mtbr member

Ibis Ripley: Can You Throw Me a Bone Please?

After nearly four years on my current sled, I'm itching to build a new FS 29er this spring. I've been trying to hold out for the Ripley for the last 6 months or so, but that's getting harder and harder with little word on release date, geometry, etc, and when Pivot, Niner, and others all have some pretty nice carbon FS 29ers on offer. It doesn't help that the new bike is already fully funded by savings, meaning the cash is burning a hole in my pocket.

Hans: I know there's a push to underpromise and overdeliver here, but can you throw us a bone? I'd hate to spring for the Pivot and have the Ripley come out the next month. On the other hand, if the Ripley is going to be significantly further delayed, it might be good to just move on with life and get something else.
    Last edited by D_Man; 02-13-2013 at 12:10 PM.

DILLIGAF
    subscribed

MSH
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by D_Man View Post
    After nearly four years on my current sled, I'm itching to build a new FS 29er this spring. I've been trying to hold out for the Ripley for the last 6 months or so, but that's getting harder and harder with little word on release date, geometry, etc, and when Pivot, Niner, and others all have some pretty nice carbon FS 29ers on offer. It doesn't help that the new bike is already fully funded by savings, meaning the cash is burning a hole in my pocket.

Hans: I know there's a push to underpromise and overdeliver here, but can you throw us a bone? I'd hate to spring for the Pivot and have the Ripley come out the next month. On the other hand, if the Ripley is going to be significantly further delayed, it might be good to just move on with life and get something else.
    Right there with you. I have a full XX1 gruppo, new RS SID 120 fork,DT240/LB carbon wheelset just built up by Chad @ Red Barn, etc, etc just waiting for the Ripley. My name is in the queue with one of the NorCal dealers. Everything is ready to go!! Just need the frame! I'm willing to hold out a bit longer than you are it sounds like, but if it hits May-ish timeframe and there is nothing, like you, I'm on to the 429C

Dropshot Champ!
    I'd bet they show it off at sea otter.

Timeline fits.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    They have ALREADY showed it off. At interbike 2 years ago! I don't really give a crap for them to show it off anymore, just get it out the door or tell everyone you moved on to something else so we can.

Don't get me wrong I am waiting as well but, I will buy something come May, 429c, Tallboy, etc. if no Ripley.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    After nearly four years on my current sled, I'm itching to build a new FS 29er this spring. I've been trying to hold out for the Ripley
    We totally understand your position and it drives us more than you could imagine to make it excellent. It will be ready soon and things are looking great, better than any previous model we've released.

We will be shipping in time for this riding season and the detailed specs and initial shipments will happen before the Sea Otter.

Hans
    Hans
    Ibis Cycles, Inc.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Sounds like it's ready to pop!

mtbr member
    Very good to hear! Thanks, Hans.

MSH
    mtbr member
    Very good to hear! Thanks, Hans.
    +1. Thanks for the update Hans!!
    <---this guy = frothing at the mouth

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Eh I got a real Ripley....2001..... :-)

The new ones do sound like they will be sweet though......

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Or you can build a 650b mojo hd right now and have the best of both worlds!!! I've never had more fun on any bike in my life...20", 26", 29" whatever.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Is the counter on the top right of the Ibis website for the unveiling of the Ripley? ~ March 16th?

Quote Originally Posted by hanssc View Post
    We totally understand your position and it drives us more than you could imagine to make it excellent. It will be ready soon and things are looking great, better than any previous model we've released.

We will be shipping in time for this riding season and the detailed specs and initial shipments will happen before the Sea Otter.

Hans

MSH
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fitnessgeek View Post
    Is the counter on the top right of the Ibis website for the unveiling of the Ripley? ~ March 16th?
    Nice call! Looks like day after St Patty's Day release (10AM PST Monday, 3/18)? Load up on beers on Sunday (17th), ride your Ripley on Monday

mtbr member
    So, I expect that there are gonna be a few reviews of the Ripley released at the same time as the expected unveiling/release. Most of us will not be able to ride the Ripley before ordering if we're to ride it this summer, so we have to read and decide. So which reviewers/magazines would be more and less credible in your opinion to review the Ripley?

mtbr member
    OK, to me twentynineinches.com and pinkbike.com would probably be at the top of my credibility list based on the reviews I have seen in the past, with 29eronline.com (sort of alternative take) and bikeradar.com (can be very good reviews - or terribly bad) following right behind.

MTBR Contributing Editor
    Most of us reviewers are in the dark as much as you are...

aka dan51
    They'll probably be announcing another bike that will be years until you can buy one, and they'll say "sorry, still no dates for the ripley. We are working on it to make it the best ever. Stay tuned". Or maybe they'll post specs...
    Those who know, ride a Mojo AND a Mojo HD.
    Quadzilla
    Quote Originally Posted by benja55
    Ok, whatever, cold water on my bike boner right there.