DOH!

Ibis Ripley/ Fango convert?

Have any of you guys ever converted a Ibis Ripley or a Fango to a SS? I have a dedicated SS but I really like the way my Ripley rides. I think it would make a killer SS.I let the chain on my SS get pretty loose at times and rarely has it ever derailed. I am going to use a 40 or 41 chain and non-ramped sprocket and chainring. Is a chain tensioner always necessary to convert a multi-speed frame to SS?
    what don't kill ya, make ya more strong.

Looking to Start Racing
    No, you have a few options. They basicly start and end with White Industries ENO hub.

But seeing as thats darn expensive, you can go with what they call the "magic ratio" But I hear it's basicly a myth and not worth the trouble.

Look into that hub, damn nice if ya ask me. I want one.....but the price is abit hight for me right now.
    Evolve or Die

mtbr member
    I know someone who ran a Ripley SS and it was fine. There are "magic" ratios that do not require tensiners. My 1988 Diamondback Apex works well with 42:18 for commuting; no tensioner. Try different gear combinations and try to find something that is close. The chain does not have to be real tight, I can move the chain on the Apex up and down about 1" and it has never come off even riding offroad. Here is a chain length calculator I found that might be helpful: http://www.peak.org/~fixin/personal/fmu/php/formfmu.php

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I am running an Ibis Silk-Ti as a singlespeed with Eno hub. It runs great as singlespeed. Definitely worth doing.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I have just converted my Fango to SS.

I heard that a 32:18 ratio doesnt require a tensioner; at first it did but after 30 miles or so the chain had 'broken in' so i could take a link out and get the magic ratio. Works a treat.

32:18 is lower than what many use but i find it ideal for muddy trails.