mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Ibis Ripley: long term durability?

I am very much interested in getting the Ripley as a new trailbike. Infind the suspension layout quite slick and elegant, but I am wondering how it holds up agains real world abuse.

Are there already any experiences about the durability of the eccentric suspesion linkages?
    My worries are, that they are more prone to wearout and developing play by their compact design - which puts a lot more stress on them than a design with linkages, that are more separated from each other.

Any thoughts or insights?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Well you wont find too many people with "long term" riding experience since they just came out last April I think

mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Well, I know. Then maybe let's call it "mid term" 😉

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I share your concern, but I don't have much to add. I do know that Ibis made the eccentric pivots burlier recently, so I think it's safe to assume that there was some issue that triggered that change.

I take some comfort in Ibis' reputation for excellent customer service. But I still haven't pulled the trigger, mostly because I'm worried that an aluminum bike, like a turner flux or burner, would serve me better in the long, long term.

Just two cents from a guy sitting on the sidelines.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    For what it's worth, I love my Ripley and their customer service has been legit so far. I ordered a conversion kit for the wheels that came with the bike because I wanted to swap them for a new bike and it was really cheap, pretty sure it was at cost.

Very fun bike, just make sure you take the time to get the suspension setup correctly. Was having second thoughts until I got the sag correct (was too rough) and its been brilliant ever since.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I bought a Ripley as a replacement for my 1992 Merlin hardtail. I did a lot of reading about the long term durability of carbon.

Honestly, I don't think there is much to be concerned about. I've never been a fan of aluminium, prefer titanium, but I'm really happy with the Ripley. Ibis build their frames well, and stand behind their products.

mtbr member

Carbon done right, which is how Ibis does it, is MUCH stronger and more durable than aluminum.
    Their claimed reason for the beefed up eccentric was to give them greater tolerance for being over tightened by hamfisted amateur mechanics (my words not theirs) and it also stiffened the rear end a little bit.
    I'm curious to hear about long term bearing durability. I'd love it if the lower link rear bearings in my Mojo would last longer.....they did larger bearings in the HD to achieve that. I suspect that the Ripley bearings, which are MUCH larger still, would actually last a lot longer. The fact that we haven't heard about crunchy bearings one year after the release of the bike is a good sign.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    The bearings are also super easy to replace and not terribly expensive. Given my experience with 3 other Ibis bikes and their support, I would say it's a non-issue.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Quote Originally Posted by crlavoie View Post
    The bearings are also super easy to replace and not terribly expensive. Given my experience with 3 other Ibis bikes and their support, I would say it's a non-issue.
    Well, that's good to know. However I wouldn't want them to be replaced that often in the first place 😉