I am looking for a XC climb smasher to go with my HD.

Some of what was said doesn't surprise me. I found, coming off my previous bike, that I had to get used how high the HD sat up. Now I don't even notice it. Sounds like the Ripley may be the same?

All bike, all the time

Good point, hopefully someone will report on a 140 Ripley...

It definitely would be interesting to try the Ripley with the longer fork. I've added longer forks to past bikes with mixed results it can make everything sit up too high for overall riding but nothing approaching the Ripley's other assets (or 29er config). Hopefully someone can report back soon. AGREE choosing b/t these bikes is the kind of problem you love to have.

Quote Originally Posted by doismellbacon View Post
    Yes, it probably would.

While they tested both bikes with the same 120mm travel fork, the Pivot is basically a 100mm bike that likes being "over-forked" to 120mm. Likewise, the Ripley would gain stability, chunkability, and downhill chops @ 140mm. It's not too hard to imagine how they'd stack up for riding gnarly terrain if the Ripley had a 34x140 fork with the resulting slacker-than-Pivot head angle and an extra 20mm of travel on both ends.

What a nice ( 1st World ) problem to have, picking between those bikes. I've ridden the 429c and three different 429 alu's and they were all phenomenal bikes....
    All bike, all the time

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast