Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

IBIS Ripley Reviews

52K views 160 replies 58 participants last post by  westin 
#1 ·
Can't wait to see some reviews of the Ripley...I've been Googling and Binging my head against the wall looking for them. :madman:

Has anyone found one yet?

#2 ·
As far as I remember, Ibis mentioned that they were gonna release reviews at the same time at the launch. However, it seems not to be the case, and also probably very difficult to do without leaks. I am really looking forward to those ride impressions :)

#4 ·
As far as I know, only some select dealers got to try the bike out, and outside of Wired, there wasn't any media during the Launch period. So reviews will must likely come from the lucky few customers who got the bike from the first shipment. I can't wait to try one out, but I have been in the queue for a long time, so who knows when something will be available? It will be a slow and arduous release process. :confused:

#8 ·
I asked the same thing when Wired was asked to come to Press Camp (they have a Dealer and Press Camp in Deer Valley every June that many vendors come to), and the company that runs the camps said:

"We have had Wired, Outside Magazine, Pop Science and other large name non-endemics over the years. These have been consistently requested by our customers as a strategy to breakout of the typical inner circles we tend to exist in."

I can't answer for Ibis, just what I was told for Press Camp. Again, as far as I know, except for Bike Magazine who got to see it a few weeks before the launch, no media got to see anything except Wired, and the media and customer base all got the same exact information and at the same exact time.

#10 ·
I've got a buddy who works in a pretty big shop in LA who was in Santa Cruz in the last few weeks. He rode the Ripley for 2 days and he loved it. I ran into him on the trail today so I only had a few minutes to talk to him about it. He's getting the Ripley and selling off his other rides. He said it was that good.

#12 · (Edited)
You had me at Rip...

I'll provide this, only slightly-informed review: (if you're looking for a ride review, skip this post...as I haven't ridden it).

I, too, saw the Ripley at Trailhead cyclery (in San Jose)...best bike shop you'll ever have the pleasure of dealing with. I'm a long-time Ibis rider...I still have a Szazbo from Gen 1 Ibis...I don't ride it anymore, but I'm keeping it. I had one of the first new Mojo's to come out...a couple SL's, and SL-R, and currently spend most of my riding time on my all-time favorite bike to date...an HD. (and yes, I've ridden non-Ibis bikes...too many list...in the last couple years I have owned / spent a good bit of time on S-works Enduro, Nomad C, S-works Epic 29, Tallboy LTc...and the trusty oldies...Rocklobster SS, 96 Race lite, Sycip tandem). I've always been a fan of Ibis because of the way they've treated me as a customer and their ability to continuously exceed my expectations with their bikes). I'm not a 29er-or-nothing guy....nor am I 26-or-die guy. I've been riding and loving 650b since Kirk P spun some of his first tires...and I still dig 650b.

So...I've followed all the speculation on the Ripley...eagerly anticipating the bike's arrival. But wasn't 'sold' until I saw it in person. Engineering marvel? yes. Do I believe it's going to be one of those ride-for-hours-and-get-lost (emotionally and, maybe physically) in-the-big-trees-of-santa-cruz bikes? yes. the 'category' of the bike? I stopped caring about categories many moons ago. But I'm, typically, a pretty prudent guy...wait and see, hear the reviews...work out the kinks...

BUT, I walked into the shop...I saw it...large, not medium like I need...black / green, not blue like I'd want...and I committed, on the spot, to buy one. It is beautiful in person...more beautiful than in the pictures. It's better-designed in person...more so than in the diagrams. It's really emotionally compelling. At least, to me. I just sold the SL-R to help fund it...anyone looking for a lighty-used Tallboy LTc? ;-)

#14 ·
Riderup, I'm selling my Porsche to buy a Ripley.

What's amazing to me is that at this date in biking the number of big changes that are being made. Between the Ripley, Industry Nine's new design, and XX1, I am finding enthusiasm like never before.

#15 ·
Does anybody actually own this bike? The only reviews I have seen are from people that have demo'ed the bike for 30 minutes, people that say their LBS has their bike, or people that do a write up letting people know that they have seen one and placed an order for it. Wasn't the Ripley supposed to be released with several reviews/write-ups? The bike has been out for 3 weeks and nobody that owns one has written a review. Can we get some feedback here? And preferably not stating how wonderful the color is or what an engineering marvel it is. Thanks.

#23 ·
For me that's a promising review, as I am looking for a XC climb smasher to go with my HD.

Some of what was said doesn't surprise me. I found, coming off my previous bike, that I had to get used how high the HD sat up. Now I don't even notice it. Sounds like the Ripley may be the same?

#26 ·
The bike intelligencer review has no value apart from giving their subjective impression of a short test ride of two bikes without proper setup. Gives me very little and sounds like the Ripley was set up too hard.

simenf - brainwashed by the big wheel mafia.

#28 ·
The bike intelligencer review has no value apart from giving their subjective impression of a short test ride of two bikes without proper setup. Gives me very little and sounds like the Ripley was set up too hard.

simenf - brainwashed by the big wheel mafia.
To be fair, there are so few reviews out there, that this review is better than nothing. And they were honest - they said it was based on two short rides on a demo day. So you have to factor this in.

It is interesting that the 120mm bike came across as more XC while the 100mm bike came across as more trail orientated :) Hopefully we'll see more reviews over the coming weeks.

#29 ·
I had a chance to have a demo for to days. I put in a 2 hour ride each day. I am coming off of a niner rip 9. the ripley I rode had the fox 120mm on the front. I am in love with the rear suspension on this bike. Going back if I had to pick one thing I noticed about the bike that stood out it would be how it accelerates. As I write that it sounds weird cause you think leg power should dictate this. The way the rear suspension works in relation to pedal tension just makes the bike go with less effort in my opinion. The second thing would be the steering and handling. The cheesey phrase is it feels like a 26er. I wont cheese out and say that ,but I will say that it has the most fun, corner carving handling of any big wheel bike I have ridden. So yes I ordered one this will be a perfect bike to do endurance races while still having maximum trail riding fun.

#30 ·
I spoke with someone who shall remain anonymous because he's pretty well known on the forum. I conversed with him about his experience on the Ripley, and it mirrors almost exactly what you have said. So I guess that's just an emphasis on your post.

I'm dying to put one of these bikes together.

#34 ·
I briefly demoed one the other day, been tire kicking 140mm 29ers for about a year. Sold. Perfect blend of plush/efficiency and incredible tight quarters handling. Off the shelf xt build with a 140mm 34 was just a tick over 27 pounds. Very impressive.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.